"TRAUMA"...It's Back!!!

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
You and I definitely see "trauma" differently. Trauma doesn't have to be a big explosion or airplane crash with all the glamour. It can be a little more realistic and still portray a human emotion. If you ever get a chance to see the inside of a real trauma center, you can see many interesting human stories about medicine and emotion without all the glamour, sex and explosions. I don't consider any trauma or a patient BS.

There is nothing irrelevant about where these shows are filmed and maybe there are a few things you should understand about basic financing of a city budget and where your own paycheck might come from. Ever wonder why some in EMS feel they get screwed over but yet have no clue about their contracts, billing or how an ambulance service survives be it private or public?

And if you don't care, then that is your business but it is ironic or rather sad you are in a profession that is supposed to care about the community. If it influences revenue to my area and doesn't take away from it, I do care if it brings jobs to an area that greatly needs them now. Get a look at the bigger picture and start caring about the what goes on around you other than just looking at it as just another adrenaline junkie show that gets EMTs and EMTwannabes excited by the L&S with dreams of getting more T&A just like on the TV show. Good or bad it may be of some use unless it operates in the red and leaves town in debt.

You are the queen of straw man arguments.

I will not fall into a never ending debate with you as others have before. Partially because you are simply looking for a debate, but mostly because we agree. You have taken a small statement I made and extrapolated my entire character from it. You have decided how much knowledge I have regarding my company, my city's EMS contractual agreements. You have decided that I do not have basic EMS knowledge and assumed I lack the ability to understand patients emotional needs (I have had many sick sick family members, this one really bothers me). Is it fair for you to imply that, because I have not worked as a respiratory therapist in a trauma center, I cannot comment on the nature of a television show (based on my own profession, not that of a hospital worker?). You have taken all these assumptions about me and lumped them into an argument, knowingly or unknowingly, and disguised the original topic at hand. There are so many assumptions that I will not take the time to write an essay addressing them all. So I will restate my stance (regarding the ORIGINAL THREAD):

Trauma is a niche television show that is designed to attract a certain audience. It is liberally based on events that COULD occur in the EMS field but has a great deal of drama (i.e. conflict and sexuality) to again target its audience group. Whether this show causes the masses to want to join EMS under false pretenses, I do not know (and technically neither do you, unless you have polled anyone). I DO NOT LIKE THE SHOW because it lacks correct EMS protocols and does not reflect the job that I do every day, but I understand that simply because professionals don't think the show is accurate does not necessarily mean the show is not viable.

I never intended or wanted to discuss the socio-economic effects that the filming of the show has on the public/private entities and inhabitants of the region it is filmed in.

If you wish to discuss the impact of the filming on future employment prospects, inaccuracies in the the public's knowledge of EMS, or the legalities involved in a metropolis' EMS-- then start another thread. And please don't make any more assumptions about me, at least don't use them as evidence for a counterargument to straw man that I never mentioned or argued for.

Last edited by a moderator:

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
In re-reading my post, I wish we could simply return to making jokes about the funny show that is trauma and not extensively debate such a nonworthy topic.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
You are the queen of straw man arguments.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I never intended or wanted to discuss the socio-economic effects that the filming of the show has on the public/private entities and inhabitants of the region it is filmed in.

You type a bunch of stuff and then can not back up what you say or try name calling to end the conversation. Is name calling the only way you will deal with a situation or when you want out of a discussion? Granted you are probably very young but don't expect to be able to deal with all of your problems by name calling especially in the medical profession. Resorting to name calling every time you get into a conversation over your head will never get you anywhere. You were also the one who stated you did not care and not I which lead to my comments about expanding your outlook to more than just yourself and one tiny area. I don't like the show and I don't watch it. However, for the Bay area which has been hard hit in this economic times and there are many EMTs looking for work, I hope it does get its act together and puts a little back into the economy.
In re-reading my post, I wish we could simply return to making jokes about the funny show that is trauma and not extensively debate such a nonworthy topic.
I am just trying to see the positive of a bad show since I have already pointed out its faults in an earlier post. Should I apologize for having an opinion about not laughing at a ridiculous show while knowing other concerns it brings?

