Trooper vs. Paramedic

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
That would be a known incident and provisions could be made just as they are for all called where civilian ride-alongs are concerned. As well, a LEO is not going to put himself immediately in harm's way. They also are trained for scene safety and probably much more so than some in EMS who rush in.

Very well.

He could have been doing a traffic stop. It goes bad. Suspect sees another body in the car starts shooting. Personally, I wouldn't put my spouse in that situation. It may not violate OHP policy, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Obviously he missed that class since he was responding hot while his wife was with him, to an officer needing help.

Officer requesting help doesn't always mean "DANGER!" Could mean "I need someone to transport a suspect" as not every cruiser has a cage.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Obviously he missed that class since he was responding hot while his wife was with him, to an officer needing help.

And you are also making assumptions since the details of why she was in the car were not given.

I also can not speak, nor can you, for the policies of all the PDs in the U.S. but I did post the statement from a Captain in the OHP.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I think the point is this.... the Trooper instigated the ENTIRE incident and is the reason it escalated. The Trooper showed no professional courtesy and was obviously high on a power trip. As an EMS provider... you protect your pt. and train, and train, to always do best for your pt. That Paramedic was in "protect my pt" mode and was focused on an uninterrupted level of care and just wanted to get his pt. to the hospital. The Paramedic did nothing wrong. H ewas very cool, calm, and collected given the :censored: nature of this Trooper.

I for one don 't see people as titles.. I see them as people... so badge or no badge makes no difference to me whatsoever. Respect is earned not demanded by a badge and gun. I know I would have had more words to say to that officer then the Paramedic did.

There is no defense for this Trooper and I hope he is fired as soon as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The Paramedic did nothing wrong. H ewas very cool, calm, and collected

I'll withdraw my first comment, BUT;

I don't get how there are such varying views on the same exact video. The proof is in the digital pudding. You can see the incoreect actions on BOTH sides, yet people still give the medic a freebie.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm just glad my service has an excellent relationship with the local RCMP detachment. For any call involving mental health, violent, and suicide calls the RCMP will respond and we don't enter the scene unless they are present. In Fort Smith we have a population of 2500 people and our RCMP detachment at full strength consists of.

1 Sergeant
1 Corporal
7 Constables
2 Auxiliary Constables

We get along with all of them.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yeah, that's how the run it around here, as it should be run in all places.

Police go in to any unsafe scene, and EMS comes in when cleared.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Okay, I'm done removing inflammatory posts from this thread.

adminsn1.gif

medic417

The Truth Provider
How Long Before You Report Drivers? - Time Stamps of Trooper Passing Ambulance

I found this break down of the time stamps of the Oklahoma trooper coming up and passing the ambulance very interesting.

13:55:55 On a curve. Ambulance and car ahead.

13:55:59 About to crest hill on no passing zone.

13:56:02 Car in front of ambulance pulls over.

13:56:03 Ambulance passes car.

13:56:05 Pass complete.

13:56:08 Trooper now moving to left.

13:56:09 End of no pass zone.

13:56:10 Ambulance begins moving over

13:56:13 Pass complete

So in total less than 20 seconds went by and was only on bumper of ambulance a few seconds. So my question is since this trooper thought it justified arresting the "ambulance driver" for failure to yield, how long do you wait for a person to yield before you call them in? Have you ever called a person in that refused to move over? Are there any black and white laws as to how many seconds/minutes constitute failure to yield, or is this left up to each person to interpret?

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
I found this break down of the time stamps of the Oklahoma trooper coming up and passing the ambulance very interesting.

13:55:55 On a curve. Ambulance and car ahead.

13:55:59 About to crest hill on no passing zone.

13:56:02 Car in front of ambulance pulls over.

13:56:03 Ambulance passes car.

13:56:05 Pass complete.

13:56:08 Trooper now moving to left.

13:56:09 End of no pass zone.

13:56:10 Ambulance begins moving over

13:56:13 Pass complete

So in total less than 20 seconds went by and was only on bumper of ambulance a few seconds. So my question is since this trooper thought it justified arresting the "ambulance driver" for failure to yield, how long do you wait for a person to yield before you call them in? Have you ever called a person in that refused to move over? Are there any black and white laws as to how many seconds/minutes constitute failure to yield, or is this left up to each person to interpret?

i'm not trying to start another debate, but i'm pretty sure he never said anything about arresting the emt driving, he only said he was going to give him a ticket.

i've never had any problem with anyone not pulling over for me while running hot....but that could be cause we are a childrens ambulance and who doesn't want to get out of the way for kids. i've had a problem with people riding my tail while we are running hot, especially during rush hour. guess they think we are there to clear a lane of traffic for them. anybody ever had a problem with that?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Ambulance and car were visible at 13:55:45. If you can see someone on a dash cam, there is no reason why you couldn't see it in person. Dashcams are really grainy and of poor quality.

Also, watch the video a bit more closely. The double yellow stops just before the cop moves left.

But as for your question;

Are there any black and white laws as to how many seconds/minutes constitute failure to yield, or is this left up to each person to interpret?

T.C.A. 55-8-132. Operation of vehicles and streetcars on approach of authorized emergency vehicles.

A. Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle making use of audible and visual signals meeting the requirements of the applicable laws of this state, or of a police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible signal only:

1. The driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersection, and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer; and

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I have only reported one driver, the driver of a city Sanitation truck. I was behind him while my nurse was struggling to keep a burn patient's airway open on our way to USC. He refused to pull over and flipped me off when I finally passed him at a red light.

I would be VERY lucky in Los Angeles to get a vehicle to pull over as quickly as that ambulance did. By my standards, that ambulance got out of the way pretty fast. This is not a comment in support of any one side of the other debate, it i merely an observation weighed against what my experiences are in Los Angeles.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
This topic is closed because two previous threads about it have gone downhill in a hurry.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
All threads on this topic have been merged into one, and this topic will remain closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.