What to do if an IV comes out during transport?

rmellish

Forum Captain
If the pt has an IV in place and IV's are out of your scope, you should be driving and the paramedic should be attending.

Not so, at least in my state.

If it's in place PTA, and it's an IFT, not a scene response, I see no reason why a EMT-B couldn't handle it. Especially if it's locked off. Same with g-tubes and central lines. as long as they're clamped, why not?

Edit: Dang, looks like Mountain Res-Q beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmellish

Forum Captain
Unless it is a BLS IFT. EMTs in most places are allowed to monitor an IV; which basiclly measn making sure it is running at the rate dictated by the hospital. If the IV is blown dring a BLS transfer, then stop the fluids, and notify someone who can do something about it when you reach your destination. However, it is doubtful that a blown IV is a cause for concern at eh BLS level, because If the IV was needed so desperately during the transport then, yes it should have been ALS. At the BLS level the pateitn should be stable and the IV is just there, and not life and death.

To add to that, I'm not sure I've ever had an IV site "blow" while I've been transporting. Only scenario I could see for that would be when an infusion is pressurized, or perhaps the patient could accidentally dislodge the catheter.

The biggest thing, I'd think, would be keeping positional IV's open, and that usually involves simply asking the patient not to bend their arm quite so much.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
To add to that, I'm not sure I've ever had an IV site "blow" while I've been transporting. Only scenario I could see for that would be when an infusion is pressurized, or perhaps the patient could accidentally dislodge the catheter.

The biggest thing, I'd think, would be keeping positional IV's open, and that usually involves simply asking the patient not to bend their arm quite so much.

Agreed, I just meant that ANY problem with an IV (beyond a bent arm) that an EMT-B (w/o any IV training add-on) has been entrusted with should be treated the same. Shut it off and tell someone that can do somehting about it, becasue YES, EMT's can monitor and IV, whatever that is supposed to empower us to do.

pdibsie

Forum Probie
In all my time as an EMT-B/IV in Colorado, I've never heard it called an EMT-B"+". But now when anybody asks, I'm telling them I'm at the "plus" level of EMT certification!

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. We are EMT-B/IV aka EMT-B IV Certified. But I kinda like the '+'. Makes us sound superior.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. We are EMT-B/IV aka EMT-B IV Certified. But I kinda like the '+'. Makes us sound superior.

I like this idea. If we are gonna be using math to identify ourselves, then from now on I will identifiey myself only as an EMT to the fourth power. B)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Mountain, you could always use EMT^0...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Since we can use the math as a level, can we start applying the negative (-) connotation to some?

JPINFV

Gadfly
You mean like EMT-I/99=EMT-P(-)?

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
^ Hehehe.

CCP = EMT-P(+) ?