And, if you don't want to read any of my posts, just hit the block feature. Having you not read my posts will not hurt my feelings in the least.

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
You and I definitely see "trauma" differently. Trauma doesn't have to be a big explosion or airplane crash with all the glamour. It can be a little more realistic and still portray a human emotion. If you ever get a chance to see the inside of a real trauma center, you can see many interesting human stories about medicine and emotion without all the glamour, sex and explosions. I don't consider any trauma or a patient BS.
No one said Law and Order was realistic. It just has a quality that doesn't rely on "fluff" to attract a large demographic for its audience. The characters aren't that unbelievable even if it doesn't actually portray a real courtroom.

yeah this has been done. I will defer to my previous statement regarding the success of entire networks dedicated to a more realistic view of the health care industry. i can only assume they would have done some research on the subject before canceling an entire network. "real" medicine must not attract enough viewers...

law and order doesnt have fluff you say? they would never have subject matter like sex, drugs, gruesome murders, and other violent crimes, right?:rolleyes: also, they routinely have cases which mirror real cases in the national media. to me, that is without a doubt of "fluff". these people are in the fluff business.

like everyone else, im not saying this is a good show. im just saying its no worse than them...(which doesn't say much) though the actors in trauma seem to be a little more terrible to me.

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
You type a bunch of stuff and then can not back up what you say or try name calling to end the conversation. Is name calling the only way you will deal with a situation or when you want out of a discussion? Granted you are probably very young but don't expect to be able to deal with all of your problems by name calling especially in the medical profession. Resorting to name calling every time you get into a conversation over your head will never get you anywhere. You were also the one who stated you did not care and not I which lead to my comments about expanding your outlook to more than just yourself and one tiny area. I don't like the show and I don't watch it. However, for the Bay area which has been hard hit in this economic times and there are many EMTs looking for work, I hope it does get its act together and puts a little back into the economy.

and saying someone is young and dumb, is much different than calling them young and dumb(where was the name calling again? i guess he called you a queen?)...Being condescending is far more mature than name calling

VentMedic

Forum Chief
law and order doesnt have fluff you say? they would never have subject matter like sex, drugs, gruesome murders, and other violent crimes, right?

How much time is spent on the gruesome murder scenes and how many times are there lingering closeups of the body? Generally it all takes place in the first minute of the show and much of the actual gore is left to one's imagination with good use of shadows.

And when did the show have Jack McCoy having sex in his office? If anything it may have been discretely implied to allow the audience to finish the rest of the story.

This show may have taken some lessons from Hitchcock who know when to present the violence and when less is best to allow the imagination to take over.

I consider fluff to be when a helicopter or car continues to explode long after it has been charred to ashes or the lead characters must strip nearly naked to distract from pathetic dialog or a scene that lacks other creativity.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
and saying someone is young and dumb, is much different than calling them young and dumb(where was the name calling again? i guess he called you a queen?)...Being condescending is far more mature than name calling

Since when is young an insult? He still has a lot of learning to do judging by some of his other posts.

Point out in my posts where I called him dumb.

Jeff, that was you that just called him dumb and not I. There is a big difference between being young and that of being dumb. Do you think he is dumb as well as young?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
right again vent. you are always right and dont ever let anyone tell you different

Just point out where I used the word dumb. I don't care to be accused of using that word to a forum member. It is not about me being right. Just point out the word before you make the accusation that I called him dumb. You brought it up and used the word dumb...not I.

