Veteran Preference

f1rewalker11

Forum Ride Along
How do counties/cities in Florida get around from honoring veteran's preference? Im a vet and extremely fustrated :censored:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I've never heard of veterans preference. I would hope they hire the best person for the job regardless of their background.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I've never heard of veterans preference. I would hope they hire the best person for the job regardless of their background.

If I had two equally qualified people and one was a veteran, I'd probably choose the veteran and I hope many others would also do this.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
For sure, but the equally qualified part comes first. I have a lot of respect for veterans, but they need to get by on their own steam, not just preferential treatment.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Places around here use a point system. Being a veteran gives you a couple of extra points. But if there is someone who has more total points then that person gets hired.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
For sure, but the equally qualified part comes first. I have a lot of respect for veterans, but they need to get by on their own steam, not just preferential treatment.

Thank you!

I have a ton of respect for veterans but I CANNOT stand the "I'm a vet, you owe me everything" attitude.

Everything else equal I'd hire the veteran any day of the week but if you're a vet and don't know your stuff and a non vet shows up and knows their stuff inside and out who do you think should get the job?

OP
OP
F

f1rewalker11

Forum Ride Along
Veterans Preference is a FL statute that says we get hiring preferrence in each step of the hiring process. I agree that qualifications must be equal.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
How do counties/cities in Florida get around from honoring veteran's preference? Im a vet and extremely fustrated :censored:

I believe it just gets you 10 points (pro-rated if not on a 100 point scale) added to the "exam score" (assuming you meet "job specifications"). Other States have similar provisions.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Veterans Preference is a FL statute that says we get hiring preferrence in each step of the hiring process. I agree that qualifications must be equal.

This may be the case for civil service positions, but don't expect much from private companies who are free to hire whomever they want.

etacalpha

Forum Probie
Veterans preference only applies to federal jobs and then it still depends on how it's written.

Look at this page for a better undetstanding. opm.gov/staffingportal/vetguide.asp[/url]

Add www first as I can not post links

Last edited by a moderator: