Why do YOU carry a personal jump/trauma bag?

Fox

Forum Crew Member
I've heard some people mention carrying their own jump/trauma bags and always for different reasons. Then I've heard some say they would never, ever carry one. I've not really understood the appeal and I've been quite curious. (I'm fresh out of school, so I still have a lot to learn and this is one thing that makes me curious.) I just want to know for fun, not to call anyone a whacker or debate about the pros/cons of carrying a personal bag. I'm just intrigued. ^_^

So why do you carry a jump/trauma bag? What's inside? Do you use it often?

If you don't carry one, why not? Do you ever wish you did?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Never carried one, never plan to.

Can't think of anything I would need it for. If I am doing CPR as a bystander, it is compression only.

If somebody is conscious and bleeding i'll give them instructions.

If somebody is not, if i see the opportunity to safely apply pressure i'll just use some of their cloths.

I am not taking anyones vitals,heart tones, etc. and determining from that if they should or shouldn't seek medical attention. I am always going to encourage them to no matter what I find on assessment.

If somebody is choking, I require no gear.

I am not altering diabetics without a glucometer unless i am related or a close friend and know that they are likely hypoglycemic from history.

I am certainly not giving medications to people I don't know or performing invasive procedures when not working.

I am not hauling around an AED and all the headache that comes with it "just incase."

I am not playing mad scientist and mixing chemicals outside the medical environment if I suspect an ingestion injury.

If I suspect an inhalation or contact injury I am running away, try to keep up.

Nothing I can do for massive burns. Everything i need to care for a minor burn is readily available.

If I suspect a spinal injury and i am inclined to help, I am just going to hold manual stabilization.

babies come out on their own, and if they don't then calling for help and giving instructions is what I am doing unless i am very good friends with the lady.

What else could I possibly need?

ScoopandSwoop

Forum Probie
I carry golf clubs, hockey skates, and a gym bag (along with the occasional dirty sportswear). Not one band aid, no pocket mask, etc.

My job ends at the end of my shift, and begins at the beginnig of my shift. Anything in between (other than family) is someone elses job. I will call 9-1-1 for someone.

Call it cold and insensiitive, but I've had a great, long career in this industry, and whatched a whole lot of 24 hour a day life-savers burn out. Call me odd, no text messages either.

And no scanner at home, nor lights, emblems or decals on my car.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
BP cuff, stethoscope, ophthalmoscope, otoscope, tunning forks, reflex hammer, and snellen chart. Of course that's just because I can't be half assed to take it out of my trunk outside when I need it for clinic or standardized patients...

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes I have a bag in my trunk and yes I've used it.... on myself.

+1 on Vene's post. It hits the nail right on the head.

I carry some stuff in my trunk for me and potentially friends/family as needed. I'm talking pepto bismol in case the burrito doesn't go down well, band-aids for trail-side boo-boo fixin-up, and ibuprofen because I have bad knees and hike a lot. I had a whacker-acquaintance give me a bunch of stuff like a BVM and IV supplies that I have never used and almost certainly never will. It sits in my trunk because I didn't know what else to do with it. I will probably end up donating it to Project C.U.R.E. (sends medical supplies to impoverished areas).

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I have a box latex gloves in my trunk... but they've been there for nearly 2 years, in Texas summer heat, so I wouldn't count on them holding up.

I'm not opposed to helping people off duty, to the BLS level, as long as it doesn't impede on me. I'm not going to stop at an accident in the middle of a road to render assistance, as sorry, but if I'm not being paid I'm not risking it.

But I have been known to render first aid to people at my paintball field (3 times last summer actually). The owner, manager, and refs all know I'm a Medic so they often volunteer me as assistance. I don't mind, it gets me free stuff at the field, and it's typically something like a scraped up leg from rocks.

I'm not opposed to buying some stuff strictly for my family and having it in my trunk, but seeing as how I'm broke as it is, it's not on my list of priorities.

If I can't fix it with my gloved hands alone, an ambulance better be on the way.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I carried mine so my coworkers wouldn't steal or strip it at work.

