The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

Chelle

Forum Crew Member
My name is Michelle. I am an EMT-b in a rural Midwestern town. I'm also a classroom associate (that's ***-ociate to my classroom teacher. Beyotch! :p) I work with a severe & profound little guy everyday. We've come a long way, baby.

I am a lampworker in my spare time (ha). I make glass beads in a torch flame. And I always save the best for last, I'm a wife and mom to a 20, 16 & 12 yr olds. Been married for 22 years and I think that qualifies me for either an award or some good drugs.

I was an EMT over 20 years ago, when I was just 19 and thought I was a woman. A few surgeries, moves and babies later, I let it go. I've wanted to get back to it ever since. So, here I am.

lilsiouXz

Forum Ride Along
intro...

Hey there, so my name is Susie - I'm 39 and have two sons, 20 and 18 - and I'm totally new to this field.

I just completed my EMT-B and state certification in April (VA). I've only stood one clinical in an ER and had my first ride-along last week, looking forward to my second next Thursday.

My instructors are encouraging me to take the accelerated Medic course coming up - August to December. I've gone back and forth in my head a bazillion times, but I do not think I will be doing it. I've asked many EMTs (different levels) for their opinion, and they all seem to agree that I should take some time running with a Rescue Squad before I move on. My EMT-B course was accelerated as well, so I already know the workload - I cannot even fathom what it will be in the Medic course.

This is my plan... I'm applying with the school system to work in a clinic during the day, and I've also applied to run with a squad down at the Oceanfront in the evening.

I am taking the Intro to ALS, Professional Development, Ops, and Basic ECG over the summer, but I think that is as far as I will go until I get a bit more experience under my belt.

I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions you all may have.

TIA,
siouXz

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Welcome both!

As for your question/statement. I am a new EMT-B (long time FR). I am going to medic school this fall. It is a good idea to go while the drive is there, and also, EMT-B is High flow O2 transport. If you like or interested in getting more hands on, I say medic would be good, just keep truckin.My adivce goodluck either way.

Lunah

Forum Crew Member
My instructors are encouraging me to take the accelerated Medic course coming up - August to December. I've gone back and forth in my head a bazillion times, but I do not think I will be doing it. I've asked many EMTs (different levels) for their opinion, and they all seem to agree that I should take some time running with a Rescue Squad before I move on. My EMT-B course was accelerated as well, so I already know the workload - I cannot even fathom what it will be in the Medic course.

I agree that you're wise to NOT jump into medic so quickly, especially given that it's an accelerated course. I went straight from EMT-B to EMT-P, but I did my Paramedic as a two-year degree program with sciences and all that jazz, and I was volunteering with a rescue squad while in school, so I got experience that way before I became a Paramedic.

lilsiouXz

Forum Ride Along
Thanx guys, for the welcome and the comments! I do actually find it all very interesting and I'm pretty eager to soak it all up. I'm quite a nerd of sorts, while others are putting their heads down in class, yawning, and sighing as an indication that the instructor is being long winded - there I sit, taking notes, highlighting my text, and just hanging on every word that is being said, haha.

So I guess another 'kink' I didn't mention earlier is that I will be moving back to Texas around June '10. That was part of my instructors' motivation to get me to go through the accelerated Medic program. He knows financially: I'm in a decent situation; family-wise: My kids are grown and basically take care of themselves; job-wise: I'm not employed at the moment and if I had to stay that way until December, it would be fine.

So this leads me to one more question:

Do you guys think I should just continue to take courses that will apply to Medic until I move (all the while volunteering with a squad) and then sign up for a 2-year Medic program once I get to my destination? I do plan to go in and speak with our Program Director about all of this soon, I just know that she's been trying to steer me towards the accelerated program as well, so not sure how biased she will be.

mct601

RN/NRP
Hey guys

My name is Mitcheal. 19, from Mississippi. I'm currently in school at Pearl River Community College. Will be taking my EMT-B (two nights a week, 6-10pm; 6months long) courses this fall. After that I'll decide whether or not to take paramedic classes (three semesters of paramedicine, etc. and one semester of A&P). I decided to pursue a job in EMS/EMT field this Spring. I'll probably spend much of my time lurking about the forum, taking in all the information and discussion that is available.

NC13

Forum Probie
Hello. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm currently a pre-med student. I first became interested in EMS last year when I decided to join the National Ski Patrol. I became OEC certified last November and did a season of patrolling. After that I decided that I really liked medicine. My EMT-B class starts in July and is 5 weeks. Im hoping my OEC will help me through it. I plan on working for a private company somewhere in Northern California. I'm shooting for Med school, but may end up at PA school. Most PA programs require lots of hours of direct patient care, so I think that being EMT is my best option.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Welcome to everyone. Also don't limit your self, if you want medic be medic..if you want PA be PA..do what interestes you.

XCreativeXNameX

Forum Ride Along
n00b

hey hows it going? I'm new to the scene (starting EMT-B training on 6/1) just joined the site to gain a little knowledge on the job and to learn from what you guys post and gain a better understanding on what I can expect from the exciting career. ^_^

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Welcome, and expect to give O2 for everything, and wrap some wounds..and be paged at 3am for another old person falling, or someone who thinks they are having the worst chest pain of there life..then show up give O2..and it goes away. Thats about most things. Welcome and goodluck.

reaper

Working Bum
Welcome, and expect to give O2 very little, and wrap some wounds..and be paged at 3am for another elderly person that fell, due to a cardiac issue, or someone who knows they are having the worst chest pain of there life..then show up give O2 and do a full medical assessment on the pt. Thats about most things. Welcome and goodluck.

There fixed it for you, so he has a better understanding of what really happens!;)

medic417

The Truth Provider
hey everyone started in 2007 and just made ALS 2009.

new to the forum!

Welcome. Do everything I tell you and you will be alright. Ignore everyone else.:p

medic417

The Truth Provider

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
There fixed it for you, so he has a better understanding of what really happens!;)

Thank you lol, ya I did go a little light on it HAHAHA..didnt want him to think it was that easy lol.