What reactionary measures has your state enacted?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Right now Pennsylvania is running a “recertification special”.

If you expired after 12/31/2014, you can log in to the DOH portal and request a reactivated license, no test or skills validation required. No questions asked. You’ll receive a provisional license good until October. At that time you’ll have to meet the con ed requirements.

They have also loosened the minimum staffing requirements. You can (during the crisis) staff an ambulance with 1 EMT or AEMT and a non certified driver. The driver does not have to be EMSVO (emergency vehicle operator) certified. You can staff an ALS unit with one paramedic and an EMR.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
New York State has taken the following actions:

NYS DOH is extending the certifications of approximately 66,000 currently certified EMS providers:

• 1 year has been added to all current certifications: CFR, EMT, AEMT, EMT-CC & EMT-P.
  • There is no need for person to do anything
  • New cards will be mailed but it may take a while.

NYS DOH is reinstating formerly certified providers who certifications recently expired:

• 1 year has been added to all expired certifications levels retroactive to 9/1/19.
  • There is no need for person to do anything.
  • New cards will be mailed but it may take a while.

NYS DOH is offering reinstatement of certification opportunity to some formerly certified providers

• If certification expired 1/1/19 through 8/31/19 person needs to go to the web site at: https://apps.health.ny.gov/pubpal/builder/survey/expired-verification and apply for reinstatement.
  • If there are no issues the person would be re-instated at their last level of certification. Certification would be good through 12/31/20. New cards will be mailed but it may take a while.

• If certification expired 1/1/15 through 12/31/18 person needs to go to the web site at: https://apps.health.ny.gov/pubpal/builder/survey/expired-verification and apply for reinstatement.
  • If there are no issues the person would be re-instated at the EMT level even if their prior level was higher. CFR would be reinstated at the CFR level. Certification would be good through 12/31/20. New cards will be mailed but it may take a while.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Fingerprint background checks have been waived for the next ninety days, a name check only is allowed now to get a provisional cert.

The scope of practice for EMTs and above was changed to allow for nasal and oral swab collection.

Educational programs and trauma center designation reviews have been tabled until at least June. If an entity applies for re-licensure right now they will receive it immediately until a review can happen.

A BLS ambulance in this state has always been able to be 1 EMT and 1 driver with a CPR card. ALS can be one paramedic and 1 CPR driver. So far no paid service has lowered staffing standards and many of the vollie services have just always run on this model.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
We are getting to roll out Phase II of COVID response as soon as the numbers spike...basically we can advocate for Non-Transport with online med control.

I expect Phase III (when it comes out) to be similar to what we were allowed to do after Hurricane Katrina when I responded there...which was pretty much Paramedic discretion for transports. We could deny regardless of what patient wanted.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Not sure what my ( [still confused by] nation? ) state is, or will be implementing. I understand the needs, but my only question is:

Has anyone thought of the consequences or repercussions of unlocking Pandoras Box of no background checks, even if it is a temporary measure?

By the time things are waived, will we still require staffing any more than we already do?

Ok, technically that’s two questions; just curious though.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Just got an email from Florida Dept. of Health:

NEW! Florida Department of Health Resource Pool

'The Florida Department of Health has established a mechanism for health care workers who are un-employed, furloughed or interested in volunteering to provide healthcare to areas impacted by COVID-19 to register in a resource pool that can be called upon when hospitals or long term care facilities need assistance. To register or for more information, please visit the Florida Department of Health Resource Pool, powered by Aya Healthcare, at: https://www.ayahealthcare.com/?page_id=80459&preview=1&_ppp=b11bae28bc.

Temporary Emergency Reactivation of Some Health Care Licenses

The Department will temporarily reactivate unencumbered inactive medical doctors, osteopathic physicians, physician assistants, licensed practical nurses, registered nurses, advanced practice registered nurses, respiratory therapists, emergency medical technicians and paramedics for a period of 90 days. An inactive license reactivated under this provision will return to inactive status when the public health emergency ends or before the end of the public health emergency if the State Surgeon General determines that the health care practitioner is no longer needed to provide services during the public health emergency. Inactive practitioners can log into their online account here to reactivate.'

