Who wears knee-pads?

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Wanted so see who wore them. Seems like your knees would get beaten up attending to patients. Was thinking of getting some small ones that would go underneath my uniform. Any thoughts?

Bosco578

Forum Captain
Wanted so see who wore them. Seems like your knees would get beaten up attending to patients. Was thinking of getting some small ones that would go underneath my uniform. Any thoughts?

Curious,do you kneel alot on calls. Not being a SA,but how often are you on your knees? I don't think they are needed unless you have them and are on a particular rescue type call,even then I think our backs and joints are at more risk.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
I don't think I've actually ever knelt on a call, so I'm wondering how many times you've actually had to place your knee on the ground and what situations have warranted that. But, then again, I usually work in some pretty nasty areas, where you either don't want your uniform touching the ground or you need to be mobile and not stuck on the ground.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Curious,do you kneel alot on calls. Not being a SA,but how often are you on your knees? I don't think they are needed unless you have them and are on a particular rescue type call,even then I think our backs and joints are at more risk.

I am not a EMT, just fixing to start classes and was curious about this. In all the videos I see people on their knees. I don't see how you could do a proper assessment just bending over, not the way they show assessments being done on videos.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I try to squat... this results in my occasionally busting a seam on my trousers... but it beats kneeling in vomit. Of course, I accidentally did that last month, too. That was bad.

The various 5.11 pants have kneepads available, and the TDU pants come with kneepads. I have used them occasionally... I actually put them in for camping trips when I know I'm going to be crawling around setting up tents. I tried wearing them on duty and took them out because they were uncomfortable.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
kneeling happens, but not enough to necessitate kneepads.

Bosco578

Forum Captain
I am not a EMT, just fixing to start classes and was curious about this. In all the videos I see people on their knees. I don't see how you could do a proper assessment just bending over, not the way they show assessments being done on videos.

Ahhh the ol' training videos. I think you will find most of us if need be will crouch and not be on our knees if not absolutly neccessary. ( Cardiac arrest - Person doing CPR ) . I can get my hx and Tx, without being on my knees. Even boarding a trauma, more of a crouch.

Most of the videos are in clean class room type settings,so keep that in mind,however for the most part not too much time is spent on one's knees. (insert comment here lol)

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
Kneeling is not a good idea. I used to squat by patients but my old knees gave out on that too. Now I bend over them. I am fortunate that I am flexible and I have a strong back . I think knee pads are really useless in the field.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Kneeling is not a good idea. I used to squat by patients but my old knees gave out on that too. Now I bend over them. I am fortunate that I am flexible and I have a strong back . I think knee pads are really useless in the field.

So if you are doing a rapid assessment on someone, and you need to place a bandage, you do all of that bending over them? Guess I just need to be there and get some experience. I also thought that maybe you could change clothes from time to time, especially if you get really dirty on a call.

I mean if you have to stop some bleeding and apply pressure, or use a pressure point, then I guess you just have to tough it out and do whatever is needed. I dunno.

BEorP

Forum Captain
I don't think I've actually ever knelt on a call, so I'm wondering how many times you've actually had to place your knee on the ground and what situations have warranted that. But, then again, I usually work in some pretty nasty areas, where you either don't want your uniform touching the ground or you need to be mobile and not stuck on the ground.

The need to perform adequate chest compressions has warranted it for me.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
i don't wear knee pads...but i have a reason to. i take a knee when i do rapid assessments on an unconscious patient that way i can slide on the ground and get to each place and not hurt my back. i try and crouch like everyone else, mostly because if your patients suddenly wants to vomit or take a swing at you, you can move faster.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Well, the old joke is that the "head nurse" wears them but ... that is a totally different story. As well, one soon learn that placing your knee down.. one can rely upon that old saying.."If it is warm, wet or sticky..."

R/r 911

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Well, the old joke is that the "head nurse" wears them but ... that is a totally different story. As well, one soon learn that placing your knee down.. one can rely upon that old saying.."If it is warm, wet or sticky..."

R/r 911

I love it! I was going to say "some of my girlfriends", but you beat me to it Rid!

gradygirl

TROUBLE
The need to perform adequate chest compressions has warranted it for me.

Point taken, but I was referring to general patient assessment. Then again, the only time I've had to do compressions, I've been stretcher surfing. :p

I personally try not to kneel or squat much. At 21, I have a bad right knee that I've had surgery on, so I'm trying to save it for as long as I can.

Forum Probie
I end up on a knee fairly often but I do not wear pads. Don't need 'em. And I don't kneel in broken glass, or blood, or vomit.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
I knee quite often to get down on the same level as granny when she's sitting in her chair... of course the fact that I'm 6'8" might have a little to do with it... :unsure: ^_^

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I just thought it might hurt a little having to do it constantly on asphalt or rock roads. Especially some of the asphalt roads that are done cheaply, thanks for all the input so far.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't recall ever kneeling by a pt. When you look at what your knees are heading for, I think we make other choices for position. In an MVA, when I might have to crawl to a pt, I'm wearing bunker gear, which has good solid padding on the knees.

As a lifelong gardener, I've found most knee pads to be more of an annoyance than a help. The straps never fit well and the pads themselves are uncomfortable. I have a dense foam board that I kneel on in the garden but can't imagine that being of use on an EMS call.

I think you are trying to solve a potential problem with an unneccessary solution.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't recall ever kneeling by a pt. When you look at what your knees are heading for, I think we make other choices for position. In an MVA, when I might have to crawl to a pt, I'm wearing bunker gear, which has good solid padding on the knees.

As a lifelong gardener, I've found most knee pads to be more of an annoyance than a help. The straps never fit well and the pads themselves are uncomfortable. I have a dense foam board that I kneel on in the garden but can't imagine that being of use on an EMS call.

I think you are trying to solve a potential problem with an unneccessary solution.

What solution do you think works best? I am just thinking if you are assessing pt's, that you often be on your knees. Now if you are in a yard or house or such, I guess its not a big deal. But being on your knees alot on highways and roads, I think would lead to some pain. Maybe you just grin and bear it, since you certainly would be on them for more than 5-10 minutes I guess.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think you'll find that most medic pants are relatively thick, and many have reinforced knee areas.

I usually bend over or bring the patient to a height where I work best. Kneeling down usually means contamination, and I like to avoid that. I'll kneel when doing CPR on scene, but that's about it.