Traumatic Asphyxia

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
Has anyone encountered this?

Scenario. I was off duty. Vehicle next to me slams a bridge abutment. I stop and run back. Driver was sitting back in his seat, appeared unable to breathe, and was full cyanotic. I dragged him out, opened the airway and gave one breath. He instantly started breathing and the cyanosis vanished in seconds.
I did a follow up, following an ambulance in. Patient had a mild concussion and abrasions and contusions. Nothing else. Doc informed me I had dealt with a traumatic asphyxia.
I've never seen anything like it, before or since. Have never seen such an instant rescue response.

Last edited:

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Every time someone plugs off their trach or ET tube. Looks like death, suction and a few breaths, looks great.

OP
OP
RedBlanketRunner

RedBlanketRunner

Checking it. When venous blood is forced backwards into the arteries. So... it could have been as simple as the thump onto the ground that did the reverse?
So how did you obtain patient information from a physician on someone you Had no relation to or business need?
😂
1+1. EMS. Answer your own question.o_O

OP
OP
RedBlanketRunner

RedBlanketRunner

@CCCSD Respectfully, would you please, at the very least, familiarize yourself with EMS requirements and mandates. The PCRs and their purposes. And make the little logical leaps like a person is an EMS worker and as the first responder, fully involved in the patients welfare, the follow up, and writing of the PCR.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
@CCCSD Respectfully, would you please, at the very least, familiarize yourself with EMS requirements and mandates. The PCRs and their purposes. And make the little logical leaps like a person is an EMS worker and as the first responder, fully involved in the patients welfare, the follow up, and writing of the PCR.
I don't write PCRs when I'm off duty, that would be the responsibility of the crew actually responsible for the patient. We can only go off of what your fanciful words tell us.

FiremanMike

Just a dude

Please educate us on the EMS requirements and mandates that allow for an off duty rando to follow the medic in and interact with the hospital staff?

As with your other stories, exactly 0% of this actually happened in real life.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
And here I thought I was going to have to wait at least a week for the next “I‘m so awesome” tall tale from this jabroni. What a treat. Here we have another completely made up tale of heroics, iced with a made up condition he also just happens to have cured.

Mods, please dont ban this guy. You cant buy content this good.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
@RedBlanketRunner , you should know traumatic asphyxia isn’t really possible without trauma.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Isn't this scenario called getting the wind knocked out of you?

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep. This wasn’t TA, in the slightest. Just goes to show when you make up tell a story, do some research.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Isn't this scenario called getting the wind knocked out of you?
OP is an expert at knocking the hot wind out of himself. This is pure comedy gold

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Oh boy. I don’t know what system or hospital will give out patient info to non transport personnel unless it’s to someone related to continued care.
That being said, does not sound like TA. That would require significant trauma to thorax working in an OR, only time I ever Heard of it happening was with a significant crush injury

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Back on topic please.