Tis the season

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Today, as part of my daily reading I was presented with an article on patients giving holiday gifts to physicians.

About the only misgivings of the many examples cited and interview answers were gifts from psych patients.

Some of the listed gifts were rather large. One physician reported being given a house as a gift in a will.

Another reported an estate that granted him a yearly custom tailored designer suit for the rest of his life.

So, while this seems completely beyond the realm of EMS, let me point out...

Over the years patients have sent cards, pizza, food trays, and all manner of gifts to every EMS or Fire organization I have ever worked for. On a handful of occasions I have been offered cash (no small sums at that) which took more than great effort to refuse.

Recently a physician collegue of mine was presented with a cash gift and it took almost a personal insult to graciously refuse the offer.

When I was in Fire and EMS, it was considered ethically unacceptable to accept personal gifts. It was always related to me that it could be considered a bribe or a unwritten demand for more by the patient.

But physicians are permitted to accept gifts. As are lawyers.

How many of your departments' ever sent home-made cooking back to greatful patients or families? Christmas cookies?

Why is it unacceptable for EMS providers to accept personal gifts?

Have you ever accepted a personal gift?

What is your opinion on the matter?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Aside from the usual cookies/pies/brownies delivered at holidays, almost never. I can think of a couple of times I've accepted food from little old ladies. The two times coming to mind were both cases where we were brining the old lady home. Both insisted we take some cookies. I learned a long time ago not to argue with little old ladies when they insist on something. It is immensely easier to just give in and move on.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
We get food all the time, more than we can use.

As for cash, we initially refuse. If becomes an issue of personal insult, we take the cash and then give it to a designated Capt. that donates it t a FD approved charity. If we can doo "Fill the Boot" every year, taking cash and passing it along to the officer should be appropriate.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Cash to me: At one point, I would accept it. That was when I was young and green and didn't know better (first year in IFT). Now - Nope. Not at all. If they want to make a donation, mail a check.

As for food, etc - If it's delivered to the station and given to all - sure. No big deal.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We have a system in place to accept donations from grateful patients. Our Paramedic Association will except these donations and use the monies for the benefit of all paramedics in the county.

See my previous post about Kuerigs in each of the paramedic stations.

martor

Forum Crew Member
I was offered cash but just said that the company doesnt allow us to receive gifts. I just tell them to call in and say we did a good job (positive feedback= bonus in the paycheck.) I am too germaphobic to accept food from someone. What i did take was a toy car from a teen psych pt.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Working in jail......even shaking hands was not a good idea, usually.
:ph34r:

On the street: never ate food (always wrapped it up to eat later), explained firmly and not regretfully on the first go-round I could not accept money but would appreciate it donated to their church or favorite charity, "pay it on", etc.

I had two instances where the pt or their family tried to fix me up with a granddaughter or daughter.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I was given a glass of ensure by a little old lady with dementia once. I didn't have the heart to turn her down. She also insisted I take her favorite book with me (old people magazine).

Our department actually let's us take gifts of minimal value but we have to report it. There is no definition for minimal value but I was told it would be less then 10 dollars as I recall.

Just as a side note my sister a flight attendant had a sweet little old lady on one of her flights. She spent the 2 hours of the flight chatting with the women and at the end of the flight the woman insisted my sister take one of her obviously very expensive rings. My sister helped the woman off the plane and spoke with the woman's daughter who came to pick her up explaining that she didn't feel comfortable taking the ring but the little old lady wouldn't take no for an answer. The daughter explained that her mother had recently had a series of small strokes and would give things of value away then not remember and call the police telling them she had been robbed. Just something to keep in mind.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Small gifts are acceptable, offers of small amounts of food e.g. a sandwhich, cuppa or bikkies are taken but anything larger is told to be delivered to the station, monetary gifts are to go to fundraising people.

I do not see anything wrong with accepting nominal gifts, especially if they are food!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I should clarify that not every patient sends us a big bunch of money, nor do they offer. However, we are a paid county ALS service in an area that is served predominantly by volunteer fire companies. These fire companies often solicit donations and survive on the kindness of others. Local citizens often show their appreciation with their checkbook. We receive donations and thank you letters frequently at our paramedic office, but because we are a county service, any of these donations have to go to our nonprofit paramedic Association.

And we often get plates of cookies, pies… That sort of thing, delivered to the station. It's always nice when a patient that you've saved shows up with a plate of cookies to shake your hand.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If I could expand on the Op?

Why is it ok for a doctor to recieve a large value personal gift, but not a EMS provider?

Do you think it should be ok?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

Why is it ok for a doctor to recieve a large value personal gift, but not a EMS provider?

Because they are rich already?

Honestly, I'd say its wrong, and the reasons against it are about the same as for EMS.

Funny - I'm thinking back to when ER was good - there was some discussion of a bushel of lobsters delivered every year as a "thank you". (Pretty sure it was the Mark Greene Letter episode... But it's been a while).

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

I personally don't think it is ok beyond small things at any level. We are doing our job. Do they give the garbage man a giant present for picking up their trash on time and without making a mess every week?

I've turned down money plenty of times, tell them they can mail it if they want to make a donation, if they become offended by it I tell them I really appreciate the offer but their gift wont hold me over for long when I lose my job if someone finds out. That generally squashes that problem.

I'll take food or coffee or juice or something of that nature if offered, from a clean residence, if I'm hungry but I generally politely refuse.

One thing I've done a few times and my supervisor thought it was funny was whenever I make food for a diabetic that we wake up I generally make a plate for myself to share with my partner and sit down, eat and chat with them. Within reason of course, I'm not raiding these peoples fridge but a PB&J or quesadilla split between myself and my partner...why not? If they say something I tell them I made them two and they need to eat both. Then they generally say "That's too much, you guys work hard, share it!"

Win-win situation.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You're OK, NVROB, I don't care what CBS says. Keep dry, now.