Vent About Your Rig

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you take our units out of park with the parking brake on you get to listen to a wonderful shrill alarm to tell you the parking brake is on.

The unit I was in today has an electrical bug so every time you shift out of park you get a quick taste of that wonderful sound, parking brake or no parking brake. :wacko:

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
My only complaint is other crews not taking care of trucks. We generally share a truck with another crew that likes to leave tourniquets and electrode leads on the bench seat. I prefer for things to be organized and clean.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
wifi? You have got to be kidding me!

Haha. The WiFis are protected so we can't use our personal stuff from them. The WiFi is for our company toughbooks. So it's used for Mapping/GPS, CAD, and ePCR. But they have a plug in for a cat5 cable in the modem allowing crews to use personal stuff (mostly just laptops for Netflix during down time).

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Other than the @&$! side mount cot, my truck is not too bad. I do wish it had WiFi like my last service, it would make echarting much faster.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Some of our newer trucks have backup sensors, which give a variety of tones and text-to-speech readouts of the distance through a speaker just behind the driver's head. The sensors were mounted on the back step, and thanks to time, salt, and the inevitable backing accidents, most of them have fallen off or been knocked askew.

Now, every time you shift into reverse, you hear, "Two feet *beepbeepbeepbeep* Two feet...." or, "Object in blind area. *horrible noises* Object in blind area." regardless of what's actually behind you. Annoying, distracting, and it makes me a bit paranoid.

probably the fact that engine/transmission must get to operating temperature before goin anywhere or else the truck wont go over 30mph until it gets up to operating temperature. running emergency traffic going 30mph is pretty embarassing

Yeah, same here for a lot of the older trucks. Generally, I pull out of the garage, turn onto a nice long road, and if it doesn't shift out of first after the first mile, I turn around and try to convince a supervisor to give me a better one.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I've never worked on a truck with less than 150k miles. My two usual trucks have over 300k.

One is missing the armrest on the passenger side, and it won't go to the lowest fan speed for the climate control, so there's always air blasting at at least medium.

The hand sanitizer pump on one is missing entirely and the other's is broken so that you need to bribe it in to working. I usually end up using the wipes instead anyway.

I have to fight tooth and nail for equipment including BP cuffs, pen lights, and PCRs.

The eject button on the tape deck for one is missing, so you need to jostle your O2 wrench in there to get your tape out.

Someone blew the speakers out on one, so everything I listen to is horribly distorted.

The holes in the doghouse where the cables for the MDT used to protrude love to eat pens more than anything else.

If I don't start one immediately when I get to station (usually 15 minutes early) and leave it on through our allotted 20 minutes to check the rig post shift start it won't go over 10mph when we leave the station.

Cruise control doesn't work on one.

Neither has a working e-brake.

Both have the step on the back below the bumper canted at an angle due to people backing into various objects.

There are dents-o'-plenty on each rig.

All the stickers are peeling off on both.

The mirror on the passenger side of one slowly migrates in and has to be readjusted 10+ times a day.

We're lucky if we get money to wash the rigs more than once a month, I make do with.

The off-going crew is worthless and leaves the rig in disrepair, management is unresponsive to complaints.

I could go on...

Sodapop

Forum Crew Member
I've never worked on a truck with less than 150k miles. My two usual trucks have over 300k.

One is missing the armrest on the passenger side, and it won't go to the lowest fan speed for the climate control, so there's always air blasting at at least medium.

The hand sanitizer pump on one is missing entirely and the other's is broken so that you need to bribe it in to working. I usually end up using the wipes instead anyway.

I have to fight tooth and nail for equipment including BP cuffs, pen lights, and PCRs.

The eject button on the tape deck for one is missing, so you need to jostle your O2 wrench in there to get your tape out.

Someone blew the speakers out on one, so everything I listen to is horribly distorted.

The holes in the doghouse where the cables for the MDT used to protrude love to eat pens more than anything else.

If I don't start one immediately when I get to station (usually 15 minutes early) and leave it on through our allotted 20 minutes to check the rig post shift start it won't go over 10mph when we leave the station.

Cruise control doesn't work on one.

Neither has a working e-brake.

Both have the step on the back below the bumper canted at an angle due to people backing into various objects.

There are dents-o'-plenty on each rig.

All the stickers are peeling off on both.

The mirror on the passenger side of one slowly migrates in and has to be readjusted 10+ times a day.

We're lucky if we get money to wash the rigs more than once a month, I make do with.

The off-going crew is worthless and leaves the rig in disrepair, management is unresponsive to complaints.

I could go on...

Wow that does not sound like a decent working enviroment. Granted it has been many years since I was on a rig but when I was the company had great equipment and crews took pride in them and took good care. My biggest complaint was being in the type II's when posting as they are cramped and always felt heat from the engine through the cover.

Sent from my mobile on tap talk please excuse the typos

tssemt2010

Forum Lieutenant
leaking rear main seal in our rig at the moment, company just got 2 new ambulance but they are vans, i am too tall for a van, and not having enough storage, or room to start an IV on the right arm is pretty damn annoying

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
We rotate rigs but some of the highlights include:
1) Sirens with only 1 tone.
2) Arm rests broken off.
3) Rig won't do more than 10mph until its nice and warmed up
4) Lack of electric O2.

Joe

Forum Captain
wow those houston rigs are pretty bad... looks like someone hit a low tree branch on a couple of the pics...

as far as my rig goes if we are using a gps it has to be pluged in to the 12volt in the pt compartment and the cord hung through the little divider door. same goes for charging cell phones etc. the mdt has been down since i started but is suposed to be fixed this week before we get back on. (kinda hoping it takes longer, makes a perfect place to mount the gps) were missing random stuff on the dash (12volt, random switches that i cant figure out) driver side arm rest broken and missing. worked with a fill in partner last shift and for some reason there is a really high pitched whine and sounds like the fan is on hyperspeed when accelerating now. :/

Those pictures of private Houston rigs were ridiculous! I'm glad inspections are done periodically to prevent that sort of stuff.