1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Store is open, now with t-shirts and keychains. Click on STORE in the top menu.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Weight loss ( Need help with getting started)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Curtis Schwager, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Curtis Schwager

Curtis Schwager Forum Ride Along

Education:
    Student
    Wanted to give an update, have lost a decent amount of weight ( still have more to lose) but i am going to be taking my basic course soon. your tips and insight have helped me tremendously i am indebt to all of you. Would you guys like a before and after picture?

CALEMT and STXmedic like this.
  2. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic formerly DEmedic

Education:
    Paramedic
    Sure! Do it!

3. DrParasite

DrParasite The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Curtis, that's awesome!!! There are two general ways to lose weigh: decrease caloric intake or increase caloric usage.

If you have started a membership at planet fitness (which you mentioned last year), than you have already done the second part. Limiting your caloric intake can lead to weight loss, because your body will use your body's fat stores to make up the difference.

a couple suggestions that were suggested to me:

get smaller plates for your home. physically smaller plates. I know it sounds crazy, but having the smaller plates will allow you to have a full plate while eating less.

drink more water. in fact, any time you are hungry, drink 20oz of water prior to your meal. and cut out all soda, it has plenty of empty calories that are doing nothing to help you get fit.

when you are full, stop eating. no need to clear your plate like momma used to require

get a full night's sleep when the sun in down. I lost 20 lbs when i switched from night shift to bankers hours.

The daughter of a good friend of mine changed herself from a chubby girl to a smoking hottie by what she describes as a "lifestyle" change. you WILL gain the weigh back if you treat it as a diet, because once your diet ends, you will fall back into old habits. It needs to be a lifestyle change, where you permanently change your dietary habits, you consistently exercise (not necessarily be a gym member, but you do need to work out somehow), and you need to surround yourself with people who support you, because if you only stay with your "fat friends," with all their bad habits, you will fall back into old habits, especially when going out together. It's kind of like how druggies looking to get clean shouldn't hang out with their drug buddies when they are in recovery.

keep up the good work!

Chimpie likes this.
  4. Curtis Schwager

Education:
    Student
  5. Curtis Schwager

Education:
    Student
    Still a ways to go but it is progress!!!

NysEms2117, CALEMT and VentMonkey like this.
  6. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Crackpot Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Nice job, Curtis. Keep at it, bud:).

7. Dirty Randy

Dirty Randy Forum Ride Along

Education:
    EMT
    Check out a book called "it starts with food".

It goes along with the whole 30 diet, which can be good or bad. The book, and the diet have you go through a strict 30 day diet of all whole foods. The idea is to reprogram your brain when it is carving bad foods. I lost a ton of weight when i did the diet, but i jumped off the wagon hard core and put it back on.

Good luck.

8. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Crackpot Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    This is my issue with "fad diets", books, and "lose-weight-quick" schemes. They're not only unhealthy, and can lead to things like diabetes, they almost always result in a rebounding effect. The best advice I would give is: be patient, start slow.

This means gradual changes. If you're too heavy initially to run, walk, then walk some more, then jog/ walk, etc. all while eating a balanced diet. Remember that whole food pyramid we learned as kids? It actually has quite a bit of value. Omitting certain starches, carbs, proteins, or what have you for the sake of rapid results is almost always bad news, and again, asking for the weight to be put back on, oftentimes double what it was.

By eating sensible, going slow, and most of all being realistic about your diet, you'll do yourself a much bigger favor and will have almost guaranteed yourself a lifestyle diet that's practical, realistic, and sustainable. Fad diets are as the names imply---fads---they never last. The word diet itself shouldn't mean deprivation, it should mean practical changes, small sacrifices, and appropriate rewards.

Edit: and try never to skip breakfast. Mom was right, it is thee single most important meal of the day. It literally stokes the fire for calories to be burned. See? Simple stuff. Overwhelming yourself with rigorous diet regimens is like setting lofty New Years resolutions.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017