What age is appropriate to introduce firearms to your children?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
As an interesting followup, my kid still thinks shooting is fun and wants to back out shooting with me sometime. She's just not interested enough in it to say "hey Dad... let's go shooting" most of the time... because of an iPhone addiction. YouTube used to be great, now it's solitaire. :eek:

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
If they can crawl they're already in Prone Position!! Mount a rifle and have at it!

In all seriousness, I agree completely with @Akulahawk.
Not only in method, but philosophy. As we know, everybody is different. Including rate of maturation.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
One thing I do agree with this NOT giving unfettered access to firearms, loaded or not, when I'm away. I have a CCW and I generally have a firearm upon my person while I'm awake. If I'm at work, I do not carry there as that's an instant path to termination of employment. My wife is anti-gun and hates the fact that I'm a gun owner. For a number of reasons, I will not allow her access to my firearms right now. That being said, I do carry when I'm at home. The positive impact upon home security is only present when someone present is trained and is willing to employ deadly force appropriately in defense of the human household occupants from (usually) other humans.

You got a CCW in CA?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
If I ever have kids I'm pretty sure they will be popping out with a straw hat, shotgun in one hand, coors in the other, while wearing a denim onesie...

IMG_0678.JPG

OP
OP
MMohler

MMohler

Forum Crew Member
@Fido198674 No it was more brought up about a 7 year old taking down her first deer. Most people got their keyboards out and turned into the third reich about it. The girl showed no lack of safety and showed confidence in safe gun handling.

It really was not a big deal, should have been more of a proud father and an excited daughter thing. Instead it turned into a case of bad parenting and back lash of the sort. :rolleyes:

*edited so I could attach video link

Rocket, you seem surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MMohler

MMohler

Forum Crew Member
You must not be from CA then. CCWs are VERY, VERY few and far between unless you are LEO (obviously). The only reason my dad got his is because the only thing stopping a 6 inch blade meeting his abdomen was a duty belt (Class A Fire uniform). So self protection got a pass on his app, but even this year they are getting more strict.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
I'm far from having kids, but I do remember climbing shelves to reach my dad's .22 out of curiosity.

Kids WILL find a way. I'd say its better to teach the basic premise of what guns do rather than hide them.

You must not be from CA then. CCWs are VERY, VERY few and far between unless you are LEO (obviously). The only reason my dad got his is because the only thing stopping a 6 inch blade meeting his abdomen was a duty belt (Class A Fire uniform). So self protection got a pass on his app, but even this year they are getting more strict.

Actually I am from CA, and I'm not LEO.

Fido198674

Forum Crew Member
@Fido198674 No it was more brought up about a 7 year old taking down her first deer. Most people got their keyboards out and turned into the third reich about it. The girl showed no lack of safety and showed confidence in safe gun handling.

It really was not a big deal, should have been more of a proud father and an excited daughter thing. Instead it turned into a case of bad parenting and back lash of the sort. :rolleyes:

*edited so I could attach video link

Well update today is that the parents from that call have rightly been charged with murder of that nine year old. I'm hoping it sticks and they get convicted because that was totally irresponsible and wrong. That guy on this video is doing it correctly and there is nothing wrong with it. It's a sad date when SJWs can't tell the difference between these parents.

OP
OP
MMohler

MMohler

Forum Crew Member
@CodeBru1984 Are you from NorCal? I am guessing they are more lax in less populated areas, but OC. Good luck, I would like to apply for one but I don't think there's even a remote chance.

@CodeBru1984 Are you from NorCal? I am guessing they are more lax in less populated areas, but OC. Good luck, I would like to apply for one but I don't think there's even a remote chance.

I'm from just north of Los Angeles.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Some areas are more relaxed than others. In LA or OC you are not likely to be granted one. In riverside county they do allow more (although the current wait time is 2 years) and in San Bernardino there are a lot more with a much shorter wait time.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
How's Kern County?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Some areas are more relaxed than others. In LA or OC you are not likely to be granted one.
We were chatting up some LASD Deputies the other day at the hospital (they were with a patient another crew brought in) and the talk was about how to carry in your car etc and I ended up asking the question if the new Sherrif was more lenient with issuing CCWs....they kinda just laughed and confirmed if you're not a cop or reserve cop don't hold your breath