What would it take to get you to move to another part of the county for a job?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Simple question: what would it take to get you to leave your current job and accept a new position at a new agency? new job is at least 200 miles away, and would require you to relocate (and if you are attached, either taking or leaving your family, you decide)

some potential reasons: more money (give a number), better protocols, better advancement, better retirement, better supervisors, better equipment, better staffing, lower workload, get you off a street corner, more call volume, whatever you want, what would make you move?

We all know that there is no utopia EMS agency, but what characteristics would you look for that would make you get up and move to a new system?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Better money, protocols, be in an area that I would want to work (not a big city), and be close to an area that I would like to live.

The department or company would also have to have special units (SAR, DRT, raceway team, TEMS, etc).

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Enough money to support a wife and a kid. So. CAL it can't be done with out the aid of food stamps and welfare. I didn't get into this business to get rich but not to starve either.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Enough money to support a wife and a kid. So. CAL it can't be done with out the aid of food stamps and welfare. I didn't get into this business to get rich but not to starve either.
It can easily be done as long as you want to include the title Firefighter next your your EMT/Medic title lol

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I am currently looking around to find a place that (in this order):
1: I can support myself, my wife, and two kids.
2: My wife would be willing to live.
3: Good location
4: Good protocols
5: Good equipment

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Good location (don't have now)
Good protocols (mine are almost there)
Good pay (almost there)
Good retirement and benefits.

WilCo seems like a good fit to those. Same with city of Beaumont

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I did this recently. For me it was a opportunity for a federal job which means long term career and good benefits.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
@TransportJockey, did I just read that your protocols are "almost there?" Good sir, if they let you do any more or added more equipment they'd have to give you sherpas and an OR!!
Lol have uou heard of Presidio? I'll take their guidelines and scope. Just in a place like WilCo or Beaumont

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
TJ,
Lol what chaz said. Wth! What more can they do In little presidio? Because you already do central lines, give abx, vein cut downs i.mean really lol

terrible one

Always wandering
I'm in the process of looking to move 3k miles away. My main focus is where I want to live and to a lesser extent where I want to work. I'd rather enjoy the area vs having a good place to work but not liking where I live.
The areas I'm looking at pay almost half of what I make now, so I have to be sure I am financially sound first.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
I'm looking more overseas at the moment, but saw the thread. I'm currently engaged, and although she is an RN, she is in a "niche" field that today she probably wouldn't be able to get into without going back to school...

A living wage where I'd be the "sole breadwinner" for at least 1 year, assistance in covering the cost of moving and locating a suitable place to live (provided, or reasonably priced and meeting her specifications .. pre-1940, cute, 3 points of charm, fireplace, aaaand preferably waterfront of some sort (swamps don't count!), striking distance of a firehouse,...) Aggressive, progressive treatment and management (The job is hard enough, we don't have to make it harder.) I looked at CDP in Anniston, but it wasn't a cost-effective move for me and ALS in the area seemed... yeah, no. Not selling this house at a deficit (bought during the bubble.).