The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

Bishop

Forum Probie
Husband to wonderful woman and father of 3 boys. I spend as much time as I can outdoors exploring. (Backpacking, kayaking, cycling.) I'm working on getting EMT certified more for self education that a career switch. (Although I do look forward to doing some volunteer work.)
My purpose for joining is to meet people who share a similar passion and for further education.

tawnymarie

Forum Probie
Been lurking a while but now that I just finished up EMT school and getting ready to take the NREMT this week. I guess it may be time to introduce myself. I'm Mike; born, raised and lived in the Dallas, TX area all my life except for the four years Uncle Sam sent me to Washington State. I kick myself sometimes for moving home and I can't wait to get back out...

I'm second generation EMS. My dad was an EMT then Medic for large 911 system in East Texas, as well as a volunteer FF, for several years before he passed away in the late 90s.

Hoping to start medic school soon, though my ultimate goal is medical school. Already 30 so I'd be a pretty old med student so we'll see if things end up going that far.

Hello Everyone,
I am in the SF Bay Area. I'm doing my EMT through a distance program in the LA area. I'll be doing clinical rotations in the later part of the year. I intend to enroll in the Paramedic Program at Sacramento State next fall and then eventually continue on into medical school at Touro University. I am a nursing assistant otherwise and an office administrator for a small consulting firm. I would love to connect with others in the area whether it's for moral support lol or study meetups :)

adamNYC

Forum Lieutenant
Just found this thread. Been a CNA last 4 years. 1st year doing med/surg at Pittsburgh and the last 3 working a Rehab/SNF in Brooklyn ambulating elderly folks all day. Boring as hell. This motivated to seek out more exciting work, such as EMS. Should be done with EMT class in November. Looking to do IFT & Volunteer until I find a hospital job or until FDNY summons me. Then Medic or RN after that. I love this forum. Lots of great information!

Aidan McArthur

Forum Probie
I don't really have a cool story to share or an interesting background like the rest of you guys/girls :(

20 years old, almost 21. Graduated from high school two years ago. Live in a suburb right outside Los Angeles. Going through EMT training for the second time. I dropped out the first time due to... personal reasons. But I was on track to pass the class the first time. So this second time going through the class is pretty easy. Well not easy, but it's mostly review for me.

I decided to pursue the emergency medical field after getting "NOLS Wilderness First Aid" certified through a two day class at REI. It sparked my interest in emergency medicine but made me realise how very little I really learned from the two day course.

After getting EMT certified, I plan on working in a private ambulence company for a year, with maybe some ER Tech experience, and then join the military with a 68W contract. In the army, I hope to eventually become a combat medic. Maybe SOCM, maybe a flight medic/Night Stalkers... it's all a long ways away, but I know that I want to serve as a medic of some sort.

After the military, who knows. Maybe become an ER nurse, maybe something completely different like journalism or computer programming. Or SWAT medic, FBI medic, something like that.

I look forward to meeting you all and becoming friends with anyone who wants to :)

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I'm Linda. I'm from the Phoenix area. I just passed the NREMT registry exam ( and psychomotor) and got my Az state license a week and a half ago.
My first/other career is violinist. I play part time with the Phoenix Symphony and I'm associate concert master of the Arizona Opera Orchestra. I'd always wanted to do something in the emergency medical field and I finally said "why not" and went for it.
I'm really looking forward to getting a job and getting out there on the streets. I'm also looking forward to meeting a lot of you out there! (On the site)

Jason

Medic
I'm Jason. 10yr paramedic, 6yrs Va state CT (cardiac tech), and 7yrs EMT. I've been in the VA EMS system my whole EMS career, (mostly volunteer, some paid, and currently and for many yrs now - in the hospital setting). This site and its forums are great. It's wonderful to be able to pull from such a wide array of experiences and have so many people to ask questions to and bounce things off of.

