Ventilators recomendations

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
I am Looking at making a proposal for ventilators for ground critical care. The big ones I am considering are the revel, and the ltv series. The ve t would need to be able to function well for icu level transfers. If you have used these vents what are your thoughts about them? Do you recomend them? If not what are you using currently and what do you like about it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Use the revel. Works great and is easy to use. Did not like the LTV.

OP
OP
Z

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
Use the revel. Works great and is easy to use. Did not like the LTV.
What about the LTV did you not like?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The LTV is overcomplicated. I used the LTV1200 at AMR and I liked it, but a lot of our medics had issues. The T1 looks amazing and I want it. We are movign to the Zoll EMV+ vents here

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I liked the LTV1200. After I sat down and read the manual and played with it, I understood it. I think a lot of medics just want to fiddle with the knob. That doesn't work.

I do like the revel. Wish we had one here.

OP
OP
Z

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
Look no further, OP. I present to you the prehospital super-vent...

https://www.hamilton-medical.com/en...LTON-T1.html?gclid=CL2Rq-PWkNMCFZy4wAodP3MHrg
I have seen the t1. Several flight agencies and hospital Ers are using them. They seem like a do anything system and have the newer hybrid modes. I see the price point as a tough sell as we are just starting in the cct arena. Any recommendations on why the t1 would be worth the extra cost of others?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I see the price point as a tough sell as we are just starting in the cct arena.
I can't quote a price, nor do I know what you're being given by their reps. What I can say is that when we began shopping the market for a new vent we looked at several others to include the ReVel, none of which matched the T1's price. Our base manager and I were both surprised by this.
Any recommendations on why the t1 would be worth the extra cost of others?
I don't know that I would call it a "do anything" vent, but their selling point is the ASV mode, which as the name implies, literally adapts to the patients respiratory status.

It has all of the other standard modes of ventilation you would come to expect with any other ventilator out there (PRVC, SIMV, NIV) and has an array of diagrams, and parameters to peruse through and adjust accordingly.

Also, their "dynamic lung" feature is not only kind of cool, but quite helpful with exhibiting the compliance of the lungs themselves. If you're truly interested in pitching to your program, take a look at the link, and perhaps forward it to your program manager(s).

OP
OP
Z

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
I can't quote a price, nor do I know what you're being given by their reps. What I can say is that when we began shopping the market for a new vent we looked at several others to include the ReVel, none of which matched the T1's price. Our base manager and I were both surprised by this.

I don't know that I would call it a "do anything" vent, but their selling point is the ASV mode, which as the name implies, literally adapts to the patients respiratory status.

It has all of the other standard modes of ventilation you would come to expect with any other ventilator out there (PRVC, SIMV, NIV) and has an array of diagrams, and parameters to peruse through and adjust accordingly.

Also, their "dynamic lung" feature is not only kind of cool, but quite helpful with exhibiting the compliance of the lungs themselves. If you're truly interested in pitching to your program, take a look at the link, and perhaps forward it to your program manager(s).
Thank you I'll look into it

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Thank you I'll look into it.
No problem, I forgot about this ventilator. While I have no clue what pricing is, nor do I possess any firsthand knowledge or experience with it, it does look worth some research.

It appears to be a European company (as is Hamilton), and delivers the standard modes up to and including PRVC, which alone was the one mode we wanted for our service when switching vents.

https://www.weinmann-emergency.com/products/emergency-ventilators/transport-ventilator-medumat-t/

Also, IIRC, the LTV and ReVel are both made by Carefusion. The ReVel is essentially the 1200's upgraded big brother to include---you guessed it---PRVC.

The drawback I found with their products was no graphs, which I prefer. It may also help many other paramedics not familiar with vent management "paint the clinical picture", good luck.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Hamilton, hands down. Layout, ease of use, capabilities. It's the total package.

It's also 30 grand, so there's that. In a system where they might need to buy one or two, it might be doable. At my company, we run 14 transfer trucks, so we have at least 16 vents. I can't swear to the actual number, but that's in the ball park. We use the HT70. To switch now would be a half million dollar capital expenditure, which isn't happening until they mandate some change that requires new vents.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Three week thread bump...

OP, if you're still trying to convince your service, or for anyone interested in enticing their service to get familiar with the Hamilton, they have a free online "college" that provides tutorials, quizzes, and simulators*.

http://college.hamilton-medical.com/

*No, I am not a Hamilton rep.

OP
OP
Z

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
Thank you for all the info!I am working to get a hold of reps for both Hamilton and the revel as I am going to do a preposal comparing them both.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
If people think an LTV is complicated then I don't see how the Hamilton wouldn't be mind blowing... Also the Revel is a very similar platform to the LTV series.

Here's the questions I would ask yourself to make a decision between Revel and Hamilton T1
1. Are mostly of your missions run of the mill vented patients like: PRVC, AC, CMV, SIMV, PSV, BiPAP, etc
2. What is your budget, and do you invoice bill for supplies/disposables?

Here's what I would say. My services has the Hamilton T1's. If you want a vent to do everything under the sun and be able to transport any patient possible from a respiratory standpoint, go with the Hamilton. When I say everything under the sun, the Hamilton does so much, has different nomenclature, and will show you more information then you ever knew was possible and can get some people overwhelmed and into trouble pretty quickly. If you want a compact package that will get you by for 95% of IFT runs, have cheaper initial cost, and cheaper disposables cost, then go with the Revel.

The Revel will not do a true BiLevel and APRV like the Hamilton can. The Hamilton is overly chunky and there isn't a great way to package it for RW transports but for ground where you could put it behind the head of the cot on a equipment catch all it would be ok. It's large, heavy, and cumbersome, but you can toss a pre-ECMO patient on APRV on it and have zero issues. If your program is doing those type of missions on a regular basis then Hamilton is your vent, otherwise I am Revel all the way for ease of use, compactness, and cost.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@CANMAN how do you guys mount your vent? We have ours on a pole (only manufacturer I am aware of that makes a mount for the T1) between the medic and nurses seats.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
Do you blokes know of something easy to use and dirt cheap? Like so cheap it's like made by Extreme Poverty Medical Ltd and qualifies for food stamps?

I would love, love for ground RSI Officers to have access to a small mechanical ventilator but the ambulance service is very poor so while getting new medicines is relatively easy, new equipment, particularly which will only be used on a small number of patients seems quite difficult.

Thanks.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
You could probably pick up an autovent 3000 for around a grand. They're O2 hogs and have zero features, but for a paralyzed patient short term, that could work for you.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
@CANMAN how do you guys mount your vent? We have ours on a pole (only manufacturer I am aware of that makes a mount for the T1) between the medic and nurses seats.

Hey man, there really isn't a "great" option in my opinion, or at least anything that I have seen. Unless programs are spending a crap ton of money on custom fab stuff.

We have a custom tray made out of thin sheet metal with a buckle on that which secured the vent in between both aft facing seats in our 135's. Our mechanics fab'ed that up. That's where it lives when not in use, some people put it back in there and secure it for the patient leg of transport when in use, other's do not. Problem with that is you can't really see the screen well/have to pull it out to troubleshoot alarms. Some provider's will hang it from the window sill next to the patient care seat, other's will hang it with the hooks onto the folded up patient care seat. We ride with our third "patient care seat" up pretty much all the time. Not my preference but the way my new program does alot of things I have had to learn to adapt. Really isn't a great way to secure it due to it's size in HEMS transport that I am aware of.

Ground we secure it to the back of the cot with a strap.