what to put in a jump kit?

pbdunc

Forum Ride Along
hello all, i am new to the site and was wondering if yall had any advice on what to but in my jump kit. are there any threads currently dedicated to this topic?
i am an EMT-Basic student. sofar i have the following:
4x4s, triangle bandages, butterflies, abdominal and eyepads and assorted others
medical tape, trauma shears, bandage shears, forceps, gloves, antibiotic ointment, hydro-cortisone, hydrogen peroxide, iodine wipes, alc prep wipes, duct tape, penlights, stethoscopes, bp cuff, glasses, eye wash, wound wash, burn gel, ice packs and hot packs, ace bandages, sam splint, c collar, opa kit, CBG kit, cpr masks, n95 respirator, gauze rolls, pens and paper pads, tampons, flashlight, band-aids, chewable aspirin, ibuprofen, convince bags, poncho, and extra o2 tank wrenches. what am i missing?

OP
OP
P

pbdunc

Forum Ride Along
also, my first clinical is tomorrow night so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
a cell phone to call 911 and all you really need.
Why do you need/want this kit? When you are off the clock you are a first aider not an emt. Please don't say to you are doing this to free lance or stop at car wrecks. there are numerous threads here about this topic. Try using the search feature.

If you need a kit one will be provided to you from your employer

For your clinical. Ask questions, find out early what is expected of you, be honest and dont try to do more than you can.

Achilles

Forum Moron
hello all, i am new to the site and was wondering if yall had any advice on what to but in my jump kit. are there any threads currently dedicated to this topic?
medical tape, trauma shears, bandage shears, forceps, gloves, antibiotic ointment, hydro-cortisone, hydrogen peroxide, iodine wipes, alc prep wipes, duct tape, penlights, stethoscopes, bp cuff, glasses, eye wash, wound wash, burn gel, ice packs and hot packs, ace bandages, sam splint, c collar, opa kit, CBG kit, cpr masks, n95 respirator, gauze rolls, pens and paper pads, tampons, flashlight, band-aids, chewable aspirin, ibuprofen, convince bags, poncho, and extra o2 tank wrenches. what am i missing?

Tampons? Please don't say "to use them for a nose bleed."

OP
OP
P

pbdunc

Forum Ride Along
Medic Tim, i appreciate the advice and thank you for your time. i have the kit because in the area i live in it often takes more than an hour for EMS to arrive. i also use the kit when camping in rural Louisiana. achilles, you would be surprised... no but its one of those things id rather have and not need as opposed to need and not have. a similar concept to a condom

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Medic Tim, i appreciate the advice and thank you for your time. i have the kit because in the area i live in it often takes more than an hour for EMS to arrive. i also use the kit when camping in rural Louisiana. achilles, you would be surprised... no but its one of those things id rather have and not need as opposed to need and not have. a similar concept to a condom

I completely understand having a kit under those circumstances for personal/family use.

Every month or so someone comes here asking about jump kits and pov lights and the whole ricky rescue attitude where they want to go out looking for mvc and listen to scanners for calls.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

How many O2 tank wrenches? Also how many stethoscopes? Probably going to want a pedi and an adult and possibly a cheap veterinary for k9s. On the tampons make sure you go with the cardboard applicators as they're better for the environment. Skip the barf bags and just stash a few 5 gallon bags in there they take up less room and you can use them to clean up after codes and such.

OP
OP
P

pbdunc

Forum Ride Along
BigBaldGuy, three O2 wrenches because the plastic ones have a tendency to break at the least opportune times. two stethoscopes with extra parts. the stethoscopes are adult/pedi. the tampons all have cardboard applicators no worries and finally thanks for the 5gal bag tip i've readjusted my bag and put them in. the negro puppy, i guess your best bet would be a vasectomy and empty pockets then haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
BigBaldGuy, three O2 wrenches because the plastic ones have a tendency to break at the least opportune times. two stethoscopes with extra parts. the stethoscopes are adult/pedi. the tampons all have cardboard applicators no worries and finally thanks for the 5gal bag tip i've readjusted my bag and put them in. the negro puppy, i guess your best bet would be a vasectomy and empty pockets then haha

:rofl:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

How about one metal wrench, if you really think you need one considering you don't have a tank (good call)...

socalmedic

Mediocre at best

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
How about one metal wrench, if you really think you need one considering you don't have a tank (good call)...

Given that criteria and assumption, one plastic wrench would be all that is needed.

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
4x4s, triangle bandages, butterflies, abdominal and eyepads and assorted others (Sure. Why not.)
medical tape, trauma shears, bandage shears, forcepsLegitimate question. Why?, gloves YES, antibiotic ointment, hydro-cortisone, hydrogen peroxide, iodine wipes, alc prep wipes, duct tapeEveryone should have duct tape, penlights, stethoscopes, bp cuff You can use this to trend your patient, but it won't really affect your Basic care., glasses, eye wash, wound wash, burn gel, ice packs and hot packs, ace bandages, sam splint, c collar Won't really do ya that much good as a first aider., opa kit, CBG kit, cpr masks, n95 respirator, gauze rolls, pens and paper pads, tampons :), flashlight, band-aids, chewable aspirin, ibuprofen For your personal and family use only right?, convince bags, poncho, and extra o2 tank wrenches Why again?.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
What is a CBG kit also?

Anjel

Forum Angel
The aspirin and Motrin will get you in trouble if it is given to anyone else but family and friends.

To do a Bgl check and assist with meds you have to be under the direction of a doctor. A medical director to be specific. When you are off duty or not employed, you are not an EMT. You are only allowed to act with basic first aid skills.

I think the kit will be great for family. But honestly a lot of that stuff is unnecessary.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My personal kit has a pair of tourniquets, a couple triangle bandages, some gauze, some cling, a package of combat gauze and random OTC meds. FWIW I spend a fair amount of time with friends in remote areas doing things that have the potential to severely injure and/or kill you. Other than those adventures it stays stashed away in the closet.

Oh I have tampons too but they are for a different reason. While snowmobiling. Hold it by the string, dip it in the gas tank and BOOM! Campfire 8)

That's about it. Just some food for thought.

In a year and a half of EMS plus 2 years of alternate EMS (read: professional ski patrol and beach patrol) I've never seen a plastic O2 wrench break.