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Idaho has told EMS agencies to not allow employees return to work for 14 days after they travel out of the state.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Not sure what my ( [still confused by] nation? ) state is, or will be implementing. I understand the needs, but my only question is:

Has anyone thought of the consequences or repercussions of unlocking Pandoras Box of no background checks, even if it is a temporary measure?

By the time things are waived, will we still require staffing any more than we already do?

Ok, technically that’s two questions; just curious though.
Are fingerprint background checks common? Colorado is the only state I am familiar with that requires them (and FBI fingerprint for out of state applicants or anyone that lived out of state in the last seven years), but I can't say I have any idea if they are commonplace or not elsewhere. There is still the "normal" background check.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We do not have state guidelines in Colorado. There is an "Acts Allowed" statute that sets a framework for what guidelines can look like but each service/region has their own guidelines. Our regional COVID19 guidelines include a refusal of transport for certain suspected COVID19 patients, I've attached. We cannot refuse transport for non-COVID19 related complaints however. This is done on standing orders however there is an option to video conference with an EMS physician via Pulsara.

Also I attached the regional cardiac arrest guideline update, it's something alright.
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_4481.JPG

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Are fingerprint background checks common? Colorado is the only state I am familiar with that requires them (and FBI fingerprint for out of state applicants or anyone that lived out of state in the last seven years), but I can't say I have any idea if they are commonplace or not elsewhere. There is still the "normal" background check.
Idaho requires them.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
We do not have state guidelines in Colorado. There is an "Acts Allowed" statute that sets a framework for what guidelines can look like but each service/region has their own guidelines. Our regional COVID19 guidelines include a refusal of transport for certain suspected COVID19 patients, I've attached. We cannot refuse transport for non-COVID19 related complaints however. This is done on standing orders however there is an option to video conference with an EMS physician via Pulsara.

Also I attached the regional cardiac arrest guideline update, it's something alright. View attachment 4894View attachment 4895

To clarify, you protocol allows you to stop resusitation on a child with PEA and does not require advanced airway management in pediatric arrest?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
There is still the "normal" background check.
Ah, got it. TBCH, I’m terrible at keeping up with some of these things, especially if it’s not pertinent to my own licensure.

I just envisioned some rogue paramedic slipping through the cracks, defibrillating patients heads a la Broken Vessels.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
required by every agency I have worked for in NC. I think NJ recently made them mandatory (within the past 10 years).

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
BLS ambulance requirements dropped form 2 EMTs to 1 EMT and 1 FR
Pursuant to this rule waiver and modification, individuals whose EMT certification expired within the past five years (April 1, 2015 to April 1, 2020) are eligible for “COVID19 EMT re-entry” so long as: (1) the applicant is not currently under investigation by any State EMT licensing authority; (2) the applicant does not have a proposed or final enforcement action pending or entered against him or her by any State EMT licensing authority; (3) the applicant is not excluded from acting as an EMT pursuant to a settlement reached with any State EMT licensing authority; (4) the applicant has not been cited for impersonating an EMT and/or Paramedic; (5) the applicant does not have a criminal history or pending criminal charges referenced in N.J.A.C. 8:40A-10.2; and (6) the applicant successfully completed all continuing education audits conducted by the Department while certified as an EMT. If an applicant does not fall into one of these disqualification categories, the applicant may proceed with the “COVID-19 EMT reentry” process, which requires the applicant to: 1. Complete a re-entry application at www.njems.us; 2. Possess a valid CPR certification; and 3. Obtain verification and certification of clinical competency of the national EMS education standards and scope of practice for EMTs from the medical director of a basic life support agency. Upon successful completion of these requirements, the Department will issue the applicant a 6-month provisional EMT certification. To obtain full certification as an EMT, the applicant must successfully complete a New Jersey approved refresher program and achieve a passing score on the National Registry EMT-Basic Certification Examination, as set forth in N.J.A.C. 8:40A-7.6, by the end of the provisional period. If the applicant fails to successfully complete these requirements by the end of the provisional period, then the applicant’s provisional certification will expire, and the individual will no longer be permitted to practice as an EMT. Individuals issued provisional certifications under this waiver shall only provide services as an EMT for a licensed basic life support provider and shall not serve as a crew member for a 1 paramedic/ 1 EMT crew configuration authorized under the COVID-19 Mobile Intensive Care Unit Crewmember waiver issued by the Department on March 13, 2020; as a crew member for a 1 EMT/ 1 first responder crew configuration authorized under the COVID19 Basic Life Support Crewmember waiver issued by the Department on March 13, 2020; or as a crew member for a 1 Registered Nurse/ 1 EMT crew configuration authorized under the COVID-19 Specialty Care Transportation Unit Crewmember waiver issued by the Department on March 13, 2020. Additionally, for two EMT crew configurations for basic life support ambulances, only one of the crew members shall possess a 6-month provisional certification issued under this waiver/modification. For formerly certified EMTs whose certification expired prior to April 1, 2015, the provisions set forth in N.J.A.C. 8:40A-7.6 remain in effect.

