What do you do on your free time?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

pick, shovel, gold pan and screens, sluice box and high frequency metal detector for finding gold nuggets. Oh yeah and i get there in my other hobby, my jeep wrangler with my australian shepard riding shotgun

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Think up new ways to be the forum witch.

Hahaha. Just kidding. Read, waste time on here, yoga, run, go to the beach and play Resident Evil and TS3.

OP
OP
minneola24

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant

Hahaha. Just kidding. Read, waste time on here, yoga, run, go to the beach and play Resident Evil and TS3.

Hah, forum witch. I would stand by that for some of your posts here ;)

I like how you mention all these fun things then when you mention this forum you say waste time on here. Your so nice ^_^

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

I rarely come home empty handed, but not enough to make a living doing it. For me it's more about getting outside and enjoying nature. I live in Trinity County which was one of the major gold rush areas, that and platnium. As a matter of fact it's one of the few known places where platnium nuggets are found, mostly with metal detectors.

Found a chinese coin a couple months ago that dates back to he 1700's still trying to get a narrower date range on it. And within 20ft of it found an ancient Levi Strauss button fro an oldpair of Levi's

OP
OP
minneola24

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
I rarely come home empty handed, but not enough to make a living doing it. For me it's more about getting outside and enjoying nature. I live in Trinity County which was one of the major gold rush areas, that and platnium. As a matter of fact it's one of the few known places where platnium nuggets are found, mostly with metal detectors.

Found a chinese coin a couple months ago that dates back to he 1700's still trying to get a narrower date range on it. And within 20ft of it found an ancient Levi Strauss button fro an oldpair of Levi's

Northern California is beautiful, and wow! You found some really nice objects there, what do you plan on doing with the coin and the button?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

After i get the cleaned up I'll be giving them to the Trinity County museum so everyone can enjoy them.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
What are some things you guys do when your not working?

Visit EMTLIFE… duh… :rolleyes:

pick, shovel, gold pan and screens, sluice box and high frequency metal detector for finding gold nuggets.

My dad is trying the whole panning thing out right now… kinda…

Oh yeah and i get there in my other hobby, my jeep wrangler with my australian shepard riding shotgun.

Substitute the ausie for a bloodhound and that is me. 1992 black wrangler… decked out… geared out… and in perfect shape now that it is repaired post-collision (new springs and shocks) and just washed… SAR scanner, CB, vhf radio, CD changer, surround sound w/ overhead and giant rear pods, $1000 worth of lockboxes for the SAR gear, 2.5 inch lift kit, extra driving lights, extra fog/snow lights, extra amber hazards (for winter and SAR), giant bumper/roll bars, large m/s tires, a lot of control switches inside for the extra lighting, and oh sooo many little extras inside that make it oh sooo sweet to drive through the mountains… especailly with her top off... ;)

Hahaha. Just kidding.

Uh… sure… ^_^

What are some things you guys do when your not working?

Really? SAR tends to be at the center of the majority of what I do; everything from organizing training, writing the training manual, training the pup, training in every other discipline…

When not doing that… my Jeep, backpacking/hiking, computer graphics and formatting, reading sci-fi, and a little Wii… B)

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain

Thats awesome I am a short leap from you, I am in Shasta County haha!!

I paintball, snowboard, archery, study, and most important spend time with my kids!

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Very cool VFF, good chance I may have met you on a scene. I did my paramedic internship at Mercy, loved the call volume down there. Up here in Trinity county the call volume is qite a bit lower, but i rather enjoy our longer transport times as it gives me a chance to get to know my patients

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Ya I probably have lol, I am working on applying for the life support unit up there, have a buddy that just got hired on. I like it up there like you said for the longer transport time.

OP
OP
minneola24

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
Visit EMTLIFE… duh… :rolleyes:

My dad is trying the whole panning thing out right now… kinda…

Substitute the ausie for a bloodhound and that is me. 1992 black wrangler… decked out… geared out… and in perfect shape now that it is repaired post-collision (new springs and shocks) and just washed… SAR scanner, CB, vhf radio, CD changer, surround sound w/ overhead and giant rear pods, $1000 worth of lockboxes for the SAR gear, 2.5 inch lift kit, extra driving lights, extra fog/snow lights, extra amber hazards (for winter and SAR), giant bumper/roll bars, large m/s tires, a lot of control switches inside for the extra lighting, and oh sooo many little extras inside that make it oh sooo sweet to drive through the mountains… especailly with her top off... ;)

Uh… sure… ^_^

Really? SAR tends to be at the center of the majority of what I do; everything from organizing training, writing the training manual, training the pup, training in every other discipline…

When not doing that… my Jeep, backpacking/hiking, computer graphics and formatting, reading sci-fi, and a little Wii… B)

You have everything I could only dream of :)

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

I just did the orientation for 4 new hired EMT's, your friend have the initials RP by chance?

