The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

SliceOfLife

Forum Crew Member
Hailing from MA here. Like so many others I browsed here a while and found some great discussions. Thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

I have been a basic for 8 years and I just recently (this month) got my medic ticket. I'm pt at a small FD but we only run at the I level, so I'm in the market for a full-time gig. My current profession is not in EMS.

I also recently enrolled in the medic-RN program through Excelsior College. I'm looking forward to others thoughts on that subject.

abandk03

Forum Ride Along
Amy age 37 Social Worker and Pet groomer. Will be taking EMT-B Feb 9th and looking forward to it. I only hope to continue my education in the medical field. I might be 37 but I have many years ahead of me to do what my heart and head tells me!! I have a passion for helping people in need and hope I can make a difference even if just a small one.

Emergency Laughter

Forum Probie
Hi, My name is Mike. Became EMT in 1980, worked in Washington & Hawaii. EMS put me thru Surgical Tech school. 8yrs as Chief Medical Officer on largest mother ship (680ft) in US, fishing Alaska's Bering Sea & Pacific Ocean. 7yrs instructing maritime emergency medicine & BLS thru ARC. Many years trauma surgery. Bone tumor in femur slowed my roll so now volunteer with CERT Programs, Medical reserve corps and published my first book: Emergency Laughter. Look forward to talking with everyone. Mike

masteryman

Forum Ride Along
I'm a full time student at a local university and I can't stand working as a waiter any longer. I need a job that leaves me with a feeling that I accomplished something... ANYTHING!
I just got accepted to an EMT-B program starting this summer.

I'm happy to join this community,

Masteryman

homingmissile

Forum Crew Member
22 and hoping to get into the EMS field. It's early to have what you'd call a mid-life crisis but I have a feeling that I want to do something significant with my life. I think this is a good place to do that.

crashbangboom

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, I'm really excited to be here! I just got my Basic cert in December. I've always been a forum geek so I'm really glad to discover one for EMS that is so large and active and informative.

ponytail

Forum Probie
After years of thinking about it, I finally went ahead and signed up for a basic class. Now halfway through, I love it and hope to continue on to medic or RN program as soon as I'm able.

CaptainKidd

Forum Crew Member
New EMT in SoCal

New EMT as of Dec. 2011 - Graduated from UCLA's CPC. Just trying to get my foot in the door so I can get the experience I need to move up in the world. Goal is ultimately Paramedic. Living is So. Cal. it's gonna be interesting. It's a zoo out there.

Been lurking around on this forum for a bit, and decided it was time to say hello.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pandora

Forum Ride Along
Hi there, everyone!

My name is Melissa and I'm from Southern CT. I just signed up for an EMT-Basic course which starts tomorrow. I am very excited, and hope to get my money's worth out of this course by working hard and learning fast. I have 3 years experience as a veterinary technician, a BA in Biochemistry, and I'm currently working as an Analytical Chemist/IT help. My ultimate goal is medical school, and I am hoping EMT-Basic will help boost my application, as well as provide an excellent, useful skillset.^_^

Talonrazor

Forum Probie
Hello from chilly Alaska!

I am a Shift Lead EMT and primary Training Officer at an emergency services patrol that enforces public intoxication and drug incapacitations laws. A kind of hybrid job using EMTs as sort of correctional officers and homeless service officers, we pick up public inebriates and take them to our detention facility. I am a NREMT-B and State of Alaska EMT-1. I take my EMT-2 class very soon as well as my WEMT through WMI over the next month.

I am also a Combat Medic for an airborne unit in the Army National Guard. I have training in TCCC and advanced medicine as well as limited primary care. Serves me well in my field. Excited to learn here!

Chrashley

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone. My name is Chris and I'm from Indianapolis. I am new to the EMS field but have some backround as my wife is a post op open heart nurse, my brother and brother-in-law are both firemen, and my dad is a pharmacist. I am currently an HVAC tech and have been for 17 years. The market in the field is so saturated and under appreciated that I felt it was time for a change. I am currently in school to get my EMT-B cert with plans to get my Paramedic after that. I look forward to talking and learning with all of you.

EMTLEO

Forum Ride Along
Hi all. I'm Fred, I'm a career Police Officer, and newly certified EMT-B in the Southeast US. I've been lurking for several months and have learned a lot by watching the exchanges here. Hopefully I can continue to learn from, and now participate in, the discussions.

grant

Forum Ride Along
Hi
I'm Grant. Old School Retired Paramedic and miss it a lot.

Nice to see a forum like this.

piton23

Forum Probie
Hello,

Ive been creeping this forum on and off for about a year now. Finally decided to sign up. Im currently a EMR working industrial and will be starting EMT in March

OilRigMedic

Forum Ride Along
Hello!!

Hi guys, and girls. So I just signed up to emtlife and this is my 1st post.

My name is Albert, I'm 36 years young. I am a remote duty paramedic on a
6th generation semi-submersible drilling rig off the coast of Mexico in the gulf. I started as an EMT-B in 1999 and got a job as an ER tech, jumped to EMT-I in 2001 and in 2002 I left the ER for a firefighter job. In 2003, while still with the FD, I received my "paramedic patch". During my time with the FD, I became an ACLS, PALS and CPR/1st Aid instructor as well as a fire instructor (all of which I still am to this day). In 2009, I was hired by another fire department that had "better advancement opportunities" and ending up getting laid off 4 months later due to budget cuts along with 4 other fellow FF. I took to the air and became a long distance transport flight medic on a Learjet. I hated it and the pay sucked. Long story short, I ended up with the offshore company I'm at now, which is AWESOME to work for and pays me more money than I would have ever dreamed of making! I work 28/28 days on/off and helped bring the rig around the world from Singapore last summer.

Well, I hope I didn't bore anyone and hopefully I can make some cool friends on here. Feel free to email me if you have questions (I see there are a lot of of up and comers on here, which is great) or if you just want to say hi.

Cheers!!

ATrain

Forum Crew Member
Hey everybody, EMT-P student from Southern Indiana here. Finishing up ride time at the moment, about 250 hours to go before I can test for my medic. Been an EMT for about 4 years following an inauspicious Navy career as a nuclear reactor operator. Just wanted something with a little excitement.

I worked for a private company for a little over a year, thought I'd gotten my fill so I decided to quit and go work at a factory, but realized how much I missed EMS, so I went back for my medic.

I'm also an Aries, love long walks on the beach (or whatever passes for a beach along the mighty Ohio River), and sushi.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
introduction threads

They almost sound like a cross between a personal and a resume.

Welcome all the same.