The Gun Thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I’d ditch a revolver for HD. I mean they’re not obsolete by any means but most modern semi autos will trump a revolver with round capacity and follow up shots any day. Especially a single action only revolver where you have to cock the hammer every time you want to shoot.
If an intruder enters my bedroom, it’s gonna be an old fashioned western shootout.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
If an intruder enters my bedroom, it’s gonna be an old fashioned western shootout.

In that case might I suggest a double-barreled “street howitzer”

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
I’d ditch a revolver for HD. I mean they’re not obsolete by any means but most modern semi autos will trump a revolver with round capacity and follow up shots any day. Especially a single action only revolver where you have to cock the hammer every time you want to shoot.

This...... I think they’re are statistics to back it up but in an home invasion you always need to be prepared for the potential to encounter multiple intruders and/or attackers. Often times at least two. Revolvers have a place and fans, but home defense in my opinion isn’t one of them. When it comes to capacity you have to ask yourself how well do you shoot under pressure, and if the only shooting you have done is at the range then you want as much capacity as possible. Something like a Glock 17 or 19 come to mind for a decent starter semi-auto pistol for HD. Accuracy > caliber, the 5-6 rounds of 9mm you put on target in the middle of the night is better then 10 misses with a hand cannon.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
The sad part is in CA you'll probably be arrested and/or sued by the family. Jokes. I'll never go back to CA.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
How many here drill and train with exertion being part of you routine? Pushups to exertion then shoot, buddy carry 100 yards then shoot, etc.
Shooting from various positions?... kneeing, cornering, on your back, secondary draw, non-dominant hand firing?
Mag reloads? Clearing malfunctions? Go to secondary?

Just popping a few rounds isn't enough.

When it goes down you are going to be under extreme stress, adrenaline pumping, and it will be over way too fast.

Anyone else have this kind of experience?

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Does drinking four margaritas at speed then shooting my tv count? If so...yes.

But seriously, yes. We do combat stress shooting a few times a year, then an Active Shooter with sim rounds using an empty campus with LOTS of running, rescues, and TACMED skills.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
This...... I think they’re are statistics to back it up but in an home invasion you always need to be prepared for the potential to encounter multiple intruders and/or attackers. Often times at least two. Revolvers have a place and fans, but home defense in my opinion isn’t one of them. When it comes to capacity you have to ask yourself how well do you shoot under pressure, and if the only shooting you have done is at the range then you want as much capacity as possible. Something like a Glock 17 or 19 come to mind for a decent starter semi-auto pistol for HD. Accuracy > caliber, the 5-6 rounds of 9mm you put on target in the middle of the night is better then 10 misses with a hand cannon.

Keep in mind that you are accountable for every round that misses. If you hit your kid from a missed shot that's on you. If you hit one of your neighbors that's on you.

You also need to think about the effectiveness of caliber and specific round you are firing. These are gun fights where it doesn't necessarily matter if the bad guy dies in 30 seconds or a few minutes, if they can continue to fire at you they continue to pose a lethal threat. Even a few seconds can make a huge difference between one loser and two losers in a close gun fight.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Keep in mind that you are accountable for every round that misses. If you hit your kid from a missed shot that's on you. If you hit one of your neighbors that's on you.

You also need to think about the effectiveness of caliber and specific round you are firing. These are gun fights where it doesn't necessarily matter if the bad guy dies in 30 seconds or a few minutes, if they can continue to fire at you they continue to pose a lethal threat. Even a few seconds can make a huge difference between one loser and two losers in a close gun fight.

That was kinda my point.. Caliber effectiveness is null and void in a self defense shooting if you can’t put rounds on target for a new shooter, or someone not used to shooting and moving.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I am a huge proponent of 9mm handguns and is what I carry 99% of the time but my nightstand gun is a 1911 that punches groups my Glocks' couldn't dream of. Not that it really matters tho because a potential intruder is going to be dealing with a suppressed SBR.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
How many here drill and train with exertion being part of you routine? Pushups to exertion then shoot, buddy carry 100 yards then shoot, etc.
Shooting from various positions?... kneeing, cornering, on your back, secondary draw, non-dominant hand firing?

