The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

URI

Forum Crew Member
Hey TampaSteve.
Welcome to the forum. I'm originally from the Tampa Bay Area myself. (Tarpon Springs)

anyway, you already made a great decision joining the forum. This career path consists of an everlasting pursuit of education, experience, and the occasional call that will terrify you. However, I'm sure most will agree it is an extremely rewarding one.
(pride not $, lol)

EMTbasicGirl

Forum Probie
introduction

Hi, I'm Lisa. I am a brand new North Carolina EMT basic. Ive always been interested in helping others and making a difference. I am in the process of finding a job now. So far I'm not having any luck.

Tampasteve

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I'm Lisa. I am a brand new North Carolina EMT basic. Ive always been interested in helping others and making a difference. I am in the process of finding a job now. So far I'm not having any luck.

Good luck on the search and welcome! I love NC, it is a great state.:)

LenaLena26

Forum Probie
Hi all,

I'm Lena. 23yr old EMT-B from the Chicago suburbs. I got certified in NY and completed reciprocity and I'm clear to work in Illinois. I just got hired by a private so I'm excited to get started on my EMS career... :)

curryb15

Forum Crew Member
Name is Brian from Long Island ny. I've been a Emt/firefighter for 6 yrs. I volly and work at 2 desperate depts in Suffolk county. I'm currently in the hiring process for fdny EMS

ally926

Forum Ride Along
Introduction

Hi everybody,

My name is Alison, and I am a 21 year old Advanced EMT. I've been volunteering for two years through my university, both as an EMT and as a Supervisor, and I have enjoyed every minute of it. Now, I am looking for a job in the health care field and trying to obtain EMT-I reciprocity in Texas. :)

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Hi everybody,

My name is Alison, and I am a 21 year old Advanced EMT. I've been volunteering for two years through my university, both as an EMT and as a Supervisor, and I have enjoyed every minute of it. Now, I am looking for a job in the health care field and trying to obtain EMT-I reciprocity in Texas. :)

Welcome. What state are you in right now?

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I guess I never did really introduce myself. Friends and family call me KC.

I'm a full time student pursuing a B.S. in Athletic Training in Texas. I received my NREMT-B and state licensure in Fall 2013 and worked for a private ambulance company in the Spring. Just recently quit that job for a much-anticipated position as an ER Tech in one the busiest EDs in Austin. I am taking courses in addition to my AT courses in order to prepare for the MCAT and medical school, as that is my highest goal at this point, and would be applying as a rather non-traditional student.

Would love to go to medic school, but unfortunately it is just not my "plan", unless all else fails. I do hope to get my EMT-IV at some point, however. Or perhaps just AEMT if time allows.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Welcome, Grimes! There are a few of us here that have earned that Athletic Training Bachelors...

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Welcome, Grimes! There are a few of us here that have earned that Athletic Training Bachelors...

Yeah, I've noticed some. I've met a medic in person as well who used his BS in AT to get his LP. They really are relatable fields, often the focus being on acute care and being resourceful. My favorite part about AT is the acute care aspect, specifically with adolescents. Figured I would get my EMT to supplement that aspect. Realized I LOVED the world of emergency medicine. Very, very interesting and always evolving.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Yeah, I've noticed some. I've met a medic in person as well who used his BS in AT to get his LP. They really are relatable fields, often the focus being on acute care and being resourceful. My favorite part about AT is the acute care aspect, specifically with adolescents. Figured I would get my EMT to supplement that aspect. Realized I LOVED the world of emergency medicine. Very, very interesting and always evolving.
Actually, Paramedic would be better if you were able to wear both hats at the same time and therefore be able fully utilize both scopes of practice. Unfortunately I found that Athletic Training wouldn't pay the bills and EMS sucked me right in... now I'm about to graduate RN school. :huh: Whoda thunk?

Anyway, welcome!

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Actually, Paramedic would be better if you were able to wear both hats at the same time and therefore be able fully utilize both scopes of practice. Unfortunately I found that Athletic Training wouldn't pay the bills and EMS sucked me right in... now I'm about to graduate RN school. :huh: Whoda thunk?

Anyway, welcome!

I know what you mean. AT salaries are low just about everywhere, but in Texas the average is a bit higher, especially in high school. A first time job in a high school will yield 40-50k, and that only goes up as your experience and network increases.

Being in the hospital has kind of sparked the RN topic, so I was going to look at it a little bit today and compare the pre-reqs to my current degree.

I'm curious, do you utilize AT-specific skills while working as a Medic? What has your MD said you can do?

Blue13

Forum Ride Along
Alison - you're probing going to be better off just going for your Medic here in Tx. I don't think the EMT-i is very recognized. . But someone else may know more about that than I. I've been with a private ambulance Co for about 1.5 years, mainly because it's so close to home.
I'm in Dallas, looking forward to eventually moving to Austin, of anyone has any good advice for an active adventurous and happily married 37 y/o m.

0theories

Forum Probie
I like to parenthesize...

Hi all, I've been lurking here for a little bit and its time for an intro. I'm in school for EMT-B cert. in Oregon. Got about a month to go before I take the tests. I've done many things in my life. Most recently I was a Forest Ecologist with the Forest Service. My job was mostly hiking and camping. I traveled around the world a few times (often via motorcycle) and decided it's time for a career change (again). My plan is to become a remote, international paramedic. Until then (it's a five year plan) I intent to work my way up from student to volunteer, to hopefully paid, to hopefully paid a bit more. I know, "good luck", right? I guess I'll probably start posting all kinds of (mostly stupid) questions in the NREMT section now... or maybe just jump on here every now and again to get/stay motivated. Lots of great info!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hi all, I've been lurking here for a little bit and its time for an intro. I'm in school for EMT-B cert. in Oregon. Got about a month to go before I take the tests. I've done many things in my life. Most recently I was a Forest Ecologist with the Forest Service. My job was mostly hiking and camping. I traveled around the world a few times (often via motorcycle) and decided it's time for a career change (again). My plan is to become a remote, international paramedic. Until then (it's a five year plan) I intent to work my way up from student to volunteer, to hopefully paid, to hopefully paid a bit more. I know, "good luck", right? I guess I'll probably start posting all kinds of (mostly stupid) questions in the NREMT section now... or maybe just jump on here every now and again to get/stay motivated. Lots of great info!

Welcome. A few of us here are remote medics in varying countries. I am sure we can help with any questions you may have .

gronch

Forum Probie
Forgot to introduce myself

Went to First Responder then EMT-B in San Diego while working my full time job (Information Technology, Corporate America). I did it for fun and personal development, but now I am a few decisions away from signing up for Paramedic school.

I have spent a fair amount of time reading posts, wondering if I have what it takes, and discussing with my wife the prospect of leaving the desk job.

My world is filled with uncertainty, and for once it feels good.

mttbdtd

Forum Probie
Fng

Hi all,

EMT-B on a volunteer fire department. Got EMT-B Sept of 2013. Going to start ride alongs with a ALS company to up my patient care skills. Hoping to go to medic school in the fall and get a job on an ALS ambulance.

Skagirl

Forum Ride Along
Hey Everyone--I just passed my practical skills for my EMT-B, although, where I'm at, it's now known as simply EMT. I've been a volunteer on a small town service since 2012. We don't transport patients anymore-mainly just arrive on scene and do what we can for the patient(s) until the assisting ambulance company arrives.