trucks idling

MedJPavlo

Forum Crew Member
No generators. We don't carry meds either. On an EMT-B cert there is nothing you can really give. Though I wish NJ would use the EMT-I. So I guess I'm doomed to freezing. I should start stocking up on snuggies and heat packs!
u could pop the hood and stand in front of it for a good 30 mins. after that..ur on ur own:ph34r:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So recently my company has decided that when we get posted (our posts are parking lots), we are no longer allowed to idle and keep our trucks on. Is it legal to keep us in freezing trucks?
I'm curious, which company is it? PM me if you don't want it public.

there are two reasons this is done. The first is it burns fuel, and fuel is expensive (or so my supervisor keeps telling me), and leaving the trucks running while at post is a waste of money. the second is that in NJ (like in Cali) it is illegal to idle a diesel engine. you see the warning signs in the parking lots of Wawa all the time saying not to idle your engines.

It def sucks, and most places don't enforce the laws about emergency vehicle idling. instead of asking people on a web forums, why not call the nj department of labor and ask them?

OP
OP
Silver_Star

Silver_Star

Forum Crew Member
It def sucks, and most places don't enforce the laws about emergency vehicle idling. instead of asking people on a web forums, why not call the nj department of labor and ask them?

Yeah. That probably would have been the best option. But I was hoping some mega whacker would have known.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Its also really bad for the diesel engine to try and force a cold start. The glow plugs need to warm up first, which in the 20-30 degree weather we are currently experiencing in the garden state could take a minute or more, delaying response time

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Its also really bad for the diesel engine to try and force a cold start. The glow plugs need to warm up first, which in the 20-30 degree weather we are currently experiencing in the garden state could take a minute or more, delaying response time

Not only do the plugs need to warm the block, but the engine should warm up while running as well. I have a diesel pickup and in cold wx I keep it plugged in. Still, the plugs take a good 20 seconds to heat, but it takes about 3-4 minutes to come out of high idle. (indicating it is warm enough to drive safely)

That would significantly delay response time in my opinion. But that is just my opinion.

firemedic07

Forum Probie
is it just me or is every thing either 1 or 2 things in cali. 1 illegal, or 2. known to cause cancer in california. lmao.
here in nc, we leave the trucks running during the winter when were standing by where we have an office.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
you are wrong. it isnt one or the other, here in CA. everything is illegal and causes cancer. we are not allowed to have any fun, which is why i am looking at any reason to leave.

firemedic07

Forum Probie
you are wrong. it isnt one or the other, here in CA. everything is illegal and causes cancer. we are not allowed to have any fun, which is why i am looking at any reason to leave.

haha damn, that sucks. its nice here in NC not having to worry about every lil thing.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
No generators. We don't carry meds either. On an EMT-B cert there is nothing you can really give. Though I wish NJ would use the EMT-I. So I guess I'm doomed to freezing. I should start stocking up on snuggies and heat packs!

According to the information I got from several reliable sources at the State EMS Convention, including conversations with various people present at the medical directors' meetings, both OEMS and the various medical directors want to see the new National Scope EMT-AEMT-Paramedic model in NJ. Along with expansions to the EMT scope of practice, such as ASA.

Given the rate EMS changes are introduced in NJ, I wouldn't exactly hold my breath, but there seems to be support for a change.

In response to the OP, I would rather get in trouble for idling my rig than freezing in this weather. Though it should only take a few seconds (not minutes) for the 'wait to start' light to go out so you can get the rig going again.

And yes, I have idled the rig. Sometimes parked directly in front of the WaWa "no idling!" sign. :p

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
ummm, am I missing something. what is a WaWa?

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you carry epi, or pens they need to be kept between 60-85 degrees.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Do you carry epi, or pens they need to be kept between 60-85 degrees.

Or oxygen? ever give a patient O2 that is anything colder then room temp? you'll probably kill them if you did, espcially if its below freezing

WARR

Forum Crew Member
So how long does it take to get everything running? The MDC, radio, electronics, etc, in the rig if you have to have it turned off while posting? I know most PD's have their squad cars idling when on a call since it takes for ever for things to boot up. because if there is an emergency down the road they have to jump in the car and go - not wait for everything to boot up and get warm. It'll delay response time.

JPINFV

Gadfly
All of the electronics in the ambulances I've been in (MDTs and radios) operate off of battery power regardless of if the engine is on or the key is in the accessories position. Additionally, when turning them on, they are on immediately without need for boot time.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a ubiquitous chain of convenience stores in this area, many of which now also have gas stations. Think 7-11 or Circle K or what have you.

Its somewhat different. They have a cult following unlike other convenience store chains. People speak of them as legendary edifices, places where one can always acquire a quick donut or coffee.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Its somewhat different. They have a cult following unlike other convenience store chains. People speak of them as legendary edifices, places where one can always acquire a quick donut or coffee.

Not in Maryland, not in my experience. We have them here, but they aren't regarded any more highly than any of the other similar chains.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Do you have diesel or gas rigs? Diesel trucks will idle forever without using much gas, so it's not economically unfeasible to let them idle if you are using diesel rigs. If so, see if you can reason with your superiors, its at least worth a shot.

Actually if you read the manuals on newer diesels you will find they are not designed for extended idling.

OP
OP
Silver_Star

Silver_Star

Forum Crew Member
I'm curious, which company is it? PM me if you don't want it public.

there are two reasons this is done. The first is it burns fuel, and fuel is expensive (or so my supervisor keeps telling me), and leaving the trucks running while at post is a waste of money. the second is that in NJ (like in Cali) it is illegal to idle a diesel engine. you see the warning signs in the parking lots of Wawa all the time saying not to idle your engines.

Or oxygen? ever give a patient O2 that is anything colder then room temp? you'll probably kill them if you did, espcially if its below freezing

Then how come I have no problem breathing outside during cold weather?