What made you do it?

OP
OP
BinaryBryan

BinaryBryan

Forum Probie
I suppose to answer your question, “why did I do it”? I would have to say that I did it because, like a lot of people here, I naturally somewhat empathetic person and I happen to get personal enjoyment out of helping others. The fact that I paid for is an immense bonus!........

Thanks for the insight! I have always been empathetic to help people, I get enjoyment out of knowing I did something, even in the smallest for someone.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I wanted to be a firefighter for a long time then I fractured my neck playing football and got a nasty concussion and wound up on the back of an ambulance then in the trauma bay. I don't remember a lot of it but after that I took an interest in EMS, did an internship in HS at our local EMS agency then got my EMT, EMT-I then Paramedic and am still here working as a Paramedic and a Field Training Officer.

I love my job and while I may move on in my medical career eventually I'm content right now. Not many jobs allow you to go to work, check out half a million dollars worth of equipment then go out into the world with your partner, who you usually developer a very close friendship with, and basically go about your day unsupervised, provided you aren't an idiot.

Despite what people say you CAN make a survivable wage as a Paramedic, you just have to be willing to relocate and put in the time and effort to do it.

If I was in a different job with dependents I think I'd test the waters by volunteering or working PRN and continue on my previous career but that's just me.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Thanks for the insight! I have always been empathetic to help people, I get enjoyment out of knowing I did something, even in the smallest for someone.
All that being said, if I had a very well paying job that covered all the bills, provided for the family, and so on, I'd think very long and hard about changing careers. EMS/Healthcare is not exactly a high-paying career for most. I'm fortunate in that I live in California, where the RN gets paid very well. The downside of going into Healthcare is that there typically more applicants than there are jobs so it may take a long time to find a position. It took me 8 months to land my first RN job at a hospital that's about 2 hours away from home. In another 6-8 months, I should have enough experience to be able to find a new job closer to home. EMS is not much different. I can almost guarantee that you'll make far less as an EMT than you do at your current job at a cable company...

Despite what people say you CAN make a survivable wage as a Paramedic, you just have to be willing to relocate and put in the time and effort to do it.

If I was in a different job with dependents I think I'd test the waters by volunteering or working PRN and continue on my previous career but that's just me.

Pretty much what he said. I really love the work, but I also have to be willing to go where I need to go to pay the bills.

OP
OP
BinaryBryan

BinaryBryan

Forum Probie
............Despite what people say you CAN make a survivable wage as a Paramedic, you just have to be willing to relocate and put in the time and effort to do it.

All that being said, if I had a very well paying job that covered all the bills, provided for the family, and so on, I'd think very long and hard about changing careers. EMS/Healthcare is not exactly a high-paying career for most. I'm fortunate in that I live in California, where the RN gets paid very well. The downside of going into Healthcare is that there typically more applicants than there are jobs so it may take a long time to find a position. It took me 8 months to land my first RN job at a hospital that's about 2 hours away from home. In another 6-8 months, I should have enough experience to be able to find a new job closer to home. EMS is not much different. I can almost guarantee that you'll make far less as an EMT than you do at your current job at a cable company...

Pretty much what he said. I really love the work, but I also have to be willing to go where I need to go to pay the bills.

That is kind of why I am thinking of switching now. I make enough now at my job to be settled and ok in life. I have enough to pay bills with a little extra for hobbies. But I am also at my least responsible point in life. No family, no kids, and completely just me. Relocating sounds like a bonus to me, seeing new places and new areas is something i'd enjoy and hardwork is in my blood. I clawed my way up to where I am from the bottom at Charter.

I know the pay will probably be a drop from the money I make now, but if I live a life just to make money, doesn't seem much of a life to be living.

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
That is kind of why I am thinking of switching now. I make enough now at my job to be settled and ok in life. I have enough to pay bills with a little extra for hobbies. But I am also at my least responsible point in life. No family, no kids, and completely just me. Relocating sounds like a bonus to me, seeing new places and new areas is something i'd enjoy and hardwork is in my blood. I clawed my way up to where I am from the bottom at Charter.

