What cities have their EMS and Fire Departments separate?

JJ Vagabond

Forum Ride Along
I just became an EMT-B. I want to work with a 911 service, but I don't really want to be a firefighter. I know most cities have their EMS and Fire Departments as one. Does anyone know of any medium to large cities where EMS personnel do just EMS and not firefighting? Thanks.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Denver
Boston
Chicago (I think?)
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Charlotte
Honolulu
Many cities in Florida

These were all off the top of my head in about ten seconds of trying. The options are endless, particularly if you include something nebulous like "medium cities." FD transport certainly isn't the only model out there. Many cities have Fire Departments that provide some level of EMS service but don't transport, and many others can't handle all the transports so may work with another agency to help handle call volume.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
City and County of Charleston, South Carolina, Richmond VA, Nassau County NY

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I really only know if the ones in Colorado, but they are -

- Boulder, Longmont, Rural boulder county- AMR
- Golden - AMR ( run under the boulder operation)
- Denver - Denver Health (hospital based)
- Colorado Springs - AMR
- Pueblo - AMR
- Aurora - Falck
- Canon City - AMR
- Fort Collins - Poudre Valley (hospital based)
- Greeley/Weld County - Banner Health (hospital based)
- Summit County - Summit County Ambulance Service

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Depends where you are.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Texas has a lot of them, where the city or county runs ems as a standalone service.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The majority of SoCal uses private ambulances that are not associated with the fire department.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The majority of SoCal uses private ambulances that are not associated with the fire department.
I don't think that's quite what the OP is talking about. It sounds like they are asking about third service systems, not private.

EMT2015

Forum Captain
San Jose, CA

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
Cleveland (OH) fire and EMS is separate (for now anyways)

Tony431

Forum Probie
Chicago Fire/Ems is separate. 2 of my friends work as a Paramedic in Chicago. You have to live in the city within 6 mos after getting hired. Its a very good job with benefits, lots of OT and good pay after 3 yrs. Jan/Feb VERY COLD MONTHS. Clean background record and physically fit- easy to get on as a medic with no experience(they precept you for a year) Very busy department. I work in the area as a FF/Medic. I heard they will be taking applications soon. You made need ALS cert but not sure.

Tour 1

Forum Probie
Philadelphia Fire Dept.
Single role medics
The Phila Fire Dept hires single role paramedics and EMT's. You have the same benefits and union and station as the firefighters.
Medics and EMT's work 42/hr work week.
Residency required after 6 months.
After 5 years, option to move out of the city is available.
Accepting applications from 2/1-2/19.
https://phila.peopleadmin.com/postings/27459

Last edited by a moderator:

Jkass9966

Forum Probie
I just became an EMT-B. I want to work with a 911 service, but I don't really want to be a firefighter. I know most cities have their EMS and Fire Departments as one. Does anyone know of any medium to large cities where EMS personnel do just EMS and not firefighting? Thanks.

Temple,tx - Scott and White EMS (private)
Austin,TX- austin travis County (civil service)

I work for scott and white right now. Temple fire shows up to all P1 and P2 calls on an engine, always good when you need extra hands. They're always hiring like mad. Massive call volume. I've heard good things about austin travis County, but again they're swamped as well from what I hear.