What are these dots?

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I'm watching an assigned PP on airways, this slide came up.. The pattern is too perfect to be a trauma, right? What the heck am I looking at?

dots_zpsc2e26276.png

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Shotgun pattern with birdshot?

OP
OP
Household6

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Shotgun pattern with birdshot?

Birdshot has about 80 pellets per round.. I've seen many many many times what shotguns do to tissue, It's completely random..

What in the world would this guy get impaled on?

I'm about ready to call the trauma center's education director's office..

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I'm thinking he fell/was laying down on something with that pattern. Still no idea what it may be.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Eight rayed star, each ray has three dots outside the central dot. Not in the patient's reach. Away from the obvious hazards of the popliteal region. Uniform diameter. Local area seems to be largely unaffected as of yet.

Someone hates the person? Those look like biopsy punch marks. Was this some sort of staging procedure for cancer? Or a medical fraternity initiation?

Dunno.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
It's not any sort of a GSW. The pattern is just too perfect and it's not a simple board with nails, the holes are too large for typical framing nails. Definitely looks deliberately and nearly simultaneously done (each hole).

mycrofft

Not nails, nails make punctures, these are punch-outs.

(Edit: "Maybe a little") purpura between holes. No periphery marks. (EDIT: "Maybe some indistinct) "connect the dots" marks. Bleeding has apparently mostly stopped (pt looks DEAD). This looks surgical.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
My 2 cents is that it was a ritualistic murder, presuming that he died. It almost looks like someone was trying to "brand" the guy's side, gang tat?

Summit

Critical Crazy
Some sort of industrial thing accident... dunno what makes that punching pattern though... that or Cthulu

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
Hmm...I'm going to go with a run-in with a lawn aerator. I'm not sure of the hole pattern on those wheels, but perhaps could do it and would explain the core like holes.

OP
OP
Household6

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I thought the lack of bleeding was odd too. Especially since he's still on the backboard.

mycrofft

Some sort of industrial thing accident... dunno what makes that punching pattern though... that or Cthulu

Does the Necronomicon come in Kindle?

mycrofft

Retouched and blown up

picture.php

I still think this pt is dead.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
"E" is a gurney side rail. It just folds down. "D" looks like blue jeans. "F" might be fingers - left hand? "C" might be not only marking the star pattern, but also the spine. If that's the case, then those punches are into the thoracic area...

zachogden

Forum Ride Along
Pretty sure that's his top half. You can see his butt pretty clear on the left in the first pic....so the "calf" at D is the shoulder

mycrofft

Pretty sure that's his top half. You can see his butt pretty clear on the left in the first pic....so the "calf" at D is the shoulder

Oh, good. I was thinking "How did they do THAT to that person's right leg?".

I need a prescription monitor to go with my glasses.:wacko: