The upcoming election/issues

How do you plan on voting in the coming election?

• Democratic (Obama/Biden)

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Republican (McCain/Palin)

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Green/Libertarian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey All--

Without getting too political, I am curious how the members of this forum plan on voting in the coming presidental election.
How many people are registered to vote?
How many poeple plan on voting?
How do specific issues impact your choice?
How do the particular candidate's track records effect your choice?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I wished there was a "none of the above". Surely out of 301,139,947 people we could had found some better and more qualified people.

I have to go with my gut instincts and studying of the candidates. If it sounds too good, then it is and be aware of wolves in sheep clothing.

R/r 911

abriggs

Forum Crew Member
I am registered, I intend to vote, everyone votes based on their issue of choice (mine is national security), I already knew who I was voting for a while ago.

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
I'm registered and I'll be doing early voting again this year. I'm honestly not very impressed by either candidate (my candidate didn't make it), but we'll end up with a Dem or Rep in the White House at the end of the day. Fiscal policies, moral issues, etc. play into my decision.

I feel like my state and local votes have more impact, so I put more time and effort into finding out info on those candidates.

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
I tend to fallow the old adage to vote for the lesser of the evils, though I feel we really don’t have good choices for this election this year. We could have done better.

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
same as the last election.......which is going to be the lesser of the two evils?

Hal9000

Forum Captain
It's a tie, with America losing.

Hey All--

Without getting too political, I am curious how the members of this forum plan on voting in the coming presidental election.
How many people are registered to vote?
How many poeple plan on voting?
How do specific issues impact your choice?
How do the particular candidate's track records effect your choice?

I agree with Rid.

I am registered and plan on voting.

I am conservative leaning libertarian and don't care for McCain or Obama, who both say more stupid crap than I do on my worst day. Tired of McCainiacs and Obamania.

Specific issues:
Economic crisis...thumbs down for both. Obama and his moratorium gets a double thumbs down. (No, I don't want the government breaking contracts or redistributing wealth as much as he wants too. I'm below the poverty line, and I don't want YOUR money fixing that. I'm glad that you're successful.) McCain and his passing of pork also gets a double thumbs down.

I could go on for pages about why both of them are lame. But it's pointless.

I see McCain as slightly less undesirable, but, for better or worse, I don't think he's getting my vote, and I'm sending in my ballot here soon. It'll be a write in. I'll have to pick someone who fits my principles. If everyone did that, instead of a "lesser of two evils," I don't think we'd have so much "evil." That won't happen, but at least I'll do the right thing.

Neither for me, thanks.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm also one who doesn't believe that voting for the candidate that best reflects my personal beliefs as 'throwing it away' if they are a third party candidate. I can't remember which movie it was, but wasn't there something about a spot on the ballot for 'none of the above'.

I think the campaign 'handlers' have gotten so good at making their candidate seem innocuous that there is precious little difference between them any more. I know that Ms Palin scares me because I've known too many alaskan women to feel comfortable pairing her with an elderly guy with heart issues. But then I'm not particularly enamored of Obama either. I hate voting for the lesser of two evils. I'd move to Canada but they just re-elected Steven Harper and I just can't go there now!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
By walking into the polling place.

We have for many years had presidents who would have made outstanding cabinet members.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Um BossyCow, what were you implying...

...about "pairing" an older man with an Alaskan woman?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
who's running?<_<

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

Hastings

Noobie
Well, as a young man (21), I voted for the candidate that shows a sincere desire to reward those who are struggling, but willing to work hard. I support the candidate that shares my views on education, health care, the economy, and supreme court decisions such as R v W. I believe my candidate is honest, genuinely cares about the middle class (which I imagine we're all a part of), and is willing to help those that help themselves.

When it comes down to it, my candidate is a breath of fresh air in politics. There are no typical political lies to get in office, no false promises. My candidate asks for sacrifice and states that we're in a tough place and it's going to take a lot of work to get out of that place. But if we're willing to work together, we can succeed. And that message really works for me. My candidate doesn't have unrealistic expectations.

Again, I'm willing to work hard, and I support the man that is willing to reward that hard work.

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
I already voted, via absentee. I'm at school and wont make the trip home just to pull the handle.

For me, both of my candidates lost in the primaries. I was hoping for a Bill Richardson vs. Ron Paul. Now that would be the presidential race of the ages. An experienced governor, congressman, secretary of energy, and ambassador against a long time congressman and disciple of the Barry Goldwater Constitutionalist movement.

I would have a hard time choosing, and I think either way that election came out our country would see real change.

Instead we have an inexperience senator throwing the word change around a lot and not really backing it up, against an experienced senator who talks about change, but I'm sure it's not change I want.

What issues matter to me? I want to see clean energy, and a president who promises to uphold all of the constitution, especially separation of church and state and due process.

I was excited for the primaries, but for the election next month, I'm more in a whatever kind of mood now. I'm all for strict constitutionalism but registered democrat :wacko:. I'd probably be a Libertarian if their movement was more about the constitution. It bothers me that many "conservatives" have never heard of Barry Goldwater, or read the "Conscience of a Conservative." It really makes me sad.

JPINFV

Gadfly
What issues matter to me? I want to see clean energy, and a president who promises to uphold all of the constitution, especially separation of church and state and due process.

I'm curious, because this has been something about American politics that has bugged me for a while, but where in the constitution does it give the US Federal Government the ability to control internal energy policy, especially the president? There comes a point where the welfare clause (which is tied to taxes and spending) and interstate commerce clause, both of which are tied to the legislature anyways, are stretched too far. This is especially true since the president cannot originate bills in the legislature. Similarly, following a strict constructionist view, the power of the president over such things as education, is relatively limited.

Unfortunately, the general public tends to ignore the races that truly matter (if you care about education, can you name your local school board members?), and generally don't question the federal government enough to keep it in check (US v Lopez is a good example of an understandable law being struck down as unconstitutional for the simple reason that the federal government lacks the ability to regulate that activity).

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
Clean Energy is though to explain.

I really can't back up why I feel that is fair game even for strict constitutionalists, but that's how I feel.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Unfortunately, the general public tends to ignore the races that truly matter (if you care about education, can you name your local school board members?), and generally don't question the federal government enough to keep it in check (US v Lopez is a good example of an understandable law being struck down as unconstitutional for the simple reason that the federal government lacks the ability to regulate that activity).

Well put! The politicos that end up in D.C start out as local candidates. I've voted in every election since I turned 18. I not only can name my school board members but have actually attended the meetings.

I think one of the biggest roles that even a one term president can play is the appointment of supreme court judges. But who knows anything about the candidates to the lower court judgeships?

JPINFV

Gadfly
and a third party vote outside of Maine and Nebraska (these two state appoint electors via congressional district instead of an all-or-none system) is a wasted vote since no third party this election will come close to carrying a state. I'd rather vote for what I view as the lesser of the two evils that have a chance than vote for someone who has no chance.