The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Welcome, Christine! What part of CO? I lived in Boulder for about a year and have family all over the Front Range.

habibti74

Forum Probie
New here too

Hey there -

I'm Elizabeth, 30something, living in Central IL - have worked for 4 years at a Level 1 Trauma as an ED RN and have been working for the past 4 years at a Level 2 Trauma as an ED RN. I recently finished my PHRN (Pre-Hospital RN - we function at a Paramedic level) and am still trying to decide what to do with it - if I should get a 2nd job at the EMS company in town or not, I thought it would be good as I wouldn't mind moving out of this area to Chicago or Detroit sometime in the near future.

I also have experience as an RN in Obstetrics and Peds ICU. I like my job in the ED but I don't know if I can do it the rest of my life. I think it tends to wear a person out in ways that cannot be judged attractive. In EMS you tend to see a person for 10-20 minutes - in the ED we see them 4-6 hours plus! Those people who drive you crazy make OUR lives miserable!

I enjoy the EMS side of it - it's interesting seeing how people live, seeing a different side of the whole experience whereas in the ED they come into OUR world and we take care of them in OUR environment.

I recently went to Haiti and I would love to do more overseas nursing work - maybe in the Middle East - I've thought of getting my Masters in Public Health to help make this happen. So for right now, prob like most others who've been in EMS for a long time - I can say I've seen everything you can imagine and things you don't want to think about. I don't mind my job but I'm not crazy about it.

I'm ready to start a new phase in my life - I just have to figure out how to make it happen. :)

northernnhmedic

Forum Probie
Hey everyone, northernnhmedic here. My real name is Nick, but I also go by bubbles, sparky, hey probie, and hey you guy. Ive been in EMS for a little over 9 years now. I started as an Explorer with my local volunteer squad in northern New Hampshire in 2002 when I was 14. After going on my first run, I was hooked, and its been a long, long, downhill spiral ever since. I took my initial EMT class when I was 17, and took the NREMT-B exam the day after I turned 18. A year later, I was hired with FDNY and moved there in October 2007. I worked a BLS unit in northern Queens for a year and a half before attending Paramedic school in June 2009. It lasted 9 months, and I hit the streets in March 2010 as a medic. After 9 months as a FDNY medic, I decided I had enough of the city life, and I moved back to NH a little under a year ago. I was living in northern NH, and for 6 months worked with AMR in the southern part of the state and commuted the 2 hours back and forth. Which brings us to today. I left AMR in April after learning to hate the commute, and I now spread my time between a full-time gig, 2 per-diems, and a volunteer service.

Roheline

Forum Probie
Hi everyone. I'm Briana but often go by my old nickname "Ro" online. I've been certified as an EMT-B for about a year and a half, hoping to take the NREMT-B exam soon. I'm 23 years old and due to graduate in May, still trying to figure out what to do when I'm done with college.

I'm thinking about medical school but I have so many interests that I'm still trying to explore that I'll probably wait a few years to decide whether or not that would be the best path for me. I've interned with the Park Service and the Forest Service and I'd like to explore wilderness-based EMS more and possibly wildland firefighting. I'm also interested in foreign languages and global public health and looking to see how I can fit those interests in with all the others!

I've browsed this forum before joining and I'm excited to have such a fantastic resource available. I look forward to learning from all of your experiences and expertise!

icefog

Forum Probie
Hey everyone,

I'm Alex, 28, I'm a Rettungsassistent (the rough equivalent of a Paramedic) in Germany, state of North Rhine-Westphalia, originally from Bucharest, Romania.

Back home, I've worked in the NGO sector as a Psychologist on human rights and violence issues across Europe until a few years ago, when I had my first contact with the EMS as a volunteer. It got into my blood right away and I decided to make a career out of EMS (or, well, bury my career in EMS ;) ) - so I moved to Germany to get the training. Now I work in a city the western side of the country, close to the Dutch border (sweet, I know).

I think it's great to have a look at different systems and new ideas, keep your mind open and don't let local protocols blind you to what others are doing - basically, that's what brought me here. That, and some future plans I'm cooking at the moment ;)

DPM

Forum Captain
Hi guys,

Nice looking forum you've got here! I'm a former British Army soldier and now an EMT-B / Student Medic out in California. Having fun looking around here, I'm sure I'll be sending plenty of 'interesting' questions your way!!

Any other UK to US ex-pats on here?

DPM

Lawnmusic

Forum Ride Along
Hey emtlife. I'm from California...and currently reside in the northern part of LA. I've wanted to become an EMT for as long as I can remember and now I'm a few months away (hopefully) from becoming one. I'm excited to learn from your experience and expertise.

Rural EMT

Forum Ride Along
Hey Guys and Girls, my names Brandon, I live in South Africa where I work as a EMT-I and Rural rescue Technician with a Private Ambulance service.
Been in EMS for roughly 4 years now. Loving my lifestyle in the industry and am really keen to see how paramedicine is practiced outside of South Africa.
I am also hoping to gain a bit more knowledge too :blush: Any how see you all on the forum!!!!

KVNY

Forum Ride Along
Sup guys, yet another SoCal EMT. Got my cert a couple months ago and been dropping applications. Cant wait to get the **** outta my retail job and into a job that actually matters and where my co-workers dont come to work high/ drunk (hopefully... :unsure:)

Rettsani

Forum Captain
Ohh ...
Somehow I've read about this topic. I apologize.

My name is Anita, I am 34 years old and come from Cologne in Germany.