ALS requirements dropped from 2 PM to 1 PM and and EMT
Under current N.J.A.C. 8:41A-4.4, an individual formerly certified as an EMTParamedic who has allowed his or her certification to expire must complete 200 hours of clinical training and achieve a passing score on the National Registry EMT-Paramedic examination, among other requirements, in order to be recertified as a paramedic. To prepare for an increasing number of individuals suspected of having or diagnosed with COVID-19 in New Jersey who may require advanced life support due to a deterioration of their condition outside of an acute care hospital, it is necessary and appropriate to relax the requirements for formerly certified paramedics to regain certification to ensure that the State has a sufficient number of qualified paramedics to render emergency advanced life support care in the State. Pursuant to this rule waiver and modification, individuals whose EMT-Paramedic certification expired within the past five years (April 1, 2015 to April 1, 2020) will be eligible for “COVID-19 EMT-Paramedic re-entry” so long as: (1) the applicant is not currently under investigation by any State EMT-Paramedic licensing authority; (2) the applicant does not have a proposed or final enforcement action pending or entered against him or her by any State EMT-Paramedic licensing authority; (3) the applicant is not excluded from acting as an EMT-Paramedic pursuant to a settlement reached with any State EMT-Paramedic licensing authority; (4) the applicant has not been cited for impersonating an EMT and/or EMT-Paramedic; (5) the applicant does not have a criminal history or pending criminal charges referenced in N.J.A.C. 8:41A-5.2; and (6) the applicant successfully completed all continuing education audits conducted by Department’s Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS) while certified as an EMTParamedic. If an applicant does not fall into one of these disqualification categories, the applicant may proceed with the “COVID-19 EMT-Paramedic re-entry” process, which requires the applicant to: 1. Complete a re-entry application at www.njems.us; 2. Obtain sponsorship through a mobile intensive care hospital; 3. Possess a valid EMT, CPR, ACLS, PHTLS or ITLS, and a PALS, PEPPAdvanced or Advanced-EPC certification; and 4. Obtain verification of endorsement and competency from the sponsoring agency’s medical director. Upon successful completion and submission of the above requirements to the Department, the Department will issue the applicant a 6-month provisional EMTParamedic certification. To maintain full certification as an EMT-Paramedic at the end of the 6-month provisional period, the applicant must successfully complete all of the requirements that are currently set forth in N.J.A.C. 8:41A-4.4. If the applicant fails to successfully complete these requirements by the end of the provisional period, then the applicant’s provisional certification will expire, and the individual will no longer be permitted to practice as an EMT-Paramedic.
and any EMT or paramedic who expired in the past 5 years can be recertified by jumping through a few hoops.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Nj reduced staffing requirements for units

Also introduced a triage to home waiver where we can refuse to transport certain people

extended certifications that were supposed to expire in June

allowed expired certifications to be renewed