The "WHAT-IFs" are stressing me out!

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
So EMT-B class is about to start in a week and I am freaking out. Part of it because I don't know what to expect and the other part is the "what-ifs" what if I fail, what if I can't do something, what if I don't remember, what if I fudge something up, this list goes on and on. This is not only a career but one that involves peoples lives. I guess I am putting too much pressure on myself to be perfect and trying to learn everything. Just kind of venting and seeing if anyone else has gone through the same thing.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
LOL Lori,

I had nightmares the week leading up to class that they'd send me home and tell me not to come back. You're not alone.

tatersalad

Forum Crew Member
Mine starts tonight, I know what you mean!

Sasha

Forum Chief
So EMT-B class is about to start in a week and I am freaking out. Part of it because I don't know what to expect and the other part is the "what-ifs" what if I fail, what if I can't do something, what if I don't remember, what if I fudge something up, this list goes on and on. This is not only a career but one that involves peoples lives. I guess I am putting too much pressure on myself to be perfect and trying to learn everything. Just kind of venting and seeing if anyone else has gone through the same thing.

Here's your answer to all the what ifs:
Deep breathe, try again!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief

Okay, so first of all take a deeeeeeep breath.

Second.....
There are things your not going to be able to do - at first.
You will forget things - at first.
You will definantly fudge something up - hopefully only once.

Everyone goes through it. Just wait until you pass and get your first job and then wreck your first ambulance! :p

Just remember, everybody had to start somewhere. And nobody starts at the top.... or even in the middle. Its why its called the beginning.... a start.

Relax. Get some rest. Do what ever makes you feel better when your stressed. Then get ready for the real fun to begin.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I start on the 12th, but I went did my CPR certs and HOBET esque test there so I got familiar with the facility and was able to see how the classes worked, and was able to talk to an instructor. So far it's an awesome college and the owner of the school is very nice and puts a lot of care into the students. So that's made it easier for me.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I was so nervous toward the end of class that I used to have to pull my car over on the way to class to throw up. You're not alone. I'm sure you'll do fine if you put the time and effort into it.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
If you're taking it seriously, you're in it for the right reasons, and you're not a complete moron - you'll do totally fine. It appears that you meet all of these conditions.

As my EMS mentor once told me a long time ago, "you can teach a drunk monkey with a head injury how to be an EMT."

That whole being a good EMT thing, though, is up to you. But having determination, a strong desire to provide excellent patient care, and a willingness to learn are the starting points you'll need to do that. So don't sweat it.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I am taking this very seriously and that is probably why I am stressing out so much. This is one of my career choices and could possibly do this for the rest of my life. Anyways I went to get my books today and all I can say is holy crap! Good thing I am able to study at work or I would be screwed. I have an orientation meeting on Saturday the 10th so hopefully that will calm my nerves a bit, or increase them! On another note I am so glad I found this forum and that I have you guys to turn to thanks again!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
The best advice I've ever received regarding higher education of any variety is to always stay at least one chapter ahead of the class in your reading. It sounds so simple but you'll feel like a genius. Don't wait for the class to start - you can start reading now.

tatersalad

Forum Crew Member
had the first class last night. Lots of intro type stuff, policies, etc. It does feel really good finally starting. Lots of reading here I come.

Good Luck!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hey guys thanks for all the responses. I am taking this very seriously and that is probably why I am stressing out so much. This is one of my career choices and could possibly do this for the rest of my life. Anyways I went to get my books today and all I can say is holy crap! Good thing I am able to study at work or I would be screwed. I have an orientation meeting on Saturday the 10th so hopefully that will calm my nerves a bit, or increase them! On another note I am so glad I found this forum and that I have you guys to turn to thanks again!

Bahaha! Aren't the books huge? :p Wait til you get to medic!

We called our medic book the defibrillator book. If you have a cardiac arrest and can't get your defibrillator to work, slam it down by their head and the sound from the massive book hitting the table would scare them awake :p

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
We called our medic book the defibrillator book. If you have a cardiac arrest and can't get your defibrillator to work, slam it down by their head and the sound from the massive book hitting the table would scare them awake :p

I suppose the important thing is to confirm v-fib? I don't suppose they were even decent enough to give you some kind of cart to help move the thing to and from class?