I know the pay will probably be a drop from the money I make now, but if I live a life just to make money, doesn't seem much of a life to be living.
At my current job I currently make about 50k/year. But I wake up every morning depressed, hating life. Because my job sucks. And im a slave to it. I have no other job skills beside law enforcement.

So im living proof that money isnt the key to happyness.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
I grew up with my dad who is a paramedic and has been for around 26 years now, so it was kind of easy to take interest and see/hear from my father about the career. I joined a little volunteer FD when we moved to a smaller town at age 15 and that's when I realized I wanted to do EMS.

As of now I got my EMT and then my AEMT and plan on being in paramedic school soon! To answer your question if its something you want to do then try it out, like Robb said if you can volunteer try that to see if it's something you may like or take a pre diem job in EMS and keep your other job just in case you don't like EMS.

What I really enjoy about EMS is we are the first ones to take care of some one in a emergency so our patient care is very important and our settings are different then most other medical professions, I like that we can be in a house one moment taking care of a chest pain patient, to being on a busy freeway taking care of car crash victims. but anyways I rambled on, Best of luck in your decisions.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Knowing what you do now, after the experience you have, if you you could go back in time to the beginning, would you do it all again? Do you regret it?

There are a LOT of moments and periods of time I regret because of EMS. However, those experiences drove me to where I am today...so no, I would not change a thing as I am quite content in life. The moments I regret are more so the moments I missed for key people in my life during THEIR special events or times of need. I missed a lot of "firsts" with my kids, a lot of their accomplishments, sports, productions, you name it. I missed a lot of things I wanted to do personally as well....and for a few years I kind of stagnated in EMS. By that, I mean I was happy, I was paid well...but I was going nowhere.

Your question while good, is completely subjective to the responder and while giving you insight to possible outcomes for yourself, it truly means nothing as your personality and situation is unique as is everyone.

So again...yes there is much "to change" but if I did, I would not be who I am today. Better to look forward than behind I say, as whats done is done.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
. Very rarely do I have to use any of the advanced skills that I have gained, either as a paramedic or as an RN.
Speak for yourself! :rolleyes:
intubated-5-people.png

OP
OP
BinaryBryan

BinaryBryan

Forum Probie
At my current job I currently make about 50k/year. But I wake up every morning depressed, hating life. Because my job sucks. And im a slave to it. I have no other job skills beside law enforcement.
So im living proof that money isnt the key to happyness.

This is a major problem I have now. I don't make quite 50k but at 22 years old I average about 41k with no college and plenty of more room to grow. But, my job makes me feel lake I am wasting time, and wasting my life. Granted I know I can find happiness outside of work, and I do. But work makes me happy, meaningful work I mean.

Knowing what you do now, after the experience you have, if you you could go back in time to the beginning, would you do it all again? Do you regret it?

There are a LOT of moments and periods of time I regret because of EMS. However, those experiences drove me to where I am today...so no, I would not change a thing as I am quite content in life. The moments I regret are more so the moments I missed for key people in my life during THEIR special events or times of need. I missed a lot of "firsts" with my kids, a lot of their accomplishments, sports, productions, you name it. I missed a lot of things I wanted to do personally as well....and for a few years I kind of stagnated in EMS. By that, I mean I was happy, I was paid well...but I was going nowhere.

Your question while good, is completely subjective to the responder and while giving you insight to possible outcomes for yourself, it truly means nothing as your personality and situation is unique as is everyone.

So again...yes there is much "to change" but if I did, I would not be who I am today. Better to look forward than behind I say, as whats done is done.

I know the question was subjective, thats exactly why I asked it. The more points of view I can read the better. I can see the ends of the spectrum. The truly gungho about the job and the ones who regret it and all between.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The normal transitions of life...I do not have time to wax and wane about the cycles of life....

However I went from a gung ho hero do anything and everything 18 year old EMT, 19 year old Paramedic to becoming a Dad just shy of my 22nd birthday with two more kids to follow over the next 4 years. I lived and breathed EMS, my identity was wrapped up in EMS. Took a while to unwrap that multi layer burrito and figure out who I was and what I wanted and could do. Props to you for giving all this so much thought.

