Value of NYC Volly Work?

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
I'm considering doing volly work. I already do paid IFT/Txp work currently so I'm debating between doing overtime tours at my present job and doing volly work. My primary outcome is more points on FDNY EMS civil service test or getting hired by a 911 hospital.

Pluses of volly work:
+ Get to drive their type3 ambulance, I only drive type2s at my IFT job.
+ Emergency work
+ More EMT experience
+ Only 4 hours a week minimum
+ More points on FDNY civil service test
+ Looks good on resume

Negatives of volly work:
- Time that could be spent on making money/overtime at IFT job
- Working for free

If anyone can give me more reasons or how volly work has benefited them please post here. Thanks!

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Get to drive their type3 ambulance,

Yeah say that to the senior driver at the volley, you won't get to drive.

You're better off driving IFT medics, at least you get to drive a mod, like SCEMS, transcare etc.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
But those five points count a lot ,so join a volley that's fdny 911.

OP
OP
adamNYC

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Lukgiel: Usually the more experienced EMTs get to drive Medics. I'm sure I'll get there eventually but my main goal is to do get promoted to 911 work in my job.

Anyone that have volly experience can vouch for its value? I think I should try it. Not looking forward to dispatching though if I have to do that.

lukgiel

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Lukgiel: Usually the more experienced EMTs get to drive Medics. I'm sure I'll get there eventually but my main goal is to do get promoted to 911 work in my job.

Anyone that have volly experience can vouch for its value? I think I should try it. Not looking forward to dispatching though if I have to do that.

Not at senior care or most companies , sometimes they force you to drive medics if no coverage

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief

At the risk of sounding terminally idealistic, I think volunteering to help others is inherently good. If you find yourself over-thinking it -- e.g., trying to figure all the angles, determining how you can come out ahead, deciding in advance what you will and won't do as part of an existing organization -- it's probably not for you. That doesn't make you a bad person :) I'm just saying the chances of you thriving in that environment decrease as your agenda gets bigger.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
only EXPERIENCED EMTs get to drive? Wow what a perk!

I agree with @Remi , if it will help you get hired go for it. 4 hours a week will not be a huge commitment.

Volunteering is good, no matter your motivation. Besides, I could argue that in the end everything we do is with selfish intentions.

Volunteering because you want to is a big difference from volunteering in the "pay to play" scenario we see all too often on this forum.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
If you look at volunteer ems work as working for free then it is not for you.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Because tue minute you begin thinking about it as a "job" or "working for free" and not simply as helping your community out you are setting yourself up for an early burnout which doesn't do anybody any good.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
As I said, big difference between volunteering and "pay to play". If someone else is profiting from my work I am not likely to partake without my cut.

That doesn't change my outlook on the reality of volunteering though.

Volunteering is not some magical experience for me. I give my skills (not EMS) and time to organizations and individuals who can't afford it due to lack of resources. I consider it giving back...by working for free. No burnout here.

Maybe it's just semantics.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Because tue minute you begin thinking about it as a "job" or "working for free" and not simply as helping your community out you are setting yourself up for an early burnout which doesn't do anybody any good.

Anyone who is volunteering is "working for free". That doesn't mean it doesn't also help their community, or benefit the volunteer in ways that simply working OT can't.

I've know far more burnt out professional EMS folks that vollie ones.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Aye true, but the way it was presented by OP as getting in the way of getting overtime will make someone bitter about it in a hurry.

As he clearly stated he felt "working for free" was a negative

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Working for free has its perks.

Meet cool people (including singles).
Great for networking.
Great for resume.
Opportunities to learn either in your field or others.
Opportunities to parlé into a job.
Usually there is free food involved.

But it is still working for free ;)

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes understood. I spent 10 years as a volunteer firefighter / first responder. All the while working either FT on a unit or in the ED. Never saw it as work and only left it when I couldn't devote enough time to it and to open the slot for somebody else.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
so working for free for 4 hours a week will get your 4 extra hours on the civil service test? sounds like a no brainer to me......

It all boils down to time management. Never turn down OT when you have nothing else planned. if you want the money go for it. that being said, if you make a commitment to be at the volly station for 4 hours a week, that means you can't work for those 4 hours. a commitment is a commitment, and they are relying on you to be in your assigned post, or else someone else needs to cover you.

Volunteering isn't a bad thing; many in EMS (and the fire service) started off their careers as volunteers. some continue to do it after they started working full time in EMS. my former EMS chief in NJ had 25 years with the EMS system in the largest city in the state...... my former EMS Rescue captain had 10 years in the second largest. Neither did EMS FT (they make muuuuuuch better money not working EMS), but I'm sure my chief helped me get my FT job.

Having 911 experience, especially 911 experience in a system similar to where you are applying, can only help you when you interview for the hospital ems job.

or you can cross the hudson, and make more money working part time in NJ in a 911 system once or twice a week.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
This is one of the few scenarios I'd consider volunteering. If it'll get you a better job, it's worth it. Working more hours at a job you don't particularly care for is not going to help anything in the long run.