JWalters

Forum Crew Member
Been lurking awhile and decided to finally sign up and intro myself. About half-way through an EMT-B course and hoping to get into a medic program next fall. Been working as a journalist for several years after getting laid-off from previous work, which was in restorative health care. Made it about three-quarters of the way through nursing school before realizing I don't want to pass meds for the rest of my life. Thinking about getting my FF cert as well..we shall see. I'm 36 with a husband who also is in a (different ) EMT class and currently works for a private EMS company, five kids and a dog. In our spare time (haha) we do a lot of backpacking and canoeing. I'm also a runner. ~jen

MedicDelta

Forum Crew Member
Names Caleb, I'm a certified Emergency Medical Responder(comparable to EMT-B) from Canada. I'm currently in grade 12 with plans to attend a Primary Care Paramedic course with the Justice Institute of British Columbia(same guys I took my EMR with) after high school. After that I will be joining the Canadian Army as a Medical Technician(medic).

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
To all of you that have joined our community recently, welcome. We're glad you're here.

Last edited:

Abe9018

Forum Probie
Hello my name is Abe. I'm 19 years old and I've been an EMT-B for 4 months now. I live in LA county of So Cal. I've seen this site a couple times and figured it was time to join the community. The information and the people seem really helpful and enjoyable! :)

lifeway

Forum Crew Member
Hello Everyone,

I'm a nursing student in
Central America. I became involved with EMS several years ago through volunteering and since have became an EMT-B. I volunteer with local search and rescue and hope to continue my training in emergency medicine which is my passion.

DarkAngel

Forum Ride Along
Hi. My name is Shelby. I'm currently in a small town in Maryland, originally from an even smaller town in Pennsylvania. 20 years as a part time volunteer emt, I am also a full time oncology tech.

Beanie

Forum Probie
I'm totally into anything that has to do with helping people, especially medically. :) Looking to take a local CERT course and hoping that'll open some doors...

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I'm totally into anything that has to do with helping people, especially medically. :) Looking to take a local CERT course and hoping that'll open some doors...
Welcome to EMTLife! Do they have an EMT class at your school? If so I would definitely recommend you take it.

Beanie

Forum Probie
Welcome to EMTLife! Do they have an EMT class at your school? If so I would definitely recommend you take it.

I'm homeschooled so that's not an option, sadly. :/ But I am doing what I can to boost me towards EMS. :) <3

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
hiya :)

I'm Sara. I've been a CNA for 5 yrs. I am starting EMT classes in Jan. My ultimate goal is to be a flight nurse.
Hi Sara! Welcome aboard. Flight Nurse is quite the lofty goal... ;) EMT won't necessarily help you with that now but it'll give you at least more of an understanding of field operations and safety considerations that you won't get in Nursing School. Ever. Make sure you get all your prerequisites completed, and perhaps even any co-requisites done before you really get into nursing school. You also need to work on completing all your Gen Ed stuff so that when you graduate from the program, you graduate from college/university at the same time.

At this point, you may have a harder time switching roles than an EMT might have. I'm a Paramedic as well and I generally had to put my "medic side" on the shelf for a few years. I took it back off the shelf during my last semester... because it wasn't an issue at that point. A good friend and former classmate of mine was a CNA for a very long time. She's a fantastic CNA. She just couldn't figure out how to switch off the CNA when she was in RN school clinicals. If she can figure out that, she'll be a good RN. Unfortunately she failed out and has to start over, maybe even from scratch.

I'm getting back into patient care as a career... first as an RN and when I can, a Paramedic.

Once again, welcome aboard and feel free to participate. We don't bite much... nibble a little on noobs maybe... but we usually respect each other in the morning. :)

Crystal Ann

Forum Ride Along
Hi, my name is Crystal, a single mom of 3, turning 35 in a couple months. :eek: I'm from the SF Bay Area - Future EMS student, the semester doesn't start until January 2015. I currently work for Probation full time and I hope to do some volunteer EMT work or find something part time in the near future. I am so glad that I found this site. I'll be starting from scratch so having a good support system is very important!

Aidan McArthur

Forum Probie
Hi, my name is Crystal, a single mom of 3, turning 35 in a couple months. :eek: I'm from the SF Bay Area - Future EMS student, the semester doesn't start until January 2015. I currently work for Probation full time and I hope to do some volunteer EMT work or find something part time in the near future. I am so glad that I found this site. I'll be starting from scratch so having a good support system is very important!

Nice to have you here!