Also used it at scout events, football, cheerleading, three accident scenes, and on myself and family quite a bit over the years.

Use SEARCH and read what folks have in their kits. I've listed stuff thrice and am tired. And old.

Do not get into the "single combat with Death" deal.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I have a bag in my car with a pretty basic first aid kit for myself, friends, and family.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a CPR pocket mast with gloves on my keychain. That's all I carry.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I carry a bag in my work truck, but it is primarily because we do a lot of tower work at very remote locations where it could take a ground ambulance 45-60 minutes to arrive, and a helicopter (if available) has a 35-45 minute flight time.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a first aid kit in my trunk as well. I do carry a more comprehensive kit while hiking and camping, but that is mostly so I can save my own ***.

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
I carry golf clubs, hockey skates, and a gym bag (along with the occasional dirty sportswear). Not one band aid, no pocket mask, etc.

My job ends at the end of my shift, and begins at the beginnig of my shift. Anything in between (other than family) is someone elses job. I will call 9-1-1 for someone.

Call it cold and insensiitive, but I've had a great, long career in this industry, and whatched a whole lot of 24 hour a day life-savers burn out. Call me odd, no text messages either.

And no scanner at home, nor lights, emblems or decals on my car.

I think lights on the car are extensive and unnecessary, really. I was kinda weirded out by the fact that you could even apply them as an EMT.

I could understand why VFD would have them, though.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just curious, why would it be acceptable for VFD but not VEMS?

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
Aside from some large bandaides for knees, and a few random princess bandaides from my daughter, you guys have me beat on even the first aide kits!

I know of someone around here that has a large truck with decals all over it, vanity plates, lights, only wears shirts related to the profession, and carries a bag. Unfortunately he is not neccessarily the kind of person you'd want to work on you, seeing as he is in it for glory and does not retain the knowledge.

But I've seen normal calm people carry a bag in their vehicles, too. I've heard everything from "for family and friends" or "I volunteer..."

My biggest at home effort was to try to teach my family CPR, just in case, but they informed me that I had CPR and that was fine. Yes, but what if I'm not around? Well, that's alright, my dad use to know how 30 years ago... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
Just curious, why would it be acceptable for VFD but not VEMS?

Well, I guess I should change that, not really acceptable, understandable I guess.

In my area there are some places that are pretty spread out, and if some of the VFD don't spend the night in their station. I could understand the chief driving on scene with lights and sirens on his car, but it's still a road hazard, I think. So I guess that's not really a great idea either, but if you have to wait for all your VFD to show up on scene... haha, it's a catch, maybe you should move closer.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
I carry some vitamin I in my backpack. I hike miles, sometimes by myself, in some remote areas in NW Montana, so I'll bring minor things with me when I'm doing that.

I once met a whacker at an educational seminar; he had the whole kaboodle: lights, stars of life, oxygen cylinder, and the back seat folded down to accommodate a spineboard should the vehicle "be required to become an emergency vehicle in the case of an MCI." The person also had a King airway and other items.

Since meeting him, I've realized that I should at least mount a mini-mod on the back of my Buick Park Avenue, should I ever need to serve as a temporary emergency vehicle in times of crisis.

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
I carry some vitamin I in my backpack. I hike miles, sometimes by myself, in some remote areas in NW Montana, so I'll bring minor things with me when I'm doing that.

I once met a whacker at an educational seminar; he had the whole kaboodle: lights, stars of life, oxygen cylinder, and the back seat folded down to accommodate a spineboard should the vehicle "be required to become an emergency vehicle in the case of an MCI." The person also had a King airway and other items.

Since meeting him, I've realized that I should at least mount a mini-mod on the back of my Buick Park Avenue, should I ever need to serve as a temporary emergency vehicle in times of crisis.
:blink::huh:

LOL! The spineboard comment broke my brain.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Don't worry, it'll self-repair. I'm from the land of whackers. Terrible blight upon the face of EMS. No need for me to pontificate voluminously upon such mentally indelible horrors.