Where is everyone from?

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
I'm from West By God Virginia.

emtvestsquad1

Forum Probie
im from sellersburg, in. in indiana we have a level of care between basic and intermediate... advanced. i am an advanced, we carry cardiac monitors, start IV's manual defib. glucose checks... just no drugs. but neway i work for sellersburg fire dept dba clark county ems i southern indiana about 2-3 miles from louisville, ky, (ya know where the derby is) ive got about 2 weeks til i test for my medic. but we have 5 fire stations and 6 ems stations. so its a moderate sized service.

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
Hi. I don't post too often...& don't think I've ever introduced myself.

I'm from Southeastern Virginia, just outside of Virginia Beach. I've been running with a very busy volunteer squad for the past 2 years & LOVE it. It's a nice departure from my "real" job in hospital administration.

I'm hoping to finish my master's degree over the next year & 1/2 & then I want to continue on to intermediate or paramedic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor B

Forum Crew Member
Hey all, I currently reside in my own state of mind! :) Oh Sorry.....
I'm a CCEMT-P from NW Illinois. Wonder Lake to be exact (1.5 hrs. NW of Chicago).
Currently employed as a career FF/PM and as a Flight Paramedic in Northern IL/ SE Wisconsin.

BDhooghe

Forum Ride Along
Hello All...

Well, to start, my husband and I are volunteer EMT-basics for a fire department in Michigan. We have been EMTs for just over a year. I am in the process of going to school to get my RN and am hoping to open a four bed burn unit at my local hospital.

Next, I know this is for introductions, but I truly need help. One month ago, I lost my mother and I have some questions about the run report. I would appreciate a neutral party to assist me in critiquing the medic's run report as there are a few things that I have questions on. If anyone is able/willing to assist me, please email me. Your assistance is GREATLY appreciated.
(bdhooghe@tds.net)

cpsains

Forum Probie
My name is chris I live in Boise ID area. I have been here for about 2 yrs. Moved here from Kalamazoo MI. I have been in the fire service for 12 yrs now and I am working as a vollunteer for a local fire dept as an EMT-B.

SarahTAAS

Forum Ride Along
I'm from a small town in Wisconsin, from which i was born and raised. Don't laugh but I have only been out of the state once for 8 hours:blush: and that was to the Mall of America in Minnesota. I have been a part time/volunteer EMT-B for 8 years.

Jay114

Forum Crew Member
I'm from Gloucester, a small city on the ocean, north of Boston Massachusetts.
See the movie The Perfect Storm? Yep, they made it here...

MedicChuck

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone!! New guy here from Western Pennsylvania! EMT-P for approx. 10 years...

GO STEELERS!!!

uctke283

Forum Ride Along
I am from southern Conn. I am currently in EMT-B School. I was certified previously but let my cert expire while doing other things (ARMY) Now I am back, and looking to get busy again.

NJN

The Young One
Hey yall, i'm from central NJ and ave been running calls for about 6 1/2 months now at a very very busy paid/volly service and lovin all most every minute of it.
Currently CPR/FA and plan to go into basic school sometime next year.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Well then; I'm Dave, originally from Lakewood, Ohio, hard up against the lovely borders of Lake Erie and Cleveland (OK, maybe I'm being just a *bit* facetious). Lived in Rochester, Michigan for a few years, then joined the Air Force and have since lived in SC (x2), Arkansas, NM, Germany, Korea and Florida, with side trips to places like Saudi Arabia (x5 or so), Turkey, Qatar, Canada, Austria, England, Japan, and others. I'm now retired from my service to Uncle Sam and currently live in the Southern US, far from anything resembling a snow shovel. The only salt I now have to spread is on the rim of a Margarita, and that suits me fine. I've been a firefighter, EMT (recently upgraded to EMT-I/85) or both since 1980. Proud to be from Ohio, but oh so glad to live in the South :p. Next!!!

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
John; Indianapolis; 1st post here.

Medic for almost 3 years
Work part time at a combination FD in marion County (Indianapolis).

Full time at a private service that has Wheelchair, BLS and ALS and is based in Indy, but goes everywhere. I have done 3 15hr+ transports. and we just bought out a small service in Jasonville (SE of Terre Haute).

LIFEGUARDAVIDAS

Forum Crew Member
Hi everybody! Thanks for allowing me to be in EMTlife and though I haven't posted much I learned a lot.