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Copy that! ya he was telling me about it in emt class. (we help with skill instructing).

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Trade the jeep out for an F-250 crew cab..then we are talking.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Trade the jeep out for an F-250 crew cab..then we are talking.

STORY TIME:

Two winters ago, I was driving home from my winter gig. 2 day snow storm. Plows could not keep up, so all non-highway roads were being left alone. I was driving through the highest accessable winter town (~5300 feet) towards home, when my pager activates. Two missing hikers in the very town I was driving through. Rather than drive 1.5 hours to meet the team and then drive another 1.5 hours back to the scene, I hung a right toward the PLS (the cabin they were renting). The road I was driving on had (no lie) 18-20 inches of fresh powder on the road. Okay... no problem. My baby crewed right through it. Half way down the road, I get cancelled... oh well... the road eventually makes it's way back out to the highway (after about 6 miles).

A few seconds latter, I run across a Ford F-250 turned sideways in the road, almost completely blocking the road. Two guys are trying like hell to dig themselves out. I stop and they say that they have been there for 3 hours after sliding in the snow and turning sideways into (what was then 10-12 inches) the snow. "Could I pull them out?" "Sure... we can try." Tow strap hooked up... and without so much as a slip of strain... pulled them right out... "Could I maybe pull them the rest of the way to the highway (3 more miles) since they didn't theink they could make it without sliding out?" "Sure"... Once again... no slipping or sliding at 15-20 mph, pulled them all the way through the 18-20 inches of snow! Got to the hwy and cut them loose. "Thank you... thank you... I can't believe it.. this "little jeep" pulled us out... it is a little billy goat."

I get that reaction A LOT. Not a day goes by when some hugh Ford F-___, Suburban, or Hummer isn't crashed in the snow. I have never had an issue in the snow in my jeep... or any other weather/terrain condition. Everyone tells me how ill-suited a jeep is for the snow, but I think everyone forgets what jeeps were built for. The military for a World War... so they have my vote of confidence... I wouldn't trade in a jeep for anything else in the world!!! Which is why when the other party's insuracne tried to put sub-standard parts on her because she is 17 years old (but worth more than most 7 year old cars), I threw a Sh*t-fit!

JEEPS ROCK...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
minneola24

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
STORY TIME:

Two winters ago, I was driving home from my winter gig. 2 day snow storm. Plows could not keep up, so all non-highway roads were being left alone. I was driving through the highest accessable winter town (~5300 feet) towards home, when my pager activates. Two missing hikers in the very town I was driving through. Rather than drive 1.5 hours to meet the team and then drive another 1.5 hours back to the scene, I hung a right toward the PLS (the cabin they were renting). The road I was driving on had (no lie) 18-20 inches of fresh powder on the road. Okay... no problem. My baby crewed right through it. Half way down the road, I get cancelled.. oh well... the road eventually makes it's way back out to the highway (after about 6 miles).

A few seconds latter, I run across a Ford F-250 turned sideways in the road, almost completely blocking the road. Two guys are trying like hell to dig themselves out. I stop and they say that they have been there for 3 hours after turning sliding in the snow and turning sideways into (what was then 10-12 inches) the snow. "Could I pull them out?" "Sure... we can try." Tow strap hooked up... and without so much as a slip of strain... pulled them right out... "Could I maybe pull them the rest of the way to the highway (3 more miles) since they didn't theink they could make it without sliding out?" "Sure"... Once again... no slipping or sliding at 15-20 mph, pulled them all the way through the 18-20 inches of snow! Got to the hwy and cut them loose. "Thank you... thank you... I can't believe it.. this "little jeep" pulled us out... it is a little billy goat."

I get that reaction A LOT. Not a day goes by when some hugh Ford F-___, Suburban, or Hummer isn't crashed in the snow. I have never had an issue in the snow in my jeep... or any other weather/terrain condition. Everyone tells me how ill-suited a jeep is for the snow, but I think everyone forgets what jeeps were built for. The military for a World War... so they have my vote of confidence... I wouldn't trade in a jeep for anything else in the world!!! Which is why when the other party's insuracne tried to put sub-standard parts on her because she is 17 years old (but worth more than most 7 year old cars), I through a Sh*t-fit!

JEEPS ROCK...

Yeah Jeeps seem pretty cool. They don't look safe however ( the ones that are open top with only the bars). Seems like a motorcycle but with a seat belt.