The real story behind the 12 week medic McCook NE

OP
OP
CMCSNRP

CMCSNRP

Forum Probie
Psychology, Biology, A&P 1&2, English Comp 1&2, Algebra, EMT, etc. were taken before the Medic program. The curriculum consisted of Intro to Paramedicine, Paramedic Pharmacology, Airway Management, Patient Assessment, Shock Resuscitation/Trauma, Medical Emergencies 1, Medical Emergencies 2, Cardiology, Special Considerations , Operations/Putting it all together, and my clinical/field practicum. I have a total of 56 credit hours, 36 from the program including AMLS, PHTLS, ACLS, PALS upon completion. That being said, I posted the thread not because I wanted to tell people how to circumvent the system but because I am satisfied with the education that I received from my paramedic program. I can certainly tell you all that the training was rigorous and there was no BARE MINIMUM anything. That being said, my Registry number starts with a P and I have been successful in this field thus far. On the subject of "protocol monkeys" I would remind everyone who practices ALS interventions that you are working under a physician's medical license. That doesn't mean don't think for yourself, but protocols are guidelines to follow. I suppose I am an anomaly because I believe in camaraderie which is sorely lacking in our profession. There is a name for people with egos bigger than their scope of practice, Paragod.

OP
OP
CMCSNRP

CMCSNRP

Forum Probie
In addition I can tell you that I sunk a lot more than 12 weeks in to finishing paramedic. That was classroom. I easily doubled the amount of required contact hours also because of what was required in patient contacts.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
that mindset it why EMS is a trade and not a career.

Trades are a career. I know of countless plumbers, carpenters, electricians, mechanics, and welders who are tradespeople who have made a lifelong career of their trade. Maybe another word might be used to describe EMS in the USA.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Trades are a career. I know of countless plumbers, carpenters, electricians, mechanics, and welders who are tradespeople who have made a lifelong career of their trade. Maybe another word might be used to describe EMS in the USA.

I agree, EMS is certainly a career. It is not a profession, however.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Disagree. Paramedicine, as it's structured now, is nothing more than a trade. It's vocational education. That is: "The 1990 Perkins Act defines vocational education as "organized educational programs offering a sequence of courses which are directly related to the preparation of individuals in paid or unpaid employment in current or emerging occupations requiring other than a baccalaureate or advanced degree."

Sounds like a paramedic program, doesn't it?

There is nothing wrong with being a skilled tradesman. Just ask any welder, electrician or steam fitter.

If you want to move into a professional healthcare position, get a real education and move out of paramedicine. :)

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Psychology, Biology, A&P 1&2, English Comp 1&2, Algebra, EMT, etc. were taken before the Medic program. The curriculum consisted of Intro to Paramedicine, Paramedic Pharmacology, Airway Management, Patient Assessment, Shock Resuscitation/Trauma, Medical Emergencies 1, Medical Emergencies 2, Cardiology, Special Considerations , Operations/Putting it all together, and my clinical/field practicum. I have a total of 56 credit hours, 36 from the program including AMLS, PHTLS, ACLS, PALS upon completion. That being said, I posted the thread not because I wanted to tell people how to circumvent the system but because I am satisfied with the education that I received from my paramedic program. I can certainly tell you all that the training was rigorous and there was no BARE MINIMUM anything. That being said, my Registry number starts with a P and I have been successful in this field thus far. On the subject of "protocol monkeys" I would remind everyone who practices ALS interventions that you are working under a physician's medical license. That doesn't mean don't think for yourself, but protocols are guidelines to follow.

I'm curious how this program taught or developed affective domain. You've told us how they shove didactic information down your throat, tell how you were encouraged to develop as a provider, utilize team leadership skills and how they encouraged personal growth.

MrJones

Iconoclast
...On the subject of "protocol monkeys" I would remind everyone who practices ALS interventions that you are working under a physician's medical license.

You may be working under a physician's medical license, but I'm not. I'm working under my own license with oversight and supervision by a physician/medical director. I can guarantee you that, should I make a critical error, it's my license that's at risk, not his.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You may be working under a physician's medical license, but I'm not. I'm working under my own license with oversight and supervision by a physician/medical director. I can guarantee you that, should I make a critical error, it's my license that's at risk, not his.