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
So I had my orientation today, all I can say is holy freaking crap what have I gotten myself into. I am hoping they were just trying to scare out the people that were not serious about the program. They said 50% of us won't pass. The program is really tough and that some people with master degrees weren't even able to pass the program. They seem pretty strict and know what they want from their students so that is good. The program I am going through it Crafton Hills College EMT-B in Yucaipa, CA. If you are late even 1 minute that is a tardy and you can only have 3 and only 2 absences. If you exceed those you will be dropped. You have to get an 80% on each quiz and test or you will be dropped even if you got a 79.9%. They went on and on how tough the program was but how they had one of the highest success rates for students passing the NREMT. My teacher specifically had a 90% pass rate for the NREMT for last semester. So yea I am a bit scared but I am glad this will be tough and hopefully I learn a lot. I mean when you seriously think about I could have patients lives in my hands and they deserve the best.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
So I had my orientation today, all I can say is holy freaking crap what have I gotten myself into. I am hoping they were just trying to scare out the people that were not serious about the program. They said 50% of us won't pass. The program is really tough and that some people with master degrees weren't even able to pass the program. They seem pretty strict and know what they want from their students so that is good. The program I am going through it Crafton Hills College EMT-B in Yucaipa, CA. If you are late even 1 minute that is a tardy and you can only have 3 and only 2 absences. If you exceed those you will be dropped. You have to get an 80% on each quiz and test or you will be dropped even if you got a 79.9%. They went on and on how tough the program was but how they had one of the highest success rates for students passing the NREMT. My teacher specifically had a 90% pass rate for the NREMT for last semester. So yea I am a bit scared but I am glad this will be tough and hopefully I learn a lot. I mean when you seriously think about I could have patients lives in my hands and they deserve the best.

Yeah my class was difficult, I was wondering how I would know so much at the end. We had to do a 50 4x6 card, of specific ailments and put definition, signs and symptoms and treatment for a test towards the end. Then we had the final one guy made a 74 and failed, need a 75 to pass the final here.

OP
OP
EMTCop86

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Yeah my class was difficult, I was wondering how I would know so much at the end. We had to do a 50 4x6 card, of specific ailments and put definition, signs and symptoms and treatment for a test towards the end. Then we had the final one guy made a 74 and failed, need a 75 to pass the final here.

Yeah it just seems so over whelming. I know they say EMT-B's need more education but when you are just starting out it seems like there is already too much information to comprehend. I guess it is a matter of just taking it one step at a time. Did the flash cards help you out? I was thinking about doing that also.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Put the "what ifs" beside. There is a "what if" in every situation in life. Like what if I go step outside and get struck by lightning and die instantly? Don't let them overcome you and stop what you truly want to do. You seem very serious, and if you put your heart to it with your fullest effort those "what ifs" will never come true.

The class is very daunting, especially in the beginning, but if you keep up with the work and ask questions you will not have to worry. In reality anyone can become an EMT and pass the class. On the other hand, those who pass make sure they understand the material and if they don't fully understand it, they dedicate themselves to figuring out how to understand the material. Read the book before lectures so you can ask questions during the lecture, volunteer as much as possible in labs, and ask questions in clinicals.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Laur68EMT

Forum Crew Member
So I had my orientation today, all I can say is holy freaking crap what have I gotten myself into. I am hoping they were just trying to scare out the people that were not serious about the program.

Personally, I think that's an excellent way to start the course off. I wish more instructors did the same. If their approach is successful in weeding out even one half-hearted person, it's worth it. I look back at some folks in my class, all very nice people certainly, but some I had to question why they wanted to be an EMT at all. Aside from one girl, there was no requirement from work or the FD to be one. Some of those people barely squeaked by because they didn't care enough to put in the time and effort - yet they are certified the same as me. I have a mental note of some towns I don't want to get sick or hurt in. :)

Anyway, I like your candor and your honesty. It shows you're not too proud. I think you're going to not only do well in your class but really enjoy your journey!

Last edited by a moderator:

jochi1543

Forum Captain

Yeah, they go out of their way to scare you, but some people of rather questionable intelligence are still in my class after failing exams over and over. I don't know why schools do that, I guess they figure an incompetent medic is better than no medic. *shrug*

smvde

Forum Crew Member
Perhaps the best thing to do is follow these following rules.

Read all materials prior to class at least twice.

Listen 90 percent more than you talk.

Save the war stories for after class.

Keep your ears and mind open, mouth shut.

Use common sense.

Pay attention.

It works, trust me.