What are your biggest pain points in the EMS industry software-wise?

emtb007

Forum Ride Along
Hello fellow EMS workers!

Just to expand on the title, I’m working on a data collection project to see what the biggest pain points are in the EMS industry with the software we use on a day to day basis.

For example, in my experience, when inputting patient information and tabulating it, I find the iPads and software we use to be very outdated and tedious - I wish we could better streamline this process.

Others have mentioned:
1. Redundancy (the chief complaint, primary impression, secondary impression, and primary symptoms all revolve around the same premise - expanding on just one of these and mentioning the others in the narrative write-up would be much more efficient)
2. Being provided with templates - templates for lift assist, arrest, major trauma, etc are provided so that only the unique details need to be filled out while everything else has already been filled.

What is it for all of you? Thanks for your responses in advance!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Do you understand the NEMSIS data set and the rationale behind all the data collected?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
At my CCT job, we use Imagetrend. Not exactly a fan of that SW but it does work OK. While I don't mind entering in the chief complaint, primary/secondary complaints, provider impressions and so on, it would be nice if some of that would be easier to input.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It’s time for AI integration!

You may call it templates, macros, or whatever else, but I can’t figure out why EMS software isn’t using AI to assist in collecting/writing documentation.

I know providers like autonomy, but I imagine AI would be immensely helpful if it made non-intrusive treatment suggestions. Sometimes at 2 am after back to back calls my brain isn’t firing on all cylinders.

A lot of my time in EMS was spent on the road driving. I wish there was an integrated solution to help navigate, locate addresses, integrate traffic, route via the best route for EMS, etc. I find Google Maps the best for when I’m on foot or want to see the street view of an address, Apple Maps to give the best routing directions in a car, and Waze to have the most updated information on traffic conditions/hazards/etc. Can we integrate the APIs?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
AI integration is coming. Expect it to be baked into every major vendor’s offerings within the next 18 months. Agencies will have the ability to fully customize what is included in each narrative and it’ll meet all the requirements to maximize the payments available.

Last edited:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
AI is inevitable, as is the screw ups and inadvertent release of medical information.