Upgrade from EMT-B to Wilderness?

Wildland FF

Forum Probie
Heya. I just recently Got my EMT-B, and I'm really interested in upgrading to the Wilderness EMT, or W-EMT, or EMT-W (not sure which one it really is).

My question is: Is it possible to just take an upgrade course without having to take the whole EMT-B course again? I did some quick research on the internet, and all the classes were for EMT-B then they add on a Wilderness aspect to it.

If anyone's got any knowledge it would be appreciated!

OP
OP
Wildland FF

Wildland FF

Forum Probie
Nice. Thanks for the link. Unfortunately none of those classes are available in Los Angeles, or even California for that matter. Although flying out to Montana for a few days sounds very appealing :D

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a shame they won't just let those of us with military training challenge the exam.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
They offer other wilderness classes like advanced first aid. And that class is in Cali. I looked into the WEMT also. Maybe if I get enough money one day

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Not true; you can take a Wilderness First Responder course from NOLS to get yer WEMT. Just bring your EMT card to the class.

Or... I'm getting set up to teach WFR / WEMT upgrade courses in nor cal...;)

If you do one near the Lake Tahoe area you should let me know. I am very interested. I was told by NOLS that you had to take the WUMP to add the wilderness portion.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Agree, but then how could they make money?
Make us pay for the test? It's pure profit at that point since they don't have to put on a class.

OP
OP
Wildland FF

Wildland FF

Forum Probie
If you do one near the Lake Tahoe area you should let me know. I am very interested. I was told by NOLS that you had to take the WUMP to add the wilderness portion.

If I take one near Lake Tahoe, I'd probably never leave Lake Tahoe, even if it means quitting my job. :D

Went there this Christmas and decided to move there once I save some $$. The drive back to L.A. from Tahoe probably felt like being sent from heaven to hell.

JPINFV

Gadfly
To be technical, a WEMT course is no more an upgrade than any other CME course. Just because you took a WEMT course and passed the test does not mean your scope of practice is different in Califonria, as well as the vast majority (all) of states.

OP
OP
Wildland FF

Wildland FF

Forum Probie
To be technical, a WEMT course is no more an upgrade than any other CME course. Just because you took a WEMT course and passed the test does not mean your scope of practice is different in Califonria, as well as the vast majority (all) of states.

I didn't doubt that.. but it would be very beneficial to me in my field if I learned cool tricks like how to make a stretcher out of 4 pulaskis and a nomex jacket. Also, MacGyver was one of my favorite shows as a kid :p

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
but it would be very beneficial to me in my field if I learned cool tricks like how to make a stretcher out of 4 pulaskis and a nomex jacket

You can learn that without taking the class. LOL

wildrivermedic

Forum Crew Member
You can learn that without taking the class. LOL

Yep! Improvisation is real important, and that comes from your imagination. No class needed.

However it's nice to have a few tricks up your sleeve for when you're busy quietly panicking. Practice building stretchers at home with what you'd have on the line! Read incident reports (I reccomend the Dutch Creek report) and run through scenarios in your head. Learn, then improvise. That's pretty much it.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep! Improvisation is real important, and that comes from your imagination. No class needed.

Although there are limits to what will work and that's where relying on your imagination alone tends to get people into trouble. Case in point: improvised tourniquets.

zmedic

Forum Captain
Also when you are stressed, people in your group are freaking out, it's raining etc., that isn't an enviroment that is great for creativity and improvisation. It's much easier to say "this guy hurt his shoulder, activate my practiced script for slinging a shoulder."

The class is also good for learning things like when to carry people versus waiting for rescue, when to clear a spine v backboard.

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
Nice. Thanks for the link. Unfortunately none of those classes are available in Los Angeles, or even California for that matter. Although flying out to Montana for a few days sounds very appealing :D

UCSB has one every year.

IvanD

Forum Crew Member
WFR focuses on long term care as opposed to street side where advanced medical support is available in ~<10 mins.

We were taught that exposure is a huge factor, taught how to improvise splints for comfort. We were also taught procedures that I don't think is recommended to use street-side but necessary in the wilderness (clearing spines, reducing dislocations etc.)

I really liked my WFR course and would advocate it to anyone who spends a lot of time outdoors. SOLO's WFR also allow you to convert to WEMT if you have an EMT-B and a WFR taught by them.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If I take one near Lake Tahoe, I'd probably never leave Lake Tahoe, even if it means quitting my job. :D

Went there this Christmas and decided to move there once I save some $$. The drive back to L.A. from Tahoe probably felt like being sent from heaven to hell.

I don't doubt it. Tahoe is amazing, but, wait for it, don't shoot me, I can't wait to finish school, and get out of here and into a high volume system.

I found a few courses in Norcal but none jived with my schedule.