This. They provide oversight, but I'm the one risking my license if I do something stupid. The MD just has to go "well I made sure they were appropriately trained and knowledgeable, and I have signed off that they know what they're doing, so it's their deal"

OP
OP
CMCSNRP

CMCSNRP

Forum Probie
As an experienced EMS provider I went to school with other experienced providers. We did half a day of classroom and half a day of lab every day. I understand where the hostility comes from with accelerated/hybrid programs because I recently saw a thread about an online paramedic program. I am also concerned about the direction that education is taking however.. Programs such as the one that I attended are not intended for the 19 year old EMT who's ink has not had the chance to dry. I am fast approaching a decade in this field and where I lived previously Paramedics were few and far between. As a result of that medic programs locally had a lengthy waiting list. EMS professionals such as myself with experience in the field military/civilian alike are sometimes attracted to the option of streamlining their education. On the subject of team leadership, it was a small class so everyone practiced scenarios as team leader on a daily basis. On the subject of personal growth, obviously you have never been put in that situation so it would be hard to comprehend. But I can tell you the experience fundamentally changes you. Ask any recon marine, you would be downright astonished how much information you can absorb in a twelve week time period.

OP
OP
CMCSNRP

CMCSNRP

Forum Probie
And I agree, if I screw up it's MY license. Not theirs, and not yours so don't sweat it ;)

MrJones

Iconoclast
And I agree, if I screw up it's MY license. Not theirs, and not yours so don't sweat it ;)

I don't sweat over whether or not you lose your license. I do sweat over perpetuation of the fallacy that we operate under any license other than our own. ;)

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
As an experienced EMS provider I went to school with other experienced providers. We did half a day of classroom and half a day of lab every day. I understand where the hostility comes from with accelerated/hybrid programs

The debate happens on every thread like this, so it is quite pointless.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone is different and not everyone has the same opportunities to attend the perfect program under the perfect situation.

I may have to consider non-traditional routes for future medic school as well since we may be somewhat "mobile" for the next couple years and I may not have the same chances as others to invest 18-24 months in a single geography to get my certification. As it is, I'm staying in St. Louis to finish my EMT while my wife heads off to MI to start her new job. I'd rather not be apart, but I'm not going to break off on my education with such a short time to go.

I'm certainly keeping my options open on the medic track and hopeful for something to work out to further my education.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
The debate happens on every thread like this, so it is quite pointless.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone is different and not everyone has the same opportunities to attend the perfect program under the perfect situation.

Agreed! If it wasn't for an "online/hybrid" program, I would not have accomplished what I have at this point. 6 years as an EMT-B and I just could not find a school/work situation that was feasible. I went overseas for a year to work, and got my AEMT through the percom program. I was sitting in an ER in Iraq for 6 x 12 hour shifts a week and had plenty of time to study, read, practice (with a physician standing right there next to me) and learn. It was great and allowed me to do something that I was struggling with otherwise.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I do sweat over perpetuation of the fallacy that we operate under any license other than our own. ;)

How do you reconcile that idea with the reality that in most states a paramedic cannot legally perform any skill or administer any drug without the authorization of a physician?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
There is nothing wrong with being a skilled tradesman. Just ask any welder, electrician or steam fitter.

Except from what I have read those other trades make more money than a paramedic.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoonDoc

Forum Crew Member
Agreed! If it wasn't for an "online/hybrid" program, I would not have accomplished what I have at this point. 6 years as an EMT-B and I just could not find a school/work situation that was feasible. I went overseas for a year to work, and got my AEMT through the percom program. I was sitting in an ER in Iraq for 6 x 12 hour shifts a week and had plenty of time to study, read, practice (with a physician standing right there next to me) and learn. It was great and allowed me to do something that I was struggling with otherwise.

This is a fantastic reason for the blended learning option. Few people can take a year off from work to earn their paramedic.

The PERCOM seems to be the golden standard for training. It is not a "16 week short course" but fully a thorough programme.

I read on here somewhere that it took two years for someone to get through paramedic.

MrJones

Iconoclast
How do you reconcile that idea with the reality that in most states a paramedic cannot legally perform any skill or administer any drug without the authorization of a physician?

Neither can a RN. Does that mean that a nurse operates under a physician's license? Or does it mean they operate under the oversight of a physician?

I know that, to some, my point is a small one of semantics. To me, though, the perpetuation of the fallacy that we operate "under a physician's license" is yet another of the many reasons that we struggle to be taken seriously as medical professionals. Especially when we're the ones doing the perpetuating.