"TRAUMA"...It's Back!!!

JPINFV

Gadfly
1. If pretty blonde chick is an MD, why is she practicing as a full-time paramedic? Why did she get in trouble for using MD skills? Is that just not allowed in the U.S.? I know RNs can do pre-hospital care as RNs, is there not an equivalent for MDs?

A fully licensed physician (MD or DO) is not comparable to other medical and nursing providers (including NPs, PAs, and CRNAs, however not DPMs, DMDs, ODs, and DPTs who can practice within their specialty). A fully licensed physician is licensed to practice unrestricted medical care. In other words, there is no "scope of practice" for a physician because everything is technically in their scope of practice. Similarly, a physician doesn't lose the legal ability to practice medicine when s/he steps outside of the hospital or office, hence why every EMS system should have a formal procedure for dealing with physicians on scene.

Now licensing for physicians is kinda of weird compared to other health care providers since most states require at least a full year of residency (also called an internship year). So someone who graduates from medical school and never completes residency has earned the postnominals of MD or DO, however they lack a license to practice. In like manner, Step 3 (the last of the 3 physician licensing exams) is taken during the intern year.

So yes, even though she has graduated from medical school, since she hasn't completed step 3 and her intern year (there is no need to complete residency to be a licensed physician), she can not practice as one and is limited to the scope of practice of paramedics. Similarly, there is absolutely nothing limiting physicians from practicing prehospital medicine, including not being affiliated with an EMS service.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
Since when do we not cardiovert someone with a pulse if they needed it?
Since the EMT that gave the jolt was only a basic. I can't cardiovert someone as an I/85 either. Not sure if a I/99 can or not, but it still doesn't matter. In the episode the guy was a basic.

I actually did watch one of the 'FAQ' videos on hulu about the show and one of the questions that someone submitted was, 'are these people REAL EMT's?' Apparently the director / Executive Producer / whatever he was said that he did send them through an EMT-B class and some of them got their certification. I HOPE that none of them are actually practicing anywhere like that. Of course he also said that they work very closely with SFFD and some of the 'extras' on the show really are the real thing, but EMTs and cops.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
But your initial concern wasn't that it was an EMT doing the shocking, but that they "shocked a patient with a heartbeat", which can and does happen.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I tell you what...

When the episode where the two pilots leave the bird to go treat solme broken wrist and find someone has stolen the ride, tell me and I'll watch.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
A fully licensed physician (MD or DO) is not comparable to other medical and nursing providers (including NPs, PAs, and CRNAs, however not DPMs, DMDs, ODs, and DPTs who can practice within their specialty).

Similarly, there is absolutely nothing limiting physicians from practicing prehospital medicine, including not being affiliated with an EMS service.

Thanks for all of the information! Some of it is really new to me.

Does a physician get board-certified at the end of their residency or is that what passing step 3 grants? Can they get clinical positions without completing residency?

And thanks to everyone else who answered my questions!

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Board certification occurs at the end of their residency or fellowship (for example, a cardiologist is board certified in internal medicine and subspecialized in cardiology), but it doesn't affect their legal scope of practice. What it will affect, though, is their ability to get malpractice insurance and practice rights at hospitals. However, while it would be hard to get employment without board certification, there's nothing stopping an unspecialized (a true "general practitioner") licensed physician from starting his own practice. Most primary care physicians are now specialized either in family medicine or internal medicine.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
WHAT!?? Linus, you were supposed to tell me! Or did they steal the idea off this..

;)
JUmped that shark early.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sorry, but I refuse to watch Nick until they bring back Guts, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Rocko's Modern Life, and 3 hours/day of Merry Melodies/Loony Toons.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Hopefully this time it won't leave me criticizing it every 5 seconds and will actually portray EMS closer to what it really is. Although I will say that Trauma was starting to get better and a little closer to reality as the series progressed. Second chances don't happen very often, NBC better not screw it up again.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry, but I refuse to watch Nick until they bring back Guts, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Rocko's Modern Life, and 3 hours/day of Merry Melodies/Loony Toons.

I agree about Rocko and Loony Toons!

So for now I'll continue to watch COPS

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
Hopefully this time it won't leave me criticizing it every 5 seconds and will actually portray EMS closer to what it really is. Although I will say that Trauma was starting to get better and a little closer to reality as the series progressed. Second chances don't happen very often, NBC better not screw it up again.

uhg, you do not understand that the show is a drama series and not supposed to be betrayed as reality. :wacko:

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
But your initial concern wasn't that it was an EMT doing the shocking, but that they "shocked a patient with a heartbeat", which can and does happen.

I seen it done to someone. That dude was conscious and was given a very rude wake up call.

reaper

Working Bum
That is why you never use the word "shocked"!

They are defibrilated or cardioverted. Two different things!

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
uhg, you do not understand that the show is a drama series and not supposed to be betrayed as reality. :wacko:
Yes, I do realize that, but they could have still portrayed it more realistically than they did, while keeping the drama in it.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I seen it done to someone. That dude was conscious and was given a very rude wake up call.
I've done it (cardioversion) to my own mother. Sans sedation.