I was born in Israel in 1983 but I moved to Argentina when I was 10. I've been living in the Province of Neuquen (in the Patagonia region) and during a couple of years I lived on the Atlantic coast in the Province of Buenos Aires. Then back to Patagonia.

I worked seasonally in the US in summer seasons of 2004, 2006 and 2007. Spent most of my time in Alabama, California and New Jersey/New York.

I am a professional lifeguard and among my certifications I am a PHTLS Advanced Provider. I took it last year at UCLA Center for Pre-hospital Care / Daniel Freeman Hospital Paramedic School in Inglewood, CA. It was a great course I recommend to everybody. It was quite an experience for me though, since I took it obviously in English (my third language) and without even being an EMT-B! -My only training in Pre-hospital emergency medical care until then was AHA BLS, ARC first aid and ARC CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer ("CPRO").

I would like to get a US working visa (longer than the 4-month one) in order to, among other things, become and EMT-B and later an EMT-Paramedic. Followed by a year round lifeguard job position in one of the 'big' agencies.

In the meantime I keep working seasonally and "counter" seasonally (summer in Argentina goes from December to April) skipping winters. :)

About EMS in Argentina... as I mentioned in some of my posts... It's as chaotic as the country general situation. Ambulances and ERs are equiped quite basically. Ambulances are staffed differently in three main levels:

-The most basic one is for patient transport only and almost never for emergencies. Staffed with a dirver and a "camillero" (stretcherer in Spanish).

-The next level is the most common one for emergencies. Equipped for BBLS (not a typo). ;) Staffed with a driver and a "camillero" and only sometimes a doctor.

-The most "advanced" one has usually an old defribilator and BLS equipment. These ambulances are more common in main urban areas. Staffed by a driver, a "camillero" and a doctor. (Neither of the three properly trained for pre-hospital care). Intubation is never done in the field here even if there's a doctor. Mainly becasue the budgets are really low.

There are some paramedic courses here and there but most are not recognized by the province / federal government. Even in those cases where one of those courses is recognized by the government, laws and equipment limitations don't allow a paramedic to work as such. So, a paramedic in Argentina (really a rare case) works as a "camillero" and is not allowed to do anything. Plus he/she will ride with the driver and the doctor.

Emergency vehicle driving training of any kind is provided to ambulance staff in Argentina (neither to police agents or firefighters).

Also, there are no professional firefighters in Argentina. In every province capital city and big cities the provincial police (equivalent to state police -there are no city/county LE agencies) has a fire division. So its firefighters are police agents with training in firefighting. Also, the Argentinean Federal Police and the Coast Guard have their own fire divisions. Their jurisdiction is limited to some ports and the nation's capital (city of Buenos Aires). Their firefighters are police/coast guard agents. (Similar to the Port Authority Police Dept. firefighters in NY/NJ).

In rural areas and small cities local volunteer fire associations are the providers of the service. Some volunteer fire assocs. are fairly equiped and have some kind of formal training. Other are poorly equiped and the rookie volunteers learn from the senior staff in a kind of "in-service training." Some volunteer assoications have Jr. Firefighters programs and these teenagers only assist the volunteers in big disasters in logistics.

Well... that is all for now. Comments and queries are welcome.

Guri

bonedog

Forum Lieutenant
Kamloops in BC, which has had Critical Care for 25 years, called "Airevac", provincial service, used to have full time medics in most towns, now many have been retired into parttime spots.
26 years in the back ...

mervyn

Forum Ride Along
OK Well my name is Mervyn,im from South Wales UK.I joined the Ambulance Service on 19-02-1971. [Now a Total of 36 years,but have had to call it a day this july and finish on ill health COPD.]I became a Paramedic November 1992,and went on to become a Sub Officer,i have always been operational,as this is what i love to do,but i have gained experiance in Dispatch work,I sat and obtained the MPDS cert,and also spent a time in Resorce unit.I have tried to gain as much knowledge of all aspects of the Ambulance work as i could,i think a good understanding of the system, makes you a better care provider.Im still very keen to keep in touch with ambulance work,so i would be very grateful if you continue to allow me to monitor this site,i have found it of great interest to date

emt/ff71185

Forum Probie
My name is Jake and I am from central IL. I volunteer for a Fire Department that just picked up an ambulance service because the local ALS service just closed down. I also work in another small town in the county as a part-time emt-b.

gnh2276

Forum Crew Member
thought I replied to this but I guess not. I am from maine and licensed in maine but I am in Arizona with the military and applying for my AZ license and I dont think I am going back to maine I am moving to West Virginia