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
to me it was implied by the condescending tone of the argument. you said he was young and then went on to state that he was "into aconversation over your head". to me that implies being young as a negative, and that he is is too unintelligent (aka dumb) to have a conversation. how about you answer my question for once...what name did he call you? he made the statement that all of your arguments use a straw man style of rhetoric. if you are unfamiliar with what that means, maybe you should look it up (see how i can make a condescending statement about your intelligence without calling you a name? pretty cool, huh)

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Ventmedic,

It's not name calling (sorry I added the queen) rather its pointing out your style of argument. Straw man is not name calling to you, rather your style of argument. A better response than telling me I'm name calling ("mom sandiegoemt7 called me a name") would be to state how your argument addresses statements made by me, not fictitious stances that you have somehow assigned to me.

I understand that you are trying to expand the topic to something more intellectually stimulating to you, something that has more purpose. What I don't agree with is the manner that you attempt to do this. You take a non-personal topic (the show) and then turn it into a discussion about my general knowledge on several topics and my maturity? My knowledge of EMS, and medicine, may be young, but knowledge of the world around me is far from the simpleton you condescendingly imply me to be.

Either way I don't see why this is turning into a mud slinging match, when we have all agreed:

-the show is weak
-there are other shows like this one that are successful, there have been and will be more
-it can provide revenue if it has an audience
-it does cause impact in the region of its filming
-it may possibly feed the swarms of ill-informed future EMTs and civilians

I'm sure there will be a condescending lashing for this post, should be interesting. (I'm getting more entertainment from this post, then an action packed scene in trauma, charred car exploding and all)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
to me it was implied by the condescending tone of the argument. you said he was young and then went on to state that he was "into aconversation over your head". to me that implies being young as a negative, and that he is is too unintelligent (aka dumb) to have a conversation. how about you answer my question for once...what name did he call you? he made the statement that all of your arguments use a straw man style of rhetoric. if you are unfamiliar with what that means, maybe you should look it up (see how i can make a condescending statement about your intelligence without calling you a name? pretty cool, huh)

Rhetoric? I could also pick on your grammar or lack of it.

Jeff, if I didn't know what something meant how do you think I was able to reply to you? Pretty cool, huh?

You can also point out where I used the work untelligent. You seem to be trying very hard to put words into my posts or read into them your own views of SanDiegoEMT7. By the words dumb and unintelligent which you are using, that view may not be too flattering. That is a quite a difference than being labeled as young and telling someone to broaden their outlook a little.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Ventmedic,

It's not name calling (sorry I added the queen) rather its pointing out your style of argument. Straw man is not name calling to you, rather your style of argument. A better response than telling me I'm name calling ("mom sandiegoemt7 called me a name") would be to state how your argument addresses statements made by me, not fictitious stances that you have somehow assigned to me.

I understand that you are trying to expand the topic to something more intellectually stimulating to you, something that has more purpose. What I don't agree with is the manner that you attempt to do this. You take a non-personal topic (the show) and then turn it into a discussion about my general knowledge on several topics and my maturity? My knowledge of EMS, and medicine, may be young, but knowledge of the world around me is far from the simpleton you condescendingly imply me to be.

Either way I don't see why this is turning into a mud slinging match, when we have all agreed:

-the show is weak
-there are other shows like this one that are successful, there have been and will be more
-it can provide revenue if it has an audience
-it does cause impact in the region of its filming
-it may possibly feed the swarms of ill-informed future EMTs and civilians

I'm sure there will be a condescending lashing for this post, should be interesting. (I'm getting more entertainment from this post, then an action packed scene in trauma, charred car exploding and all)

My condescending attitude only came off from a couple remarks you made earlier and I developed my debate off your responses.

My only point was to give a different view to a show that does have some impact even if it is not always the obvious.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
My only point was to give a different view to a show that does have some impact even if it is not always the obvious.

When I immediately dismissed Trauma as being another "stupid show" I had not thought about all the other factors involved. Mostly because I hadn't thought twice about it.

But it is settled then, and we can move on to the next chapter (or in this case thread).

Unless?

