1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Store is open, now with t-shirts and keychains. Click on STORE in the top menu.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

The joys of getting to BLS Pt's.

Discussion in 'EMS Humor' started by COtoWestAfricaMEDIC, Feb 14, 2017.

1. COtoWestAfricaMEDIC

COtoWestAfricaMEDIC Si vis pacem, para bellum

Education:
    Paramedic
    If you are lucky to work as a medic in a progressive state and system you will get this. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VentMonkey likes this.
  2. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Chief Schmief Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Lol, I don't but I absolutely get it.

3. COtoWestAfricaMEDIC

COtoWestAfricaMEDIC Si vis pacem, para bellum

Education:
    Paramedic
    It's nice, I got my privilege taking away for a month once. Haha but I trusted my EMT and a dam RN snitched on me.

4. Handsome Robb

Handsome Robb Youngin' Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    I don't get it...

5. E tank

E tank Forum Lieutenant

BLS'ed a patient with chest pain, maybe? That's all I got...

6. Kevinf

Kevinf Forum Captain

References basics prompting patients to say they have chest pain so the medic has to run the call, I presume.

COtoWestAfricaMEDIC likes this.
  7. Handsome Robb

Education:
    Paramedic
    That's what I gathered. Should read "I'm lazy, pick up my slack!"

8. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Chief Schmief Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Lol, fair enough, but arguably there still should be a bit of confidence instilled in your partner enough so that he or she (the tech) has the confidence in you to trust your initial assessment. With that, if or when they feel something is awry, the paramedic should not chastise them or their feelers/ findings; this I also understand all too well.

9. Tigger

Tigger Dodges Pucks Community Leader

Education:
    Paramedic
    While I tend to agree, I've definitely watched some of my coworkers talk patients into having chest pain. Or badger patients into receiving narcotics when they did not actually want any.

10. Handsome Robb

Education:
    Paramedic
    Very true.

Yet another reason I like dual medic, my call is my call is my call. Only time we have to make a decision on who's call it is is first thing in the morning.

11. johnrsemt

johnrsemt Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    I have had new (or lazy) basics do the following: (Sometimes intentionally sometimes not knowing better)
    Call for medic cause HR was 150 (Temp was 104.9): they were a block from ED, I was 5 miles away> Dispatch sent me. Although it took me awhile to learn than HR goes up about 10-15 for every degree in temp.
    "Sir are you having pain in your chest" During pt assessment: EVERY ONE HE DID FOR first 3 months. Surprising how many people will say yes.
    "Is your pain 10/10?" and before you answer if you say yes then you will get pain relief from medic (didn't tell them they had to wait for medic to arrive, evaluate patient and decide to give them meds.
    The patient is having weakness on one side (Stroke patients got ALS transports): Didn't bother to tell dispatch that the patient was equally weak on the other side.
    She may be having a MI, I need a medic; 25 y/o F fast pitch softball pitcher who took a line drive to the left rib cage. Chest pain started about the time she hit the ground. They were 5 blocks from the ED; I was 2 minutes away. Basic had her on O2, and had given her ASA already; when I arrived he dug out Nitro and was going to give it to her til I stopped him. Tried to get his partner to drive emergent and when I told them both no, he got mad and threatened his partner if she didn't go emergent he would have her fired. I offered to drop him off at the corner.. Then he went and told the Medical director that I refused to treat the pt correctly. 'All" I did was ask her a couple of questions and gave her 100mcg Fentanyl IN; no more pain for awhile.