What antics from students do you hate the most?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
i took my course this past summer and a one or two people in my class (of about 26) had already taken the course but let the time run out before they tested. So he would sit in class, listen to music, during the labs he wouldnt want to do anything, refused to be keded and backboarded simply becuase he had already done it while the rest of us needed/wanted the practice.

Hmmm...he would have failed for lack of participation. A course is more than simply showing up and taking a test here and there.

piranah

Forum Captain
I hate it when the students look at you like your crazy when you try to explain something because "that's not how **insert other instructors name** does it".....Ok maybe not but guess what I DO.....lol

mcgrubbs

Forum Crew Member
I'm in the I-85 program now. At our school, there's two I classes: day and evening. Getting into the day class was like a race. 16 slots for 30+ students.

So, a 17yr old high-school student is in my day class who often states that: "I don't know why I'm here. Just cause, I guess" That's great! Well, we just had our second exam....he's flunked two now, which means he can't get a course completion cert. But he continues to come and annoy us, just for something to do.

AngelEyes

Forum Probie
There is a guy in my class who argues with the instructor over almost every question he gets wrong on a quiz or test, his wife is a R.N. and therefore he knows it all!
Everyone is sooo sick of it...:glare::glare:

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
The kid who talks about decking out his new truck with scanners, loud stuff and bright flashing things.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
references to the TV show Trauma, which is coming back again I swear just to infuriate me

Veneficus

Forum Chief
references to the TV show Trauma, which is coming back again I swear just to infuriate me

References to any TV show for that matter.

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
i hate it when they think they know more than me.....ugh! or the ones who assume that they can "assist their medic with giving nitro" while taking the EMT course. uh HELLO??? do you really think that you take EMT to assist your medic?!?!?! LOL

JPINFV

Gadfly
i hate it when they think they know more than me.....

To be fair, there are times when this is true. I've got a good story from my refresher course where the RN running it had absolutely no clue what she was talking about.

Sodapop

Forum Crew Member
From a student perspective I agree with everything already stated. When I took the EMT-B in 2001 to get CA cert it had been 14 years since my first EMT class and 9 years since I worked or had a cert. So I went in not telling anyone my past until the instructor caught on and questioned me during a break. After that on a few occasions he asked me to assist in class which I was ok with ONLY if he asked me I never took the "I am better then the rest" attitude as I know things change and I need to learn how things are done locally and in more modern times.

When I worked in a 911 service and we had students I did not like the ones who thought that after the call they should sit inside with the Medic while I did all the cleaning and restocking. Sorry but if we were accepting them to ride along then they are part of the crew and we expected the to participate 100% including washing the rig, cleaning the station, etc. Any duties I did as an EMT they were expected to assist in to learn what it was all about not just the patient care aspect. We did not accept many students and we required them to come and talk to us before we agreed and explained our expectations. We were a busy station and we got a good amount of cardiac and trauma calls so people liked to ride in our area if we accepted them.

From a teachers point of view (I taught a hotel operations class) texting, reading other material, talking, etc were the top of my list along with tardiness. Myself and the security class teacher were considered the hardest on the campus because we demanded the students act like adults and our "punishment" was physical and the entire class paid the penality. Meaning if one persson was 5 minutes late then the whole class did situps or pushups. I had 16 - 24 y/o students who were lazy mostly so they did not like when they had to work out phtsically. Made them start to work together to be sure people all got back on time and ssuch or they would all pay for it. One day there were a few new students and a total of 5 people were late 2 under 5 minutes got a warning and then 3 others over 5 minutes so the whole class did 250 situps. then they had a choice to do book work or they could "buy" a special project for another 250 situps. But they do not know what the special project is. They had 30 seconds to make a decision and either be on their backs on the ground or in their seats to do book work. all of them were on their backs. After they finished they were told the project was to deep clean the back office of the class. Anything they find that is not class property they can do whatever they want with. Less than happy faces walked to the back to find 4 Little Ceasers pizzas and a bunchs of crazy bread. They perked up and enjoyed the food and then watched a move the rest of the day.

JPINFV

Gadfly
When I worked in a 911 service and we had students I did not like the ones who thought that after the call they should sit inside with the Medic while I did all the cleaning and restocking. Sorry but if we were accepting them to ride along then they are part of the crew and we expected the to participate 100% including washing the rig, cleaning the station, etc. Any duties I did as an EMT they were expected to assist in to learn what it was all about not just the patient care aspect. We did not accept many students and we required them to come and talk to us before we agreed and explained our expectations. We were a busy station and we got a good amount of cardiac and trauma calls so people liked to ride in our area if we accepted them.
Were the students sitting inside discussing the call with the medic or just sitting inside relaxing while the paramedic worked?

Sodapop

Forum Crew Member
Were the students sitting inside discussing the call with the medic or just sitting inside relaxing while the paramedic worked?

Good point I should have been clear that my problem was with students who wanted to sit inside and socialize or talk to others, etc. Not if they were going over the run or something like that. Generally my medic did not like to do that at the hospital he would finish what paperwork he had to and get out. He would answer any questions but generally liked to wait until we were leaving or back at the station. We did not have the problem much at all but we would see other units who would and students just lounging around waiting for the crew to do the cleaning and such.

feldy

Forum Captain
Hmmm...he would have failed for lack of participation. A course is more than simply showing up and taking a test here and there.

Most of us thought he would fail during the actual state test. While he already was on a college EMS unit (as a ride along student since he wasnt certified. The calls you see in college do not go much farther than picking up a few drunk kids. He had taken the course with the same instructor before who taught at his high school. Im not sure about the grading for the class weather it was just based off of the written and practical tests we had or practicing too, as for me i tried practicing when ever i got a chance, more because i knew i wouldnt have a whole lot of time to practice in the month between end of class and the test.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
This is mainly nursing students, as that's mainly what my hospital gets, but when all they seem to want to do is skim along doing the minimum. If they offered to help out, which some have, they usually get the first notice that something interesting and new is coming through the door.
You are at the hospital to learn, not just practice skills.

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
we had a student sunday at work who sat in the recliner and did nothing when it came to checking our trucks or the very few daily chores. im more hacked at the fact that she had NO interest in knowing what is in our trucks and where. GRRRRRR.........

Veneficus

Forum Chief
we had a student sunday at work who sat in the recliner and did nothing when it came to checking our trucks or the very few daily chores. im more hacked at the fact that she had NO interest in knowing what is in our trucks and where. GRRRRRR.........

A student should not be involved in daily chores unless they are being paid. However, knowing where stuff is should be a requirement.

reaper

Working Bum
Checking off a truck is part of the training. As it is part of the job. Many new EMT's have no clue how to do it.

Guess what, Very low scores on their evals!

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
A student should not be involved in daily chores unless they are being paid. However, knowing where stuff is should be a requirement.

Personally, I always seek out opportunities to help out around the station. It seems to be expected of students, and i feel that we get treated better and "accepted as part of the crew" more readily if we actively engage in station duties.

While I would not clean the restrooms, I help mop after dinner, participate in weekly, wash the engine, rescue etc.

medic417

The Truth Provider

If they want to be accepted they better help. Out of respect to the crews and to show a willingness to learn and be part of the team they better get off their butt and help. As an instructor my students are required to help their preceptors.

feldy

Forum Captain
personally i think that a student should be part of daily chores as long as the mentor is doing them too and not using the student to do the dirty work. On all of my ride alongs, i would help clean up the mess in the back of the truck and help restock. Its part of the job, why not learn about it too. Also if you ever apply to that company...it shows good work ethic.