Everyone has their story...and the age of entry, married versus single, kids or not, volley prior or straight to paid, and then what type of service you work for...all are huge influences on how we perceive the tough question you proposed.

I so need to take the example set by a few outstanding people I know and write a damn book already. LOL

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I left a successful career of 20+ years to become a paramedic. I'd been working/volunteering in EMS since the late 80s, but went full monte in 2008. After a half a dozen years in EMS, I went back to broadcast management full time. I love EMS. I love talking to people, I love helping sick people and I truly enjoy the few educated, driven folks I've had the pleasure to meet. However, the overall lack of professionalism and baseline mediocrity prevalent in just about every EMS agency I've seen (or worked) is a career killer. For an educated, motivated type A, working for mouth breathers with a high school education and list of qualifications that starts with "i've been here longest" will make for a rather unsatisfactory career.

The people on this forum are different than 90% of the people on the job. They actually have interest in learning, discussing and pushing the boundaries of EMS. Sadly, most people in the field do not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BinaryBryan

BinaryBryan

Forum Probie
I left a successful career of 20+ years to become a paramedic. I'd been working/volunteering in EMS since the late 80s, but went full monte in 2008. After a half a dozen years in EMS, I went back to broadcast management full time. I love EMS. I love talking to people, I love helping sick people and I truly enjoy the few educated, driven folks I've had the pleasure to meet. However, the overall lack of professionalism and baseline mediocrity prevalent in just about everyplace I've been is a career killer. For an educated, motivated type A, working for mouth breathers with a high school education and list of qualifications that starts with "i've been here longest" Will make for a rather unsatisfactory career.

The people on this forum are different than 90% of the people on the job. They're actually interest in learning, discussing and pushing the boundaries of EMS. Sadly, most people in the field aren't.

That is something I wanted to hear. So many people in my job now are like that(were engineering and most have no engineering background at all).
Thank for you that point of view. I am sure I would get frustrated with those same things, as I already do here.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Well, take it for what it's worth.

I work a part time medic job now. I schedule my availability when I want, have zero interest or involvement in any of the department politics and still get to do why I love... Run 911 calls. Plus, they pay for my CE.

I'd be hard pressed to go back to it full time. Obviously, if I lost my job and needed to feed my family. I really enjoy being a medic, but the bloom is certainly off the rose.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
What made me do it?

I saw this picture on the internet, and realized that these are my people, and I need this in my life:

QvrldEC_zps2cp3gbqf.jpg

I did quit a good paying job to join EMS. But I realized that life is too short to spend it behind a desk, commuting, punching a time card while a millionaire micromanaged my every move and put his company's name on my patents. I felt like the unnamed insomniac narrator of Fight Club before he met Tyler Durden..

Go to work in my stupid little Elantra with my lunchbox of chicken and spinach, dealing with my boss - a CEO with halitosis and intermittent explosive disorder... Being paid salary so I had to be at work seven days a week 15 hour days.. All the little things that got stuck in my craw one after another after another, and I realized I was doing nothing with my life. I hadn't really "accomplished" anything. Nothing I did mattered, all I had was a framed degree and business cards.

I do feel like I do something meaningful now. Last week I went back to a rollover scene. The patient's glasses had flown off her face and out her truck window the previous night. She was in the hospital, her truck was wrecked, her week was wrecked, her hair was wrecked, and the idea of her being in the hospital with a concussion and not being able to see a thing just didn't sit with me. I did find them, unbroken, and brought them in to the charge nurse.. It's not all glamorous like delivering babies and pulling old people from burning buildings. But the day before yesterday, I found a dude's missing ear.

Meaningful is relative. Meaningful is what you make it.. Is it holding an umbrella over a patient while you get drenched? Maybe it's grabbing an emesis bag so a patient doesn't throw up on themselves.. Maybe meaningful means giving the diabetic old lady the orange you stashed for later because she needs it more than you do. And the dude with the missing ear? I bummed him my very last Marlboro before we left, and he was so grateful. I think that's meaningful.

OP
OP
BinaryBryan

BinaryBryan

Forum Probie
But I realized that life is too short to spend it behind a desk, commuting, punching a time card while a millionaire micromanaged my every move and put his company's name on my patents. I felt like the unnamed insomniac narrator of Fight Club before he met Tyler Durden..

