Volunteer fire department conflict............... I may quit.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Seriously...At least they typed something in this thead. They bumped a thread from 2005 with an emoticon.

kbrodie694

Forum Probie
fire training

I started as a firefighter and thought those guys with the bandaides were nuts for wanting to get near sick, bleeding people like that. That was 19 years ago, when I was 16 years old. After that I went to school for law enfocment graduated and got a volunteer postion on an ambulance that was starting up as a driver because of something that happened to my grandmother and I didn't have a clue what to do! The private service offered to pay for a Basic class for anyone that wanted to go, didn't think it would be my thing but did it anyway thinking that if nothing else I will be able to help the medic a little more than I do now. Well long story short I went on to become full-time and get my Intermediate and went to Paramedic school (unfortunely wasn't ready mentally and failed out) but have been in EMS for about 15 years. Now working at a local hospital as a phlebotomist and every hospital personel have fire duties in the event of an emergency, and the training you get from the fire department no matter how stupid it may seem can be a big help in EMS to.
I have worked with both Private, Volunteer, Ambulance and Fire and Fire/Ambulance combinations and people who like one thing over another. The ones who are the best EMS / Fire that I have worked with have been those that were willing to do the cross training. Because they may not like doing the fire stuff but they know the background of it and can do it if needed. Not all your patients will be laying on the beach! So get over yourself you joined the fire department with the intent of giving back to the community so what you really need to ask yourself is do you still want to give back to the community or do you want to sit on the sidelines and watch the trucks drive by knowing that you could be doing something. And yes I have sat on the side after getting burnt out, and sitting watching the trucks with lights and sirens going by. It was harder than going to the call. I stayed out just long enough that I had to start over. So I am a basic looking to move up through to medic and this time I will make it!
Fire training can be boring but if your department training officer is like most departments than they are always looking for ideas to improve training, make some suggestions on how it could be more interesting to you.
As far as the Lou and Asst. C forget about them, the cheif doesn't seem to mind what your doing and if they can't say something to you than that means they probably know what the chief thinks and don't dare to. Even in EMS only squads there are people like them!

Lastrite

Forum Ride Along
Pun intended?

Anyone else catch the pun in "I took a phlebotomy class once and it was increasingly tough to stick with it"?

It sounds for sure like you need to leave that volunteer department man. Not a good fit IMO. Good Luck!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
The community leaders have no problem with old threads being resurrected as long as the member provides content related to the topic.

With that said, please keep this on topic.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The community leaders have no problem with old threads being resurrected as long as the member provides content related to the topic.

With that said, please keep this on topic.

Okey dokey...I think I will start a trend and go stir some up with 3 word responses...such as "I would leave", "that is bad"...and some other real hum dingers. :)

As for this topic...I stand by my original on topic posts from 4 years ago or so.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Okey dokey...I think I will start a trend and go stir some up with 3 word responses...such as "I would leave", "that is bad"...and some other real hum dingers. :)

As for this topic...I stand by my original on topic posts from 4 years ago or so.

The CL's have dealt with the individual that started this little trend, and we will do the same to ANY member that violates this rule.
Participants may not bump threads. Bumping can refer to posting useless information, making corrections or updates in a new post, posting one-liners or any other action to deliberately keep a thread hot or to bring it to the top of Recent or Today's Posts. Community Leaders will use their discretion, depending on the nature of the post, as to whether to take action or not.
To reiterate Chimpie's point, we allow people to dig up years old threads because when we didn't we always received complaints that the same topics kept coming up again and again. So it is a choice of having members dig up old threads or having dozens of threads on the exact same topic simply because the thread was closed due to age. As long as a post contributes something meaningful to the old thread, it's fine. Post a bunch of junk such as one or two word comments or smilies, and it will be dealt with.

DillR

Forum Crew Member
I lol'd

on topic, everyone has to do training they find boring or unnecessary, just part of the game, I wouldn't quit just because you have to do something you don't like. no such thing as knowing too much.

-Doc

Last edited by a moderator: