What would get you to quit your current EMS job?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
An education and chase car supervisory position. One where I can do training and education during the day and run to help my crews on serious calls at night. Preferably a county or municipal service

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
An education and chase car supervisory position. One where I can do training and education during the day and run to help my crews on serious calls at night. Preferably a county or municipal service

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

All of the DBs want the same thing. We're the agents of change.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
DB? Like the NFL?

RocketMedic

Adding onto this, promotional opportunities only available on 24 hour shifts is a no-go.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Not much would make me leave earlier than planned short of it becoming an absolutely miserable place to work for. My current place is basically my (temporary) exit plan. I have my window in which I plan on leaving by and until then I am just trying to make enough money to pay off some debt.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I just have no intention of making a 24-hour lifestyle a career.
After looking at the CCEMS job posting, I could totally do a 24/72 lifestyle, it was my dream schedule when I was looking to get hired FT as a firefighter, as well as when I worked EMS in Chapel Hill.

Now that I'm back on monday to friday bankers hours, it's nice to not be tired after work and be able to do stuff with friends and family, but a 24/72 (not 24/48 or 24 on 24 off 24 off 24 on 4 days off) is still my ideal public safety schedule.

RocketMedic

After looking at the CCEMS job posting, I could totally do a 24/72 lifestyle, it was my dream schedule when I was looking to get hired FT as a firefighter, as well as when I worked EMS in Chapel Hill.

Now that I'm back on monday to friday bankers hours, it's nice to not be tired after work and be able to do stuff with friends and family, but a 24/72 (not 24/48 or 24 on 24 off 24 off 24 on 4 days off) is still my ideal public safety schedule.

It wouldn't be bad if the UHU was lower, but we average a UHU of around 0.65 for the core stations. That creates a significant fatigue problem.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Dumb bastids. We just keep banging up against the same old barriers. Year after year.
I am a new paramedic and have no intent of being an average provider. I very much enjoy expanding my clinical knowledge and becoming better at this job everyday.

However, I don't think that is going to get my career moving at any reasonable pace. No matter how good you might be as the three-five year medic, there is always the guy who is as good or better and has been around for fifteen years. Clinical education roles and the like can and should go to that person. EMS is great, but being a line provider for fifteen years is not something I can see myself doing personally.

Unlike many, I actually enjoy the business side of EMS. Like it or not, healthcare is a business in this country. Sometimes getting paid is like getting water from a stone, but it's a great challenge for me as a field provider as my own efforts are felt directly everyday. We have great equipment and above average pay because a group of us work very hard to leave nothing unturned in search of funding. I'm not sure what my career will look like in the future, but I hope that I always get to keep this role.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am a new paramedic and have no intent of being an average provider. I very much enjoy expanding my clinical knowledge and becoming better at this job everyday.

However, I don't think that is going to get my career moving at any reasonable pace. No matter how good you might be as the three-five year medic, there is always the guy who is as good or better and has been around for fifteen years. Clinical education roles and the like can and should go to that person. EMS is great, but being a line provider for fifteen years is not something I can see myself doing personally.

Unlike many, I actually enjoy the business side of EMS. Like it or not, healthcare is a business in this country. Sometimes getting paid is like getting water from a stone, but it's a great challenge for me as a field provider as my own efforts are felt directly everyday. We have great equipment and above average pay because a group of us work very hard to leave nothing unturned in search of funding. I'm not sure what my career will look like in the future, but I hope that I always get to keep this role.

That attitude and experience will serve you well, whichever direction your career ends up taking.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I hope so. Sometimes it feels like it puts me in the "doesn't play well with others category," which is probably a valuable career lesson in itself.
Because it does, and it is. And you know what I have learned over the years? So what.

It's a business as you said, and business is never so personal to those that tend to prosper within their respective field.

Those that don't, can't, or won't understand this are often the same ones who tend to keep their respective fields in a perpetual slumber of non-progressive whining. They also don't typically lead very successful lives, and are just generally miserable.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
In your life you'll discover people who are true agents of change. They usually don't play well with others, are outspoken about deficiencies in systems and processes and usually have the wherewithal to make change happen.

If they can get into a position of power, look out, because everything will change.

With a few exceptions, almost every job I've had in the last 20 plus years has becone a senior level management position. It just happened organically. However, I find EMS frustrating because promotions are handed out based on tenure, not leadership experience. There's a lot of guys that are in their roles simply because they've been there longer.

And that sucks.

A good provider doesn't always mean a good supervisor or operations manager, but that's really the only promotional opportunity open to these guys.

And that also sucks.

RocketMedic

All of the above is true, and highly frustrating, because it's relatively rare for one of us to really obtain that power and be able to exercise it.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
In your life you'll discover people who are true agents of change. They usually don't play well with others, are outspoken about deficiencies in systems and processes and usually have the wherewithal to make change happen.

If they can get into a position of power, look out, because everything will change.

With a few exceptions, almost every job I've had in the last 20 plus years has becone a senior level management position. It just happened organically. However, I find EMS frustrating because promotions are handed out based on tenure, not leadership experience. There's a lot of guys that are in their roles simply because they've been there longer.

And that sucks.
Not only that but many front line supervisors are promoted because they agree with management, are "yesmen," and will do what they are told without questioning anything. Many senior managers won't hire an agency of change, because they will see them as a threat to their power, a headache who will call them on their BS, and who won't tolerate the response of "well, that's the way we have always done it, so we will continue to do it this way." Then when senior management positions open up, they usually require "supervisory experience," and if you haven't been promoted by the old guard, you don't meet the requirements to actually make things better.

Most agents of change who are hired from the outside into senior leadership roles, often come at the request of the overseeing body who want a change to the way things have been, which frequently causes conflict with much of the old guard. These agents of change usually have a relatively short career (I've seen some gone in less than 5 years, few stay more than 10), especially if the organization as a whole doesn't want the change to happen.