Trooper vs. Paramedic

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Holy crap he caught up to them on a hill with solid no passing line. I will not pull over onto a blind shoulder and if I am running code I will not pass on a blind hill. He was behind them less than 10 seconds. Most people do not check mirrors that often on highways and you can not hear sirens behind you at highway speed. This cop needs fired.

As to Paramedic what the hell was he jumping out before the cop even approached the ambulance. If he stuck his head out and said please hurry I have a patient then closed door a lot of this would not have happened.

If he felt they needed talked to call them on radio and see if they have patient, if yes wait outside hospital and take care of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Holy crap he caught up to them on a hill with solid no passing line. I will not pull over onto a blind shoulder and if I am running code I will not pass on a blind hill. He was behind them less than 10 seconds. Most people do not check mirrors that often on highways and you can not hear sirens behind you at highway speed. This cop needs fired.

As to Paramedic what the hell was he jumping out before the cop even approached the ambulance. If he stuck his head out and said please hurry I have a patient then closed door a lot of this would not have happened.

If he felt they needed talked to call them on radio and see if they have patient, if yes wait outside hospital and take care of it.

In addition you notice that car on the side of the road (I think is parked), something probably better to stop on the other side of because you would be stopping pretty quick.

Some bad calls by both sides, but in reality if he thinks thats failure to yield he should move to somewhere that has a population greater than 10,000 or whatever this rural town is.

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

I would like to clarify, that Maurice the Paramedic has decribed that he saw a passenger in the OHP car (the troopers wife) and thought it might be a patient. This sometimes happens in rural areas, I have had Troopers stop me or meet me with a patient.

R/r 911

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
the paramedic that jumped out was very calm in the first little argument, really made the trooper look like an idiot yelling like a 5 year old on a tantrum. he just explained that he was in charge so the trooper should talk to him, and that they had a patient.

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I also want to describe that the driver (Franks) is a relatively newer EMT/EMS. One of the reasons the Paramedic attempted to interact and inform the trooper of the situation.

R/r 911

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Summary of the upcoming posts:

Cop was wrong, should be fired.
and
Cops can do no wrong.

I just saved you countless pages of reading, you're welcome.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I would like to clarify, that Maurice the Paramedic has decribed that he saw a passenger in the OHP car (the troopers wife) and thought it might be a patient. This sometimes happens in rural areas, I have had Troopers stop me or meet me with a patient.

R/r 911

The trooper was coding with his wife in the passengers seat?

medic417

The Truth Provider

R/r 911

My only problem is he left his patient alone. Had he waited for his partner to get in the back so he could check the other patient fine but leaving patient alone is not a good practice. I work very remote and we often treat multiple unrelated patients, but at least one of us always stays with the patients in the patient compartment.

I like that he stood up as person in charge but just disagree with leaving patient.

And hotel yes the cop needs fired and sued. ;)

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Summary of the upcoming posts:

Cop was wrong, should be fired.
and
Cops can do no wrong.

I just saved you countless pages of reading, you're welcome.

Ahhhh, you beat me to the punch. Linuss must've not been on yet today...

Seems like an overzealous cop who let his emotions take over. The shoulder was small, at best, and it was a double solid line - the cop could have used a little prudence and good judgement and slowed down just a touch until he crested the hill; it hardly slowed down the cop in regards to his total response time to the initial scene. Also, the cop seemed to only get physical after another cop showed up. Police are supposed to play impartial mediator in most situations and keep their cool despite unwelcoming situations. Unfortunately, it wasn't the case here. That being said, the medic wasn't doing the best for his patient or the situation by jumping out of the ambulance right away.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Both videos were very upsetting to watch... for what its worth I wrote to the OK Dept of Public Safety expressing my disgust for Trooper Martins actions. Hopefully more people do as well.

JCampbell

Forum Crew Member
WOW ...someone needed a vacation, badly. The car in front of the ambulance probably heard the troopers siren and saw an ambulance behind him and pulled over abruptly, while the driver of the rig probably couldn't hear as well due to noise in the cab. Combine that with poor rear visibility and a car suddenly slowing down in front of you, drawing your attention ahead, plus narrow gravel shoulders and you get a delay in pulling over. I would do the exact same thing. Remember we are taught that it's much better to take it slow and get there alive, then make sudden, rash driving decisions in a 10,000lb plus rig.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
cop fired,

both ambulance company, EMT and paramedic, and pt should sue the officer(s). thats unacceptable!!!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'm going to make a really long post that I had short.

Ambulance wasn't running code, so it could have pulled over--- the car in front of it did.

Medic pushed cop.

Medic resisted lawful orders and arrest multiple times.

Medic abandoned patient---- TWICE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cop had attitude.

Cop could have handled differently.

Both in the wrong...with a huge difference in what the wrongs were.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The trooper was coding with his wife in the passengers seat?

It's not like ambulances don't run L&S with a patient's family menbers in the truck as well as following in their POVs speeding though the red lights behind the ambulance.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not like ambulances don't run L&S with a patient's family menbers in the truck as well as following in their POVs speeding though the red lights behind the ambulance.

We also don't respond to police emergencies. The hospital is very different then some sort of police emergency.

medic417

The Truth Provider
It's not like ambulances don't run L&S with a patient's family members in the truck as well as following in their POVs speeding though the red lights behind the ambulance.

What happens when he gets there to aid his fellow officer and a shoot out ensues? Much different than if the parent of a child rides with us, as no one else is allowed to ride. Plus police cars run much faster than the average ambulance. Would she be an additional distraction to the cop?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Raise your hand if you've done a ride along with a cop who went code?

*Raises hand*

Mmkay. Now that we have that established--- yes, police cars go faster but have MUCH better handling characteristics then big boxes do.

Add on top of that the sheer amount MORE EVOC and hazard driving training that police get over the average EMT and medic... in fact ANY EMT/Medic.

I for one am more scared of a partener going 50 weaving in and out of traffic.

What happens when he gets there to aid his fellow officer and a shoot out ensues?

Every cop I've ridden with tells you exactly where the panic button is, how to put the car in gear, and where the release for the M4/Shotgun is if a suspect is coming at you with a weapon and the cop is down. They don't kid around with ride-alongs. They tell you like it is, just as a medic preceptor will, and tell you you can get hurt or killed while doing a ride along.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Mmkay. Now that we have that established--- yes, police cars go faster but have MUCH better handling characteristics then big boxes do.

Add on top of that the sheer amount MORE EVOC and hazard driving training that police get over the average EMT and medic... in fact ANY EMT/Medic.
Thank you for establishing that it might take a few seconds for the big ambulance to safely move out of the way and yield to the cruiser. If that's what that officer considers 'failure to yield,' then I bet he's giving out a ton of failure to yield tickets.

I for one am more scared of a partener going 50 weaving in and out of traffic.

Weaving in and out of traffic is stupid and dangerous at any speed in any conditions.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Thank you for establishing that it might take a few seconds for the big ambulance to safely move out of the way and yield to the cruiser. If that's what that officer considers 'failure to yield,' then I bet he's giving out a ton of failure to yield tickets.
Huh?

He pulled in to the oncoming lane of traffic to pass by a car that had pulled over for the officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.