Go to work in my stupid little Elantra with my lunchbox of chicken and spinach, dealing with my boss - a CEO with halitosis and intermittent explosive disorder... Being paid salary so I had to be at work seven days a week 15 hour days.. All the little things that got stuck in my craw one after another after another, and I realized I was doing nothing with my life. I hadn't really "accomplished" anything. Nothing I did mattered, all I had was a framed degree and business cards.

I do feel like I do something meaningful now. Last week I went back to a rollover scene. The patient's glasses had flown off her face and out her truck window the previous night. She was in the hospital, her truck was wrecked, her week was wrecked, her hair was wrecked, and the idea of her being in the hospital with a concussion and not being able to see a thing just didn't sit with me. I did find them, unbroken, and brought them in to the charge nurse.. It's not all glamorous like delivering babies and pulling old people from burning buildings. But the day before yesterday, I found a dude's missing ear.

Meaningful is relative. Meaningful is what you make it.. Is it holding an umbrella over a patient while you get drenched? Maybe it's grabbing an emesis bag so a patient doesn't throw up on themselves.. Maybe meaningful means giving the diabetic old lady the orange you stashed for later because she needs it more than you do. And the dude with the missing ear? I bummed him my very last Marlboro before we left, and he was so grateful. I think that's meaningful.

This was awesome. I love the fight club reference of course and I understand that feeling exactly. Meanigful is relative, but my current cubicle and dual monitors to watch and make sure people can search the internet all night for no reason is not meaningful to me.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I will throw in a budding EMT-P student perspective in the mix. I had no intentions of getting into EMS, even just a year and a half ago. I have known 2 things about what I wanted to do with my life since about 9 old or so. I wanted to get into the medical field and I wanted to enlist, so fast forward to last year. I was hating being a Bio major and struggling pretty hard at it just to make passing grades. I knew I was strong in A&P type science, but the other stuff bored me and just took me a lot longer to grasp than the classes allowed. My school just happens to have a Fire/Paramedic program as a major and my fiancée at the time told me to give it a shot since it was related to what my interests were.

I do not have any intentions of staying in EMS as a career though. For a college student, the pay is nice. I will make more than most of my friends, which means I can live the college life comfortable and save money. But EMS now is mostly a path for me lay a foundation for what I want to do in the military, which is my main goal at the moment. For now, I enjoy the work and I love getting to help people even in the little ways and to do something that gets me out of a kitchen, but I know I will want to pursue higher levels of education down the road (unless something changes, I love it and don't want to leave). So I think the easiest way to look at it, is EMS got me out of one rut and is laying the foundation for me to advance myself down the road. Even though it is more of a foundation for me, I love what I get to do. I have met some awesome people and I enjoy the learning opportunities I have and will have.

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
I will throw in a budding EMT-P student perspective in the mix. I had no intentions of getting into EMS, even just a year and a half ago. I have known 2 things about what I wanted to do with my life since about 9 old or so. I wanted to get into the medical field and I wanted to enlist, so fast forward to last year. I was hating being a Bio major and struggling pretty hard at it just to make passing grades. I knew I was strong in A&P type science, but the other stuff bored me and just took me a lot longer to grasp than the classes allowed. My school just happens to have a Fire/Paramedic program as a major and my fiancée at the time told me to give it a shot since it was related to what my interests were.

I do not have any intentions of staying in EMS as a career though. For a college student, the pay is nice. I will make more than most of my friends, which means I can live the college life comfortable and save money. But EMS now is mostly a path for me lay a foundation for what I want to do in the military, which is my main goal at the moment. For now, I enjoy the work and I love getting to help people even in the little ways and to do something that gets me out of a kitchen, but I know I will want to pursue higher levels of education down the road (unless something changes, I love it and don't want to leave). So I think the easiest way to look at it, is EMS got me out of one rut and is laying the foundation for me to advance myself down the road. Even though it is more of a foundation for me, I love what I get to do. I have met some awesome people and I enjoy the learning opportunities I have and will have.
What are you trying to do in the military?