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
deleting my post. its not worth the argument haha.

trauma is the scourge of the earth.

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
agreed SanDiegoEmt

i think the aspect of the show i most frequently find myself shaking my head at is the depiction of flight ems. at least they have the configuration of ground ems correct ie basic/paramedic. everything about their depiction of air ambulance is incorrect. 1 pilot, 1 medic. going first in on calls, even routine medical calls. in one episode they were dispatcheed to a beach for something like SOB or chest pain, i forget. they get there and the guy is in a chair on the beach drinkin a big gulp and eating a cheesburger or something, and the cowboy flight medic starts tearing into him about wasting his time. it was a pretty bad depiction of EMS care, but it is one that happens. in the last episode they had the flight crew fly standby to a swat standoff at a bank robery...

it reflects the public's general perception of what EMS is. most nurses dont even know what we do (excluding ER nurses). every hospital rotation i have had outside of the ER (ICU, OR, L&D) i have been asked what it is ems does and why i would rather do that than be a nurse. most of them beleive we only practice at pretty much a BLS level of care. but i suppose this is another topic...

i agree it would be a great thing if this show would find a way to depict EMS in a positive light and become a forum to educate the public about what it is ems is about (though it will never be completely accurate). however, i am definitely not holding my breath.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
agreed SanDiegoEmt
we only practice at pretty much a BLS level of care. but i suppose this is another topic...

That is the topic in most threads.

I watched one episode and I agree with you, it has some accurate and some far from accurate parts. But as with any drama (e.g. the way that CSI members collect evidence, interview suspects, and make daring arrests compares to the flight crew situation) its all about viewership.

The producers make more money off a show that can have more diverse plots by utilizing both ground and air crews (risking EMS viewership) rather than portraying an accurate situation with less drama and liberty from actual protocols (risking the entire viewership).

Obviously these are my on generalized opinions.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
everything about their depiction of air ambulance is incorrect. 1 pilot, 1 medic. going first in on calls, even routine medical calls.

Not necessarily incorrect but as I stated earlier, the show glorifies many of the things wrong in HEMS which the industry is striving to correct to save the lives of flight teams and patients.

Maryland State Police Medevac and several FDs still use 1 pilot and 1 Paramedic on the helicopter. Maryland was supposed to make changes after their fatal crash and I don't know if that has occured yet.

For some calls we do get dispatched with the ground rescue with the possibility of arriving before them. Yes we have been asked to standby for certain incidents either at the station or approach to another location. It depends on which department the helicopter is from be it Law Enforcement such as Highway Patrol or Sheriff's Office, FD, private or a county EMS system as to what their additional responsibilities might be. We have also been called for very routine things because of poor triage by the ground crew or because they didn't feel like driving 15 minutes to the hospital that night.

it reflects the public's general perception of what EMS is. most nurses dont even know what we do (excluding ER nurses). every hospital rotation i have had outside of the ER (ICU, OR, L&D) i have been asked what it is ems does and why i would rather do that than be a nurse. most of them beleive we only practice at pretty much a BLS level of care. but i suppose this is another topic...

In California where this show is being filmed it is a little different. Nurses are on the Flight and CCT teams since California Paramedics have a very limited scope of practice in that state. At public education exhibits for flight, it is not uncommon to see an RN/RN team educating the public so some might think it is unusual for a Paramedic to be on a flight team. And yes it may be very rare (in California) for many in the hospitals to know what a Paramedic is since they don't go much past the ED doors. The only EMS providers seen even in the ICUs are EMTs who are assisting the RN on CCT. MICNs are also very active in the county EMS systems in that state. In other states, Paramedics may be a regular part of Flight and CCT teams so most of the hospital staff recognizes who they are and what they can do.

For some situations, if an ALS team only does the bare minimum even for assessment when they bring a patient into the ED, why would one assume they can function higher than the BLS level regardless of the patch they wear?

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
um,, it's a TV show...,