What do you do on your free time?

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
I have see the power of jeeps and will never doubt it. (I go mudding, a few buddies roll with them and old ramchargers lol).

I am a truck guy and if your not a rookie can match jeeps to a certain lvl..I would like to own a jeep as well, just get so many mixed reactions on what year is "the best" so I just stick to what I know lol.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah Jeeps seem pretty cool. They don't look safe however ( the ones that are open top with only the bars). Seems like a motorcycle but with a seat belt.

What do you think the bars are for. The limited damage to my vehicle when that 18 y/o ran the stop sign was only due to the same bars I have in the form of the front bumber/roll bar. Like all vehicles, you need to know there limitations and drive within them. There are things on a highway that I wouldn't do in a Jeep, that I would in a Taurus or some other city car. Roll overs do happen in jeeps... only because people donlt understand how to drive them... but if they do happen... the rope bars are their to protect you... better than a convertable "cool" car would.

In winter... hard top, which is just a fiberglass shell with role bars underneath. In summer... bikini top, a vinyl cover for the main cab... the rest is still just the roll bars... 100% safe in my book... and oh sooo fun... B) My primary vehicle when I need to respond dirrectly to SAR calls...

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
SO what is the best year(s) jeep? and ya I am working on getting into SAR and what not for my local county..see what happens.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
just get so many mixed reactions on what year is "the best" so I just stick to what I know lol.

IMHO... the only thing to be concerned with is upgrades... no two jeeps on the road are alike. There are so many modifications you can make (catalogs worth of gear for every like and need), that my Jeep is perfectly adapted to me.

Yes, as the years roll buy, the styles and mechanics change... but they all perform the safe (provided the engines are the safe - stay away from straight 4 always!!!)

OP
OP
minneola24

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
What do you think the bars are for. The limited damage to my vehicle when that 18 y/o ran the stop sign was only due to the same bars I have in the form of the front bumber/roll bar. Like all vehicles, you need to know there limitations and drive within them. There are things on a highway that I wouldn't do in a Jeep, that I would in a Taurus or some other city car. Roll overs do happen in jeeps... only because people donlt understand how to drive them... but if they do happen... the rope bars are their to protect you... better than a convertable "cool" car would.

In winter... hard top, which is just a fiberglass shell with role bars underneath. In summer... bikini top, a vinyl cover for the main cab... the rest is still just the roll bars... 100% safe in my book... and oh sooo fun... B) My primary vehicle when I need to respond dirrectly to SAR calls...

Cool, maybe ill check out the old Jeeps from the 90's when I go car buying (first car) in October. I was looking for a safe SUV so i'll have to do my research.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Ya I am not a 4 guy anyway lol, I want power when I hit the peddle lol. Ya I know some in 96-02 were kinda shady. I know early 90s can hold their own.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Cool, maybe ill check out the old Jeeps from the 90's when I go car buying (first car) in October. I was looking for a safe SUV so i'll have to do my research.

Cost is the issue with Jeeps unfortunately. Jeepers who have upgraded over the years know how much other Jeepers will pay for a Jeep in good shape with extras. We had to Blue Book mine for the insurance post-collision, and despite the fact that she is almost 18 years old with a good amount of milage, she still was rated at $5,500 w/o the add-ons. If I was to sell her (NEVER), other Jeepers could take one look at her condition and the add-ons and be willing to pay $10,000 (minimum)... god knows I would! For car that old, that's pretty good... considering I baught her for $8,000, 8 years ago, with no add-ons and half the current milage.

Ya I am not a 4 guy anyway lol, I want power when I hit the peddle lol. Ya I know some in 96-02 were kinda shady. I know early 90s can hold their own.

I know a guy with a gutted '92 that is going to drop a one-stroke diesel into his. Ya, I haven;t heard great things from the ~96-02 range. But I love my '92... shes a beast. When (if) I ever get a new car... Unlimited '07! maybe...

Last edited by a moderator:

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Nice!! Ya I have a buddy that wants to do the same, I will have to keep an eye out for a good deal, a little body work never scares me (as long as frame is solid). see what happens. I want the new 4dr though lol.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Studying, studying, kids, more studying, kids, researching online, clinicals, more studying, kids... thats about it for my free time! lol... And this is all study time for classes from last semester just so I can better understand the material and go above what they taught. So much for Summer break from School.

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
Sailing, running, live bands.... and just plain relaxing lol

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm going out riding today :]

Jet Ski's are the amazingess!

OP
OP
minneola24

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
I'm going out riding today :]

Jet Ski's are the amazingess!

Are you going to mission bay? I went riding there once, was a while ago and we fell off (going pretty slow on an almost u-turn and we all just slipped off lol.) no injuries. ^_^

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you going to mission bay? I went riding there once, was a while ago and we fell off (going pretty slow on an almost u-turn and we all just slipped off lol.) no injuries. ^_^

South East side of fiesta island actually. I have my ski and my parents have their two.

If you don't mind me asking, what HS do you go to? I went to Santana.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I like to shoot, mountain bike, and work on my cars when I've got some spare time.