When does Los Angeles county bids renew???

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I was thinking McCormick is pretty legit and seem to care about their employees. And maybe CARE, but I see your point.

But then, many of those EMTs/medics that don't care still want to go fire. Maybe to get paid more to not care lol.
They are all JR fireman and in reality glorified gurney jockeys.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I was thinking McCormick is pretty legit and seem to care about their employees. And maybe CARE, but I see your point.

But then, many of those EMTs/medics that don't care still want to go fire. Maybe to get paid more to not care lol.

You're right, McCormick as a company, is not bad, ethically. Good, stable company, with no reports of medicare fraud, sketchy calls, etc... It's also run by people who seemingly care about what is going on in the company. I've never heard an EMT complain about working there.

However, there are still problems, even with the good companies.
1) Private paramedics arent paramedics* (WOAH! I know, calm down. I mean this is the eyes of county EMS and the Fire Dept. Private Paramedics cannot work 911 calls as an ALS provider.) In LA County, if you want to be a paramedic, but do more than transfers, you have to be a Firefighter too. I don't want to be a firefighter, I just want to provide quality, pre-hospital care to my patients. I cant do that in LA County, which is why I left.
2) Have you SEEN what they are getting paid at McCormick. It's pretty bad. I recall the work "McBroke" being written on the white board in the EMS room at St. Francis..
3) Even good companies, have to play by Counties rules...
4) and this is the most puzzling... Nearly everyone working for a 911 company wants to be a Firefighter, which in of itself, is great! But the companies seem to encourage it, which encourages turn over, which means you have very few experienced providers on the ambulance. There is another large 911 company that routinely parades around their employees that leave for the FD all over social media, as if its an accomplishment. One of them was an operations manager. I dont run an ambulance company, nor do I pretend to, or think I have any remote idea what it's like, but, employee retention seems like a solid strategy regardless of industry.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
1) Private paramedics arent paramedics* (WOAH! I know, calm down. I mean this is the eyes of county EMS and the Fire Dept. Private Paramedics cannot work 911 calls as an ALS provider.) In LA County, if you want to be a paramedic, but do more than transfers, you have to be a Firefighter too. I don't want to be a firefighter, I just want to provide quality, pre-hospital care to my patients. I cant do that in LA County, which is why I left.

Which is also why I will never recommend anyone to work in LACo. Its so *** backwards its not even amusing anymore.

4) and this is the most puzzling... Nearly everyone working for a 911 company wants to be a Firefighter, which in of itself, is great! But the companies seem to encourage it, which encourages turn over, which means you have very few experienced providers on the ambulance. There is another large 911 company that routinely parades around their employees that leave for the FD all over social media, as if its an accomplishment. One of them was an operations manager. I dont run an ambulance company, nor do I pretend to, or think I have any remote idea what it's like, but, employee retention seems like a solid strategy regardless of industry.

That seems to be the norm with private companies across So CAL. Not the parading of employees leaving for a FD but more of this is a stepping stone for a FD. Employee retention is always a problem in my opinion.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Which is also why I will never recommend anyone to work in LACo. Its so *** backwards its not even amusing anymore.

That seems to be the norm with private companies across So CAL. Not the parading of employees leaving for a FD but more of this is a stepping stone for a FD. Employee retention is always a problem in my opinion.
Actually imagine a legitimate company that would take care of its employees in LA county.......

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Actually imagine a legitimate company that would take care of its employees in LA county.......

Blasphemy!

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Blasphemy!
Just like LAFD spending $2 million dollars in tax payer money to recruit people. They are having a hard time. When FD is having a hard time hiring its only worse for private. Especially when there are limited emt schools and very fewsigning up as well as alot of people fed up and leaving the industry.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Just like LAFD spending $2 million dollars in tax payer money to recruit people. They are having a hard time. When FD is having a hard time hiring its only worse for private. Especially when there are limited emt schools and very fewsigning up as well as alot of people fed up and leaving the industry.

My tin foil hat going on here, but they are NOT having a hard time hiring...

They are having a hard time hiring the people that the lawyers want them to hire.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
My tin foil hat going on here, but they are NOT having a hard time hiring...

They are having a hard time hiring the people that the lawyers want them to hire.
Yea, the dictatorship. Even than they are on hard times for those particular applicants. Rescue 2 covering for rescue 47 on the border of Alhambra due to not enough medics just proves fire needs to leave ems.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Yea, the dictatorship. Even than they are on hard times for those particular applicants. Rescue 2 covering for rescue 47 on the border of Alhambra due to not enough medics just proves fire needs to leave ems.

That is a larger systemic problem that we face every day in Bakersfield.

trell959

Forum Probie
Any news on proposed bids!!? I don't even know where to look and I've found a few odd links that haven't given me much info. I heard from some PRN employees that they're looking to pick up a little 911 experience but these rumors may just be rumors. I have interviews for them and Liberty so I'm trying to choose the best one with a few 911 calls since I haven't had a job yet, until I go straight 911.
Lmao. This rumor only grew at PRN because they bought a bunch of red Transits. Red=911 I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Update: from what ive heard,
AMR lost SGV but retained Santa Clarita and AV. Schaefer lost all 911 due to an under bid and CARE is now the new provider for the 210 corridor and all the old amr/schaefer areas. Mccormick retained their areas. Anyone got anything to back this up?

Nick15

Forum Crew Member
Update: from what ive heard,
AMR lost SGV but retained Santa Clarita and AV. Schaefer lost all 911 due to an under bid and CARE is now the new provider for the 210 corridor and all the old amr/schaefer areas. Mccormick retained their areas. Anyone got anything to back this up?

Yes that's true. I work in the San Gabriel division for AMR and found out last Friday in a memo that got posted. Most of us went surprised, but I was kinda shocked because we had heard we were getting of Schaeffer's area to have the whole San Gabriel Valley ourselves.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes that's true. I work in the San Gabriel division for AMR and found out last Friday in a memo that got posted. Most of us went surprised, but I was kinda shocked because we had heard we were getting of Schaeffer's area to have the whole San Gabriel Valley ourselves.
Yikes. Are they talking lay offs?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
McCormick will be keeping all our areas, plus gaining Paramount and Compton on top (though we *may* [well probably] lose Redondo Beach if/when they follow through with their plan to start transporting themselves....but looks like we'll probably gain Hermosa Beach real soon...they're talking about switching to County Fire and besides already in our area, one of our Paramedic units already runs as their backups first in ALS resource when they can't staff their own ALS ambulance due to they simply don't have enough FF/PMs to fully staffed all 3 shifts)

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Truly sucks for my fellow LA County peeps.
With that being said where's there's change there's also opportunity.

Y'all know where to find me...

Nick15

Forum Crew Member
From what I heard they'll still run ifts with the contracted hospitals in the division which is a handful but still won't be enough to keep everyone employed.