This post is for employees that work for the big HEMS Providers

CIRUS454

Forum Crew Member
A friend of mine worked for the biggest U.S. HEMS provider back in 2006 as a Per Diem Flight Paramedic. Things didn't work out and after 2 mon he was asked to resign.

Well he just recently re-applied to the company and was chosen to move through the process and was even about to take the proctored CC Exam online but it abruptly came to an end today when he got the dreadful email of "we are moving on with other canditates" It's obvious it came to light about his past employment.

Well he did an employment verification on himself and found out that they have him down as being FIRED and not RESIGNED. And they have him down as being Full Time when he was only Per Diem. This is obviously why he got the email, especially when he was just about to take the Critical Care Exam that they set up for him to take online.

What can he do about this? It's been 12 years and someone in HR has made a huge mistake and put the wrong reason down in regards to the reason for separation. Can this be changed? Can he speak to someone in the company about getting this fixed. This can severely hurt him with other companies. Any and all answers are greatly appreciated.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
He can always call HR and ask them to fix their inaccuracies, especially if you have documentation to support you... All it takes is s a phone call

As a general rule, if I'm asked to resign from some place, I never go back. It's the same as getting fired, but you don't get unemployment. You can still end up on their do not rehire list.

OP
OP
C

CIRUS454

Forum Crew Member
As a general rule, if I'm asked to resign from some place, I never go back. It's the same as getting fired, but you don't get unemployment. You can still end up on their do not rehire list.

So the big Flight Companies actually have a do not re-hire list?

DrParasite

Many companies have "do not rehire" records, not just flight companies. It's usually a check box on the separation documentation, separate from whether it was a voluntary or involuntary separation from the company.

if completely subjective and often at the managers or HR discretion as to if you're eligible for rehire or not.

One of my former co-workers resigned from his hospital-based 911 EMS job to go to law school. Even though he resigned voluntarily, he pissed off so many managers while he was there with his poor attitude, they put his separation as 'do not rehire," despite a voluntary resignation to go to law school.

OP
OP
C

CIRUS454

Forum Crew Member
So he should just call and ask to speak to someone in HR that handles Employee Records/Employee Status/ Etc..... and just see what they say?

DrParasite

If I was him, that's what i would do. It's his personnel file, he has the right to review it.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
The better question is why would he even want to go back to a place like that? No thanks.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The better question is why would he even want to go back to a place like that? No thanks.
Considered that was back in 2006 I would imagine a lot of things have changed since then.

There are also a lot of things that don’t make sense with the story

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I am not sure that his prior employment is "obviously" the reason he received a rejection letter. Unfortunately when dealing with large companies with multiple open positions some people are kept going in the application process even though the job they are applying for may no longer be available. I've had acquaintances contact me saying they are testing for a certain position that I know has already been offered to someone or is being held for an internal transfer.

Best bet is to contact HR and inquire. I know we have had employees whom have left for various reasons and been rehired later on.

Even if there is no official "Do not rehire" most HEMS positions are highly competitive so any red flag is an easy pass when there are multiple qualified applicants.

And it is somewhat of semantics. Being asked to resign is usually a prelude to the person being fired. It is still termination originating from the employer, not the employee.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Considered that was back in 2006 I would imagine a lot of things have changed since then.

There are also a lot of things that don’t make sense with the story

Sure, and I agree. I would be curious as to “what wasn’t working out”. I would imagine at only 2 months in at most HEMS companies you’re likely still on orientation. So was he just not cutting the mustard, or was it something else?