When it goes down you are going to be under extreme stress, adrenaline pumping, and it will be over way too fast.

During my brief time in LE we did some exertional firearms training and shooting from cover, vehicles, and various positions. Since then I have taken some local classes, and also have taken a pistol and carbine course with Haley Strategic in AZ and those were hands down some of the best training classes I have ever participated in. I have also heard great reviews from anyone who has taken a Gunsite Academy classes or Sig classes.

I have toyed with the idea of shooting 3 gun for a while, just don't know that I have the time. Range wise I am fairly limited where I live currently but I am looking forward to going back to my old employer in April because a lot of the guys I worked with have large farms in PA and we routinely would get together for shooting events.

If you have access to somewhere to do this type of training and/or practice shooting on the move DO IT. The number of gun owners who routinely train is pretty low, and I would say the number of people who do that type of training is even lower. Invest in a good gun, then invest in training. I know buddies who have a small arsenal at home of some really nice firearms, but have never shot outside of an indoor range and certainly have never practiced shooting on the move etc. Kinda a waste in my opinion but to each their own.

Even the guy going to the indoor range a few times a year is sadly training more then most...

CALEMT

I enjoy just popping a few round just as much as the next guy. But the past year/ year and a half I've been ramping up my range time wanting something more challenging than just popping off rounds. While I don't do pushups or buddy carries I set up multiple static targets, shoot from cover and move to the next "cover" to engage a different target. If I'm with a friend I'll have him load my mags and vise versa. Unknown round count, and sometimes we'll load snap caps in the mags to simulate a malfunction. On a flat static range its pretty easy to do quick reloads and malfunction manipulation, but once you're sprinting between targets and shooting from obscure positions what used to be simple and easy now has a challenge to it. Sometimes I'll add my plate carrier for added difficulty.

Before the naysayers hit with with the BS that no-one is shooting back, I'm still under stress of time and physically stressed. Don't get me wrong I know it's not the same, if I could do force on force with sims I would totally do that. But alas, I'm doing what I can.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Does drinking four margaritas at speed then shooting my tv count? If so...yes.

But seriously, yes. We do combat stress shooting a few times a year, then an Active Shooter with sim rounds using an empty campus with LOTS of running, rescues, and TACMED skills.
Oh yeah! This thread is heating up!

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I put a Bergara B14 Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag on layaway today. Only did layaway cause I had both kids and didnt want to fill out the paperwork.

My 6 year old immediatley started blackmailing me, saying she wouldnt tell my wife if I bought her a toy.

Not sure if parenting win, or fail.

OP
OP
Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I see a Sig P365 in my not-too-distant future.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
I see a Sig P365 in my not-too-distant future.

I have pondered a few times swapping my 1st gen M&P shield for a P365 a few times. I’m just tired of buying new holsters and accessories lol. Pretty much all my LE buddies carry that as their off duty gun and give it rave reviews both for shooting and comfort while concealing.

OP
OP
Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have pondered a few times swapping my 1st gen M&P shield for a P365 a few times. I’m just tired of buying new holsters and accessories lol. Pretty much all my LE buddies carry that as their off duty gun and give it rave reviews both for shooting and comfort while concealing.

I carry a Glock 26 (5th gen) and have been thinking about trying to find something a little slimmer and lighter for daily IWB carry. Was planning on looking at the Glock 43 and the single stack Shield. Sig wasn't even on my radar until I shot a buddy's today and I was thoroughly impressed with how it handled and how much ammo it held in such a lightweight, slim package. I actually liked it better than both my G26 and my Ruger.

I have about $5k worth of guns that I want to add to my collection in the next year, lol.

CALEMT

I love my P365

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I finally got around to drilling my safe and installing electricty and LED lighting. Discovered an extra AR lower in the back. Guess im gonna build a 223 bench gun optimized for heavy bullets.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I have a PPS m1 that is amazing to shoot and easy to carry, I think it's one of the most under rated single stacks out there. If you're looking at concealable single stacks I'd recommend checking it out.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Had a Shield and upgraded to P365. Its a much better pistol as far as a more natural grip and smoother trigger pull.