whats your motivation?

ollie

Forum Crew Member
whats your motivation to be an emt ? whats getting you by this semester ?

willbeflight

Forum Lieutenant
I want to be the one that helps people in the worst time of their life. It also makes me appreciate the health and life of everyone I know and love. :rolleyes:

atlasD

Forum Probie
running red lights and ya know... helping people, I guess.

Honestly, I've just happened to be witness to many emergencies. What sparked my interest in EMS was this one time I was in a fast food drive through, and the car in front of me wasn't pulling up. After laying on my horn for a few moments, still not budging, I got out of my car and walked up to the driver. He was unresponsive to yelling and pushing his shoulder. Well, besides having someone in another car call 911 - I didn't' have a clue of what to do. Whats getting me through is actually wanting to learn how to be a good care provider.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
I went into the feild wanting to be able to help people. I still want to be able to help people, but now every call is a learning experience to me on my path towards medical school.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
whats your motivation to be an emt ? whats getting you by this semester ?

I like helping people and it is very challenging. I waited a year after EMT to enroll in Paramedic class (you have to it only enrolls in the fall and I took EMT fall of 2008).

I bought a used car and drive 4 hours round trip everyday to school, that is four days a week. Next semester will be only 3 because no A&P II.

That is how motivated I am not do this. An extra car payment and gas is alot, I don't want to get older and wish I would have done this when I had the opportunity. I have had that happen once in my life, although not career related, it taught me a lesson.

OP
OP
O

ollie

Forum Crew Member
i want to thank everyone who replied and thank the ones who will reply, right now i know that ems is what i want to do as a career path but im having trouble staying focus in lectures and the test r killing me i just needed to be reminded why i chosse this career in the first place n now i realized why thanks again :)

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I like helping people and it is very challenging. I waited a year after EMT to enroll in Paramedic class (you have to it only enrolls in the fall and I took EMT fall of 2008).

I bought a used car and drive 4 hours round trip everyday to school, that is four days a week. Next semester will be only 3 because no A&P II.

That is how motivated I am not do this. An extra car payment and gas is alot, I don't want to get older and wish I would have done this when I had the opportunity. I have had that happen once in my life, although not career related, it taught me a lesson.

P.S. I also work a full-time job and I am married. As people have told me in here before, you can do anything and go for it!

JPINFV

Gadfly
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa9mNistHSs[/YOUTUBE]

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow. What the public must think of us when they come across this website. We talk about carrying guns, how to get drivers licenses, and becoming an EMT to drive through red lights. Even jokingly, I highly doubt other professionals post such BS in public places.

JPINFV

Gadfly
To be fair, the 'how to handle concealed carry patients' conversation is a pretty legit conversation considering that we live in a country which allows private ownership of firearms.

OP
OP
O

ollie

Forum Crew Member
if they knew what u guys go through on a day to day basis i think they wouldent mind this forum i say u guys because im still a student hope to be included in here soon as an EMT B yay lets hope i pass

imurphy

Forum Captain
In the 13 years I've been doing this, I've had a few different motivations for being in this.

At the start, yes like many I was drawn to it because it looks cool, it's not a career that many other people could handle.

Like any job, the coolness factor does wear off after many nights home late, back in early and just being tired all the time. Missing holidays with family and being in work instead wears on your too.

On Saturday in 16 hours I had 10 calls. Out of those, 2 actually needed an ambulance and weren't just drunk, EDP etc.

But, after all this time it comes down to this. What other job gives you:
Endless challenge - No call is the same
You never stop learning - Every day you should learn something new
The People - They're all pretty much as maladapted as me
The Money - Ahh the challenge of gettign by on what we're paid!
Making a REAL difference - In the minority of calls, you do actually make a difference, but it's enough to keep me getting up inthe morning.

Deltachange

Forum Crew Member
I wanted to help people. I don't care if it looks cool or not. I don't care what people see outside the ambulance. It is the stuff inside that may or may not make a difference. Plus after witnessing one too many emergencies and not being able to help at all, I wanted to learn to help my fellow human beings.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I originally thought I'd just pick up the cert so that I'd know what to do the next time I was around for something bad, but I wound up liking it more than I thought. It fits me fairly well. I'm a night owl who likes high-pressure jobs. I like helping people, and don't mind gore, nasty smells, extended downtime, or most of the other typical hassles.

To be fair, the 'how to handle concealed carry patients' conversation is a pretty legit conversation considering that we live in a country which allows private ownership of firearms.

Agreed, especially since even some EMS classes in areas where a lot of residents carry never even mention guns.