Originally I had 1995 - 1998 made ​​in training as a glazier.
At the same time I started a volunteer at the German Red Cross in disaster relief work. But when I realized that I did not love my job as a glazier, I decided to change the profession after completing the training. This was a long stony road. I did not have enough money ...because rescue service training in Germany is very expensive. From 1999 - 2001 helped the German Red Cross, Department of volunteerism to achieve my desire for an emergency services training.
After my training as a EMT I worked until 2006 in several major cities in Germany in the rescue and ambulance services. The work has brought me great joy. 2007 - 2011 have been disaster years for me. I had an accident at work, a sports accident and suffered long under the physical consequences of accidents. I had three major surgeries and had three times during rehabilitation. And now I'm healthy again after a long struggle and hope to get back fast connection. My volunteer work as a EMT for the Red Cross in any case works fine again.

Your forum here I found by chance on Facebook. Read through it and write here, I hope that I can expand my knowledge and improve my English. A nice side effect would be of course, new contacts and friends to write. That would be in addition to my job search a great thing for my start into a new different life.

:)

ups ... now it's once again become very late. Here it is just 4:02 into the night. Time for bed. See you again. ^_^

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Ohh ...
Somehow I've read about this topic. I apologize.

My name is Anita, I am 34 years old and come from Cologne in Germany.

Originally I had 1995 - 1998 made ​​in training as a glazier.
At the same time I started a volunteer at the German Red Cross in disaster relief work. But when I realized that I did not love my job as a glazier, I decided to change the profession after completing the training. This was a long stony road. I did not have enough money ...because rescue service training in Germany is very expensive. From 1999 - 2001 helped the German Red Cross, Department of volunteerism to achieve my desire for an emergency services training.
After my training as a EMT I worked until 2006 in several major cities in Germany in the rescue and ambulance services. The work has brought me great joy. 2007 - 2011 have been disaster years for me. I had an accident at work, a sports accident and suffered long under the physical consequences of accidents. I had three major surgeries and had three times during rehabilitation. And now I'm healthy again after a long struggle and hope to get back fast connection. My volunteer work as a EMT for the Red Cross in any case works fine again.

Your forum here I found by chance on Facebook. Read through it and write here, I hope that I can expand my knowledge and improve my English. A nice side effect would be of course, new contacts and friends to write. That would be in addition to my job search a great thing for my start into a new different life.

:)

ups ... now it's once again become very late. Here it is just 4:02 into the night. Time for bed. See you again. ^_^

Welcome to the forum.Your English is better than my German so don't feel bad :)

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

Actually your English better than my English lol but I'm from Texas so I'm at a natural disadvantage.

Rettsani

Forum Captain
Thank you. Do not worry I'm not trying to be intimidated. I sometimes have to speak English when I work Volunteer in the Medical Center of Mass.

Actually your English better than my English lol but I'm from Texas so I'm at a natural disadvantage.

I do not know which dialects there are in America. I was never in my life is still there and I think it remains a dream even know the American ambulance service.
But I thank you for the compliment.

74restore

Forum Crew Member
Hey all,

Im a college student in Iowa. I will be taking an EMT-B course in the summer of 2012. Its an accelerated 4 week program through Mercy. I will probably be in and out of these forums a lot. Nice to meet you all. I hope my choice to be an EMT will be rewarding and helpful. m

JCyrus

Forum Crew Member
I've been a member since 2005, at which point I was 15 years old and really wanted to become an EMT as soon as I turned 16. I figured I should re-introduce myself since this is my first time actively reading/posting on the forum in a while...

I've spent the last four and a half years volunteering with a wilderness search and rescue team, the first year of that with an EMS based team in SWPA and more recently an independent organized team in West Virginia. I've had a lot of time working alongside EMS providers which has only strengthened the desire I've had since I was 15 to get my EMT. Futhermore, I will be graduating this spring and likely moving to an area that does not have SAR but DOES have volunteer EMS, it's really important to me that I be able to keep up my volunteer work within the emergency services, so I'll be taking EMT-B this Spring in preparation for my move.

OhioEMT

Forum Ride Along
Hello From Ohio

Hello,

I'm David and I currently live in Ohio. I'm 31 years old and originally from Arkansas. I have been in the Fire service for 13 years and served as a EMS first responder during that time. I just got my EMT-Basic certs this year. I work for 3 different companies 2 in Ohio and 1 in PA. The wife is wanting to move to PA so everything will change for me in a few months I'm sure.
One of my hobbies is Buying / Selling / Restoring Lights and sirens.

cynwms

Forum Probie
Nice To Be Here

I'm a 57 yo volunteer EMT-B who has just completed the AEMT course. When I became a Basic in 2003, Alabama was no longer offering the Intermediate certification, however they were talking about bringing it back. After 8 years they came back with the Advanced course. I am looking forward to passing Registry in the next few weeks.

Medic419

Forum Probie
Hello from Pittsburgh

Hi there. Great site you guys have here. My name is Dan. I'm a Paramedic just outside of The City of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. Been a Paramedic since 1995. I now work in an Emergency Room and love what I do. Looking forward to meeting people here.

Dan

jd1626

Forum Ride Along
Paramedic School to Med School

Hi everyone. Did a convoluted route from new orleans police officer-> EMT-B-> 50% of paramedic school->med student. I'm lurking on the boards so I stay aware of EMS reasonings for treatment when looking at scenarios. And I really want to make sure I don't end up being like the ED doc who chewed the crew I was riding 3rd seat with during my first ride along because the guy with the gold patch did pain management for a GI complaint.