"TRAUMA"...It's Back!!!

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I agree though, how many cop dramas portray reality. Law and Order, etc.

The legal and procedural issues in Law and Order are usually pretty spot on.

I mean, really... everything I ever needed to know about law, I learned from Jack McCoy.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Jack McCoy.

He also managed to pull off a professional appearance without having sex in the office on every show.

ER was one of the most popular shows that managed to butcher medicine every episode but yet it still demonstrated a degree of professionalism. Even the sluts (male and female) on the show were able to maintain some degree of respectability.

This past episode was shot before they announced some changes were going to be made to ease the controversy. Future episodes might be better but I doubt it since those who are are most vocal about its poor content continue to watch the show. I have yet to see more than 10 minutes of the first episode where blondie was screwing her partner in the back of the ambulance. I just happen to get caught in a traffic detour by the filming or hear about one when I'm in the Bay area.

I also refuse to watch a show that glorifies everything wrong about HEMS where scene, provider and patient safety are concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxbat

Forum Captain
The producer said that after all the flack they received, they were concentrating on the people and less on the dramatics.
So, the show will be about medics getting drunk, having affairs, divorcing, getting into rehab, getting out of rehab, getting drunk, getting married, getting into fistfights, getting divorced, getting back into rehab... And in between, they will do a little patient care sometimes?
Sounds a lot like "Rescue Me".

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
So, the show will be about medics getting drunk, having affairs, divorcing, getting into rehab, getting out of rehab, getting drunk, getting married, getting into fistfights, getting divorced, getting back into rehab... And in between, they will do a little patient care sometimes?

Sounds about right.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP

I guess its more exciting than a couple over weight guys staging in a parking lot all day eating, reading, and sleeping. :p

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I watched the latest episode of Trauma yesterday on hulu.com and I was even more disappointed than with previous episodes.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I watched one episode and refused to watch any more.

The ambo's down at the station think it's utter trash and that is putting very midlly.

Twix623

Forum Crew Member
All of you guys seriously need to loosen up. It's TV Entertainment, everyone has a fit over how the show portrays EMS, to the public's mind in the end "they save lives" that's all they see.

You guys nit pick every little thing, calling people sluts & such, it's ridiculous. Don't like it? Don't watch it. Obviously if you're picking things out of the show it's obvious that you're watching. Jeeze... <_<

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
i guess noone saw mother jugs and speed. noone seems to ever complain about how scandelous it was. medics sabotaging other units, lying to the police, drinking and doing drugs in the ambulance, carrying weapons, having sex in the ambulance...just a few that come to mind. i know thats sort of apples/oranges, but the idea is the same.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
i guess noone saw mother jugs and speed. noone seems to ever complain about how scandelous it was. medics sabotaging other units, lying to the police, drinking and doing drugs in the ambulance, carrying weapons, having sex in the ambulance...just a few that come to mind. i know thats sort of apples/oranges, but the idea is the same.

It's apples and oranges, because that movie was designed to be a comedy. It was also a totally different era of EMS.

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
because some of those things never happen in todays era of ems(let the flames begin)...an ambulance company owner would never be fraudulent and work the books....

i think people are getting needlessly worked up over it. shows like ER, grehys anatomy, privat practice etc. have been portraying doctors and other healthcare workers doing things that are certainly immoral/inaccurate for years. im sure others have said, the directors of the show are in the entertainment business, not the documentary business.

the general public doesnt care about the accuracy of what they are seeing. thats why we see things like discovery health network being replaced with the oprah winfrey network...actually, i think most people prefer to fiction to fact

i agree that the show is rediculous, but i will dvr it and be somewhat entertained.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
The legal and procedural issues in Law and Order are usually pretty spot on.

Since this is text only I really can't tell, but HOPEFULLY you're being sarcastic.

My wife, an attorney, can't STAND Law and Order. About the only thing they DO get right is what the courtroom looks like. Beyond that, they are so far out in left field it isn't even funny. Ssshhheeettt. They're not even in the ball park. In fact, it's not really even the same SPORT. Law and Order is to real life about what Cricket is to Baseball. There's a ball, a bat, some running. . . . . and that's about it. My argument is that, as many have pointed out in THIS thread, it's TV ENTERTAINMENT. That's it. I still enjoy watching it.

And on that happy note. I might see if I can find some Trauma episodes on Hulu.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
My wife, an attorney, can't STAND Law and Order.

So why is Law and Order so popular? The characters are not glamorous. In fact they appear to be rather boring in appearance and personality. There are no sex scenes in every episode. We actually know very little about their personal lives. The characters seem to be very much like those we do see on our commutes and in the office buildings...regular people. And yes they do pull the punches on some scenes especially when it comes to jury selection. If they presented that as it really is with the intimate questions the potential jurors must answer in front of several people, there would probably be a lot less juror notices being answered. Maybe for Law and Order to have been so successful they found that it isn't necessary to overwhelm the senses to still provide ENTERTAINMENT. You don't have to blatantly put in sex, drug abuse, in your face alcoholics, explosions and lots of gore to attract an audience.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
So why is Law and Order so popular? The characters are not glamorous. In fact they appear to be rather boring in appearance and personality. There are no sex scenes in every episode. We actually know very little about their personal lives. The characters seem to be very much like those we do see on our commutes and in the office buildings...regular people. And yes they do pull the punches on some scenes especially when it comes to jury selection. If they presented that as it really is with the intimate questions the potential jurors must answer in front of several people, there would probably be a lot less juror notices being answered. Maybe for Law and Order to have been so successful they found that it isn't necessary to overwhelm the senses to still provide ENTERTAINMENT. You don't have to blatantly put in sex, drug abuse, in your face alcoholics, explosions and lots of gore to attract an audience.

