Three things that I dislike to do as a Paramedic

Jason

Medic
Paperwork.
Incompetent coworkers.
Ungrateful people we respond to for "help".

emschick1985

Medic
Haha I
No we had a station but I am so uncomfortable going number dos around coworkers (boys). I know it's dumb but...
Haha I announce when I'm gonna poo to go ahead and just get it out in the open

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Paperwork

Allowing anyone with a C/C to go to the hospital by ambulance even if it's total BS. You have had that cough for a month now and have not done anything for it. Use one of your 4 running cars and drive your d*** self to the ED or urgent care.

Allowing every patient to pick the hospital they want to go to. I do not want to transport you to a hospital 30 miles away because it's closer to your wife who just got out of jail and bypass 6 hospitals in the process for a BS complaint. If you have an actual reason for not wanting to go to a certain hospital then cool, no issue.

Angel

Paramedic
haha, my preceptor would pull the internal disaster card for people who wanted to go WAAAY out of our area (for things like a prescription refill)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
haha, my preceptor would pull the internal disaster card for people who wanted to go WAAAY out of our area (for things like a prescription refill)
I contacted the hospital he wanted to go to and informed them that there were 6 hospitals closer. The MICN and Doc had me put the phone on speaker mode and they told the patient he was going to the closest facility or not going at all.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Paperwork

Allowing anyone with a C/C to go to the hospital by ambulance even if it's total BS. You have had that cough for a month now and have not done anything for it. Use one of your 4 running cars and drive your d*** self to the ED or urgent care.

Allowing every patient to pick the hospital they want to go to. I do not want to transport you to a hospital 30 miles away because it's closer to your wife who just got out of jail and bypass 6 hospitals in the process for a BS complaint. If you have an actual reason for not wanting to go to a certain hospital then cool, no issue.
In my area, the bottom 65% of the seniority list has jobs basically due to "BS calls".... BS does not bother me.

If things were truly efficient, we might just find ourselves out of a job.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
In my area, the bottom 65% of the seniority list has jobs basically due to "BS calls".... BS does not bother me.

If things were truly efficient, we might just find ourselves out of a job.
I'm fine with some BS calls but there are other BS calls that get on my nerves. It may not be as bad now for me since I don't have to deal with bed delays anymore.

Having a patient on your gurney with a total BS complaint for 4 hours holding the wall of the ED is enough to make anyone crazy.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Holding the wall for four hours is downright crazy, regardless of the patient.

Angel

Paramedic
No...BS calls do not save jobs because insurance companies will not pay for them. Not that they pay a whole lot in the first place but no money is made from someone going to the ER when there is no medical necessity.

@DesertEMT66 kudos to that doc.

emschick1985

Medic
Well just snatched another one from the jaws of death.
Wait for it...... Diarrhea at 2 am he's had since yesterday. Vitals were good. I doubt insurance will pay this

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
No...BS calls do not save jobs because insurance companies will not pay for them. Not that they pay a whole lot in the first place but no money is made from someone going to the ER when there is no medical necessity.

@DesertEMT66 kudos to that doc.
I am speaking more to call volume... If we didn't run so many non-acute calls, we could probably cover the county with 15 cars instead of 45.

We do not run IFT; 911 only.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
1) Having to transport everyone who wants to go, even when a taxi or wheelchair van would be more appropriate.
2) As others have said, the paperwork.
3) The low standards and expectations for providers that are perpetuated by poor educational requirements.

okiemedic

BLS Healthcare Provider Instructor
I dislike trying to find the cleanest most appropriate bathroom when posted in between calls

Everyone has that one go to clean bathroom don't lie

I had designated places near post locations when I worked in Dallas fort worth.... it kind of helped that my house was across the street from our station. But, we were never allowed to post at the station...

Quick trip, and racetrac were the only gas stations I would use the bathrooms. lol....

FltMedicRob

Forum Crew Member
Maybe my glasses are bit rose colored. I actually like helping the new kids learn to be better. I don't really mind BS calls, but we are only 15-20 minutes out from the hospitals.

The only thing that really gets me is the out of town transfer that hits 45 minutes before the end of a 24hr shift.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I dislike having only the emergency room as a transport destination. I would like to have the authority to refer to urgent care or their PMD, whether or not I transport them there or leave them onscene. The ER is like bringing a cannon to a knife fight for most of these patients.

Like others have said, I'd like the authority to choose the closest appropriate facility for transport. The patient would need a really good reason why they can't go there, such as a family member dying there, or something like that. That would curtail the drug seeker calls - they wear out their welcome at one facility, then request txp across town where the staff doesn't know them.