What Colorado company offers these?

erinself

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,

New to the forum but I have been lurking. I used to be an EMT 10 years ago and I have just finished my class to re-certify. I don't want to waste any more time getting in to my career so here is my question. Does anybody know of a company in Colorado where I can fork 24 or 48 hour shifts and will pay for medic school? Do any companies still do that? I only really want to apply for companies that will do that because I don't want to waste my time. If I am on my own for medic school I might just get a loan and go straight for it right now. Any thoughts?

1979nd

Forum Probie
I'm sure a ton of things have changed in 10 years guy. why don't you work as a emt for a while before you go right into medic school. how do you know being a medic after all this time is really what you want to do?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm sure a ton of things have changed in 10 years guy. why don't you work as a emt for a while before you go right into medic school. how do you know being a medic after all this time is really what you want to do?

You'd be surprised. In the EMT world, things have been relatively stagnant. If he wants to be a medic, why shouldn't he just go for it?

OP
OP
E

erinself

Forum Ride Along
I was born for EMS. It is my passion. I have been depressed having to take a break from it to be with my kids but it is what I had to do. I am 100% positive I want to be a medic. I would rather have more experience although I did do a fire/medical internship in high school for a year and worked for a little over a year as a basic. Like I said I would prefer to have a basic job for a while with a company that pays for medic school. If I can't, I don't want to waste my time with a company I will not continue working for and I would rather go straight to medic school. So does anybody know if any companies will still pay for medic school? Thanks for your reply!

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Thompson Valley, Poudre Valley, Weld County, Platte Valley, Denver Health (very few basic positions ever available last I heard) will all pay for some of their employees to go to paramedic school. In each of these cases, you have to work for them for a certain amount of time as a basic, then sign a contract for employment as a medic post graduation. On the plus side, all of those I mentioned are excellent places to work as a basic or a paramedic. Good luck!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Thompson Valley, Poudre Valley, Weld County, Platte Valley, Denver Health (very few basic positions ever available last I heard) will all pay for some of their employees to go to paramedic school. In each of these cases, you have to work for them for a certain amount of time as a basic, then sign a contract for employment as a medic post graduation. On the plus side, all of those I mentioned are excellent places to work as a basic or a paramedic. Good luck!

Thompson Valley requires two years of EMT experience before they will hire you as a basic. Realistically (as I am sure Chaz knows already), you need some previous experience or part time work with those agencies to be considered for a full time spot.

AMR Colorado Springs will pay for medic school as well after two years as an EMT, but they have very few 24 hour shifts for EMTs.

OP
OP
E

erinself

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the replies guys. I am thinking I may have to work 12s for a while. I would just prefer to work 24s so I can be home more days with my children. Probably by the time I get a good job with 24s my kids will be old enough/ busy enough not to care if I am there!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Three days off one week four the next with the AMR twelves. No complaints there.

Medic4Dawgs

Forum Probie
To add to the list, there are some non-paid places as well that will offer Medic school in exchange for years of service. R/M and AMR both will help at least with tuition assistance.

1979nd

Forum Probie
On the paramedic side....
Does anyone have any opinion about DHPD (Denver Health Paramedic Division)
Has anyone worked for them or know what kind of hours they run?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
4x10s if I remember correctly.

DHPD is probably where I'd end up if I left here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic4Dawgs

Forum Probie
Dh

Denver Health is a private organization now, which has brought some changes for sure. They are still heavily supplemented by the state which creates some confusion for folks but the whole change from Denver General to Denver Health is due to them no longer being a city hospital.

That being said, there are awesome people there and they try to offer an upstanding service despite the humungous call volume that they run (most 5 minute transports, etc).

Schedule is 4 10s and for your first few years expect to violently switch between days and nights, weekends and no weekends, holidays etc.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Denver Health is a private organization now, which has brought some changes for sure. They are still heavily supplemented by the state which creates some confusion for folks but the whole change from Denver General to Denver Health is due to them no longer being a city hospital.

That being said, there are awesome people there and they try to offer an upstanding service despite the humungous call volume that they run (most 5 minute transports, etc).

Schedule is 4 10s and for your first few years expect to violently switch between days and nights, weekends and no weekends, holidays etc.

I was told an average of 7 runs in a 10. Which is busy but double medic splitting the work that's cake compared to running similar volume and not having anyone to share with.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I was told an average of 7 runs in a 10. Which is busy but double medic splitting the work that's cake compared to running similar volume and not having anyone to share with.

Even though they have two medics on a truck, they split the calls by one medic taking every call one day with the other driving and then swapping the next shift. Doesn't necessarily change everything, but something to keep in mind.

Medic4Dawgs

Forum Probie
Another thing to keep in mind is that they run a high volume of BLS calls that sound ALS at first, but end in the reality of being BLS despite their efficient use of EMD and attempting to assign BLS calls to BLS trucks.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Another thing to keep in mind is that they run a high volume of BLS calls that sound ALS at first, but end in the reality of being BLS despite their efficient use of EMD and attempting to assign BLS calls to BLS trucks.

I didn't think DG even ran BLS cars anymore.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I didn't think DG even ran BLS cars anymore.

Me either. I know gray uniforms are their bls providers but I hadn't seen them hire for bls in ages. They did just post a paramedic position... ;)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Me either. I know gray uniforms are their bls providers but I hadn't seen them hire for bls in ages. They did just post a paramedic position... ;)

Hmmmmm

:D

That's backasswards about trading attending and driving.