What to wear to a written exam for FD Dispatch ???

BruinPride

Forum Ride Along
So I'm testing for a major city FD Dispatch position. So far it will be just a 3 hour written exam. The invitation gave no mention of attire or dress code and I've heard everything from "comfortable" to business casual to "ride along attire" to suit. I'm lost and starting to panic just a little bit lol
I agree that you can never go wrong with a button down and slacks, which I have, but I'm a female and don't want to be the center of attention while I walk across the tile floor in closed toe heels (yes they're conservative and not high at all but they still make that clackety noise going across tile lol)
Help? Please? Anybody?

Thanks guys

crazyjoedivola

Forum Ride Along
DO NOT wear "ride-along" attire. Wear business casual clothing as stated prior that are comfortable.

That's your future employer (hopefully). You don't want to look like a bum.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Shouldn't your goal be the center of attention? Why would you want to hire somebody that is just in the background of other people unless you are hiring for CIA or something. Just make sure it is the good kind of attention and not "Why is she wearing ballet shoes?"

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
"Ride along attire" is for ride alongs.

Business casual for testing out to be fine.

azbrewcrew

Forum Crew Member
Business casual. Also make sure you know that study guide inside and out. Im told 90% of the test comes from there

TF Medic

Forum Crew Member
Dress for the job you want, not the job you have (or are applying for).

I'm not a female but I wear at least a shirt and tie for anything new job related until I am told otherwise. For first impressions (interviews, dropping off an application, etc), I wear a suit.

Whatever your version of suit is, I'd wear that. In my last interview, I found out the hiring manager was a fan of a certain sports team. I just happened to have a tie that matches the team's colors. Guess what I wore? Guess what the first thing he said to me was? Dressing well is rarely wasted effort.

azbrewcrew

Forum Crew Member
Bingo. I wore a suit during the entire process (written, oral boards, not the physical test obviously) a Sheriff's Office I interviewed for...and im on the hire list now. Its better to be overdressed than under dressed for any sort of employment activities.