what do you do if you have downtime?

ulrik

Forum Crew Member
that is, if you have downtime?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I used to sleep as much as possible.. hah! Now, I catch up on paperwork and statistics, and enforce my crew to get as much naps as possible. Once in a while, the crew will play a video game or watch some boob tube as well as vent and B.S. with each other.

R/r 911

OP
OP
ulrik

ulrik

Forum Crew Member
sounds like something i would do.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Study, nap, workout with the guys, go to training, watch TV, play on the net.

OP
OP
ulrik

ulrik

Forum Crew Member
everyone has something to do.

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
study, surf the web and emtlife, when school starts do my homework,anything i find that needs to be done around base, work out

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i get as much of my required stuff(station duties, overdue paperwork etc) done as early as possible. i use the rest of my shift to do as little as possible. i can usually be found unconcious, watching tv, unconcious, smoking, unconcious, playing ps2 or unconcious.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Surf the net, sleep, do paperwork, study (not much as every time I pulled out a book we'd get a call)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'd usually catch up with partners (I had no assigned partner), catch up on sleep, watch a DVD, or do work for school.

I know a few Paramedics who used their downtime to get degrees from online nursing colleges. That sounds like a good use of time.

OP
OP
ulrik

ulrik

Forum Crew Member
yes, very great use of there time.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I was field EMS before the Internet

I spent the time doing my homework away from my wife and one year old son in the last year. The first year we spent washing vehicles, and our service also drove limos, drove a contract MNICU, did body pickups for the coroner's and funeral homes, and sold coffins...sort of a cradle to grave outfit... so no downtime.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Good ol' Timmy's

If we get down time and after all the station duties are done, and paperwork is caught up, I like to go hang out at Timmy's.

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
In my short career as an EMT thus far, I've taken nicely to using downtime to do lots of homework or nap. Napping is my favorite :)

NJN

The Young One
Nap, TV (YAY unlimited On Demand :D ) Surf the web, clean, nap, nap, play guitar hero or rock band, nap, nap, did i say nap.

Buzz

Forum Captain
Sit in the truck and :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: about how whoever designed the front console in the E350 must have been a midget because there is absolutely no leg room. I usually end up going in back and sitting on the bench seat or the stretcher where I can actually stretch out a bit and relax.

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
since we are usually stuck on a rig, my partner and i will shoot the breeze, talk about how we are like the only unit that gets the majority of calls on the overnights.......if we have time, take naps, read, homework......maybe if my partner brought her portable dvd player, we'll watch a movie........

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Sit in the truck and :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: about how whoever designed the front console in the E350 must have been a midget because there is absolutely no leg room. I usually end up going in back and sitting on the bench seat or the stretcher where I can actually stretch out a bit and relax.

I'm with you on that one. I usually will push my seat all the way up on the rails and then recline it. THat at least is slightly comfortable

Hastings

Noobie
I've really gotten into reading lately. Never was a fan of books or reading until one of the EMTs let me borrow a book she had enjoyed. Read that, and have been reading ever since.

If not reading, I'm crawling in the back and sleeping on the bench. We have the radio playing music the entire time, and I bring a pillow, so it's pretty comfortable.

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
I take my laptop with me and surf the web, pay bills, going to start taking a book with me as well.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
oh yeah, and flirt with nurses