Perhaps there are different styles of shows because there are people with different viewing preferences. Just because the show has been very successful does not mean that you can use that as evidence of it realistic portrayal of lawyers. Perhaps a drama about legal processes and arrests is based on a more intellectual and interesting topic, one that allows for it to exist without the fluff of special effects "required" in Trauma, or maybe they just have better writers? I can't believe there's any serious discussion about these shows beyond which ones you like or don't like.

cfrench

Forum Crew Member
What I find to very intriguing is that Kevin Tighe will be coming on for a short run. THAT will be worth watching.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Perhaps there are different styles of shows because there are people with different viewing preferences. Just because the show has been very successful does not mean that you can use that as evidence of it realistic portrayal of lawyers. Perhaps a drama about legal processes and arrests is based on a more intellectual and interesting topic, one that allows for it to exist without the fluff of special effects "required" in Trauma, or maybe they just have better writers? I can't believe there's any serious discussion about these shows beyond which ones you like or don't like.

No one said Law and Order was realistic. It just has a quality that doesn't rely on "fluff" to attract a large demographic for its audience. The characters aren't that unbelievable even if it doesn't actually portray a real courtroom.

Interesting that you described legal shows as more intellectual and interesting while stating the fluff of special effects "required" for trauma. Do you not believe a show like Trauma couldn't exist without lots of cleavage and explosions? Could there actually be a well written script that shows medicine as interesting and intellectual? Or, is this the type of show that attracts only the trauma junkies who aren't the intellectual types and can't imagine anything about medicine being interesting except for the cool helicopters and L&S?

As far as serious discussion, have you not ever had the chance, especially since you live in CA, to be part of a marketing survey group the tests these shows before they are made available to the public? These shows have several millions of dollars riding on them and finding the right formula will make or break their popularity and budget. The cities and vendors that also sign contracts with the filming crews have scheduling and financing to consider as do the services such as EMS and PD which must be involved during the making of these shows. Trauma is definitely an expensive production. So yes, I would imagine there are some very serious discussions going on about this show. Of course there are also the EMT(P)s in the Bay area who are anxiously awaiting the next extra call to get their 5 seconds of camera time.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
No one said Law and Order was realistic. It just has a quality that doesn't rely on "fluff" to attract a large demographic for its audience. The characters aren't that unbelievable even if it doesn't actually portray a real courtroom.

Interesting that you described legal shows as more intellectual and interesting while stating the fluff of special effects "required" for trauma. Do you not believe a show like Trauma couldn't exist without lots of cleavage and explosions? Could there actually be a well written script that shows medicine as interesting and intellectual? Or, is this the type of show that attracts only the trauma junkies who aren't the intellectual types and can't imagine anything about medicine being interesting except for the cool helicopters and L&S?

As far as serious discussion, have you not ever had the chance, especially since you live in CA, to be part of a marketing survey group the tests these shows before they are made available to the public? These shows have several millions of dollars riding on them and finding the right formula will make or break their popularity and budget. The cities and vendors that also sign contracts with the filming crews have scheduling and financing to consider as do the services such as EMS and PD which must be involved during the making of these shows. Trauma is definitely an expensive production. So yes, I would imagine there are some very serious discussions going on about this show. Of course there are also the EMT(P)s in the Bay area who are anxiously awaiting the next extra call to get their 5 seconds of camera time.

I'm not arguing that this show couldn't be staffed with the average looking actors/actresses, have a slower albeit more realistic plot, and still have an audience. All I am saying is that its a niche show. More serious medicine dramas already exist. I am sure the producers understood that and pursued a more dazzling action show on purpose. Its titled "TRAUMA" for crying out loud, all I would expect is the crazy BS that it is.

And the spending of money and coordination of filming sites is irrelevant. Since neither you nor I are city officials or the producers of these shows, lets leave the "important" discussions of money, viewer ratings and city disruption to them. Write a letter to your city government.

All I am saying is that I would expect nothing other than what I have seen of the show since it is filling its niche. Who cares anyway?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Its titled "TRAUMA" for crying out loud, all I would expect is the crazy BS that it is.
You and I definitely see "trauma" differently. Trauma doesn't have to be a big explosion or airplane crash with all the glamour. It can be a little more realistic and still portray a human emotion. If you ever get a chance to see the inside of a real trauma center, you can see many interesting human stories about medicine and emotion without all the glamour, sex and explosions. I don't consider any trauma or a patient BS.

And the spending of money and coordination of filming sites is irrelevant. Since neither you nor I are city officials or the producers of these shows, lets leave the "important" discussions of money, viewer ratings and city disruption to them. Write a letter to your city government.

All I am saying is that I would expect nothing other than what I have seen of the show since it is filling its niche. Who cares anyway?

There is nothing irrelevant about where these shows are filmed and maybe there are a few things you should understand about basic financing of a city budget and where your own paycheck might come from. Ever wonder why some in EMS feel they get screwed over but yet have no clue about their contracts, billing or how an ambulance service survives be it private or public?

And if you don't care, then that is your business but it is ironic or rather sad you are in a profession that is supposed to care about the community. If it influences revenue to my area and doesn't take away from it, I do care if it brings jobs to an area that greatly needs them now. Get a look at the bigger picture and start caring about the what goes on around you other than just looking at it as just another adrenaline junkie show that gets EMTs and EMTwannabes excited by the L&S with dreams of getting more T&A just like on the TV show. Good or bad it may be of some use unless it operates in the red and leaves town in debt.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I don't think anyone should get worked up about this on either side. fictional TV is retarded period.