When does Los Angeles county bids renew???

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
In San Diego thanks to the unions effort they will be making liveable wages.

Thanks to the San Diego City Council EMS contractors with the city contract will be paid a livable wage. The wage increase is expected to start the first week of March. Is all of AMR part of that? As of right now it looks like just R/M.

Before the City Council was involved there was a lot of talk of being priced out of the market if there ever was to be wage increases. That came from BOTH AMR and the Union.

I know your point was simply stating Southern California isn't as saturated as it used to be as early as 2 years ago. I agree with that. Sorry for derailing the thread. Carry on y'all!

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks to the San Diego City Council EMS contractors with the city contract will be paid a livable wage. The wage increase is expected to start the first week of March. Is all of AMR part of that? As of right now it looks like just R/M.

The way I understand it, the "minumum wage" only applies to companies contracted by the city government "as a way to increase the quality" of services provided to the city. For example, janitors are included in the minimum wage, but only those servicing city contracts or jobs, the one at Vons is not covered. Thats why only R/M is effected and not AMR. The union raised awareness and lobbies and the city included them in their ordinance.

As for $14-15/hr being a livable wage, it sure is a lot better, but in San Diego, one of the most expensive places to live in the US, its hardly "livable". But the term "livable" is subjective too.

Still, its a win for EMS. Awareness for the cause.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
The city council
The way I understand it, the "minumum wage" only applies to companies contracted by the city government "as a way to increase the quality" of services provided to the city. For example, janitors are included in the minimum wage, but only those servicing city contracts or jobs, the one at Vons is not covered. Thats why only R/M is effected and not AMR. The union raised awareness and lobbies and the city included them in their ordinance.

As for $14-15/hr being a livable wage, it sure is a lot better, but in San Diego, one of the most expensive places to live in the US, its hardly "livable". But the term "livable" is subjective too.

Still, its a win for EMS. Awareness for the cause.

You're correct, sir.
What I want to stress though is there was council members fighting for EMS to be added to the ordinance. That is what got momentum going. I'd be cautious with giving the union all the credit. The track record isn't the best.

Thanks for the reply.

wtferick

Forum Captain
Care just transferred shoreline employees into there company. probably going to be a huge bid war coming soon.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Shoreline go bye bye?

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Hmm...interesting.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
233d90899b90e821d11cb3e758779b03.jpg

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
From what I'm hearing, (note this is all water cooler talk amongst field crews who have their own various sources....I'm just repeating what those rumors are here) LA Co EMS will be changing the actual EOA's, redrawing the map on them, splitting some up so that there will be more total zones, i.e. Malibu and Calabassas (currently part of Zone 4 with Hawthorne, Inglewood, Gardena, etc) will become it's own EOA, and that Paramount (currently in Care's Zone 6) will end up in the Carson zone with the redrawing of the map lines.....and none of the guys here expect to actually lose any of those zones. Instead there's also a rumor that Care doesn't want Huntington Park and Florence and the other cities north of South Gate west of the 710 so they may cut a deal to tack those on our South Gate/Lynwood zone in exchange for something (though even amongst the rumor mill, that's still treated as a lower grade rumor if that makes any sense lol)

Also floating around our crews is talk that next year Compton FD will switch over and use us (McCormick) on all transports (a la Torrance and Redondo Beach) and the way people are talking, they're saying like it's a confirmed done deal, just no actual sources on any of this though.

However on the company website where the station addresses and posting locations are published, they list an address for a station in Paramount, near the Paramount/Compton city lines but nothing official has come down about that so we'll see.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I foresee many departments moving to transport themselves. Torrence bring one.

Nick15

Forum Crew Member
From what I'm hearing, (note this is all water cooler talk amongst field crews who have their own various sources....I'm just repeating what those rumors are here) LA Co EMS will be changing the actual EOA's, redrawing the map on them, splitting some up so that there will be more total zones, i.e. Malibu and Calabassas (currently part of Zone 4 with Hawthorne, Inglewood, Gardena, etc) will become it's own EOA, and that Paramount (currently in Care's Zone 6) will end up in the Carson zone with the redrawing of the map lines.....and none of the guys here expect to actually lose any of those zones. Instead there's also a rumor that Care doesn't want Huntington Park and Florence and the other cities north of South Gate west of the 710 so they may cut a deal to tack those on our South Gate/Lynwood zone in exchange for something (though even amongst the rumor mill, that's still treated as a lower grade rumor if that makes any sense lol)

Also floating around our crews is talk that next year Compton FD will switch over and use us (McCormick) on all transports (a la Torrance and Redondo Beach) and the way people are talking, they're saying like it's a confirmed done deal, just no actual sources on any of this though.

However on the company website where the station addresses and posting locations are published, they list an address for a station in Paramount, near the Paramount/Compton city lines but nothing official has come down about that so we'll see.
This is the first time I've heard anything like that before. The only rumors I've heard are AMR is going to try to outbid Schaefer for their eoa. And if they don't get it they'll just buy them out.

Mya

Forum Crew Member
Any news on proposed bids!!? I don't even know where to look and I've found a few odd links that haven't given me much info. I heard from some PRN employees that they're looking to pick up a little 911 experience but these rumors may just be rumors. I have interviews for them and Liberty so I'm trying to choose the best one with a few 911 calls since I haven't had a job yet, until I go straight 911.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Any news on proposed bids!!? I don't even know where to look and I've found a few odd links that haven't given me much info. I heard from some PRN employees that they're looking to pick up a little 911 experience but these rumors may just be rumors. I have interviews for them and Liberty so I'm trying to choose the best one with a few 911 calls since I haven't had a job yet, until I go straight 911.
PRN? 911? LOL! Not bloody likely. They are just trying to entice people in right now to build up the work force. Bowers left Kaiser because Kaiser was paying $70 or something like that for every bls run and like $120 for every als run. Bowers dedicated all the resources to kaiser and that low bid was set up by the management that ran bowers before being kicked to the curb and making the way to prn. The same thing will happen to PRN. Look outside of LA county. At the end of the day, your just a number. There is no more quality anymore. All these companies want to hire the cheapest labor waiting on a fire job.
It's never going to change here.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Mya

Forum Crew Member
PRN? 911? LOL! Not bloody likely. They are just trying to entice people in right now to build up the work force.

Damn, I knew it!! I was trying to be optimistic lol. CARE and PRN have hiring slots specifically for Bowers employees now too, so they're probably trying to sweeten the deal. I've definitely come to terms with how LA has a horrible EMS system (save maybe 2 companies). Outside LA county looks great, like Hall, but I'm just not willing to commute that far for an EMT position because I'm taking a class Tuesdays and Thursdays AND looking to convert over to ER tech for about a year (good experience for med school) and then my EMT career should be done. I just don't think it's worth it since I'm not in it for the long run.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
. I've definitely come to terms with how LA has a horrible EMS system (save maybe 2 companies).

You were right, up until you said except two companies.

If you need an ambulance in Los Angeles County, just drive yourself. If you're unlucky enough to be incapacitated and unable to refuse, hope that they drive fast enough to get you to medical help.

This is nothing against the actual EMS providers that care and try; I was one of them. However there are plenty of EMS non-providers (read: EMTs/Medics that don't give a crap) working for companies that don't care about service, in a system designed to limit patient care opportunities.

Mya

Forum Crew Member
You were right, up until you said except two companies.

I was thinking McCormick is pretty legit and seem to care about their employees. And maybe CARE, but I see your point.

But then, many of those EMTs/medics that don't care still want to go fire. Maybe to get paid more to not care lol.