the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well that's a first.
Get toned out last night at 0200 for a building fire, called in by PD who of course gave the vaguest directions possible (I guess they spotted the fire from the freeway and called it in without actually knowing a specific address/location name). That's not the unusual part.

Fire turned out to be a brush/vegetation fire at an agricultural lot that the whole first alarm stayed to help out (water shuttle and manpower moving the two hoselines used). Also not terribly unusual.

The unusual part was what was burning. A giant pile of mulch. I can see why PD called it in as a building fire because it was a pile as big as a house, easily 10ft tall and well as long and wide as a house lol Cue us being on scene from 0200 to 0400 just flooding this thing so it wouldn't rekindle (several times we'd shut to hoses down and wait a minute and see smoke start to wisp up again)

And of course it was our newly promoted Engineers first shift with us too, like "Welcome to Station 20!"

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Well that's a first.
Get toned out last night at 0200 for a building fire, called in by PD who of course gave the vaguest directions possible (I guess they spotted the fire from the freeway and called it in without actually knowing a specific address/location name). That's not the unusual part.

Fire turned out to be a brush/vegetation fire at an agricultural lot that the whole first alarm stayed to help out (water shuttle and manpower moving the two hoselines used). Also not terribly unusual.

The unusual part was what was burning. A giant pile of mulch. I can see why PD called it in as a building fire because it was a pile as big as a house, easily 10ft tall and well as long and wide as a house lol Cue us being on scene from 0200 to 0400 just flooding this thing so it wouldn't rekindle (several times we'd shut to hoses down and wait a minute and see smoke start to wisp up again)

And of course it was our newly promoted Engineers first shift with us too, like "Welcome to Station 20!"
Fortunately I was off last night, but my station had 4 calls between 0000-0700. I love my 24/72 when I'm off, but it kinda sucks having nights like last night.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
So where I work is losing it’s 911 contract sometime early next year. They won’t even allow anyone to cover open shifts on the 911 side. At least we will have more trucks to use when this contract expires.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
I had a very interesting transport tonight. My partner and I get sent out to help the ALS truck. Hospital to hospital. PT has a bilateral femur fx. (She had a minor disagreement with gravity on concrete steps) So we had to use two traction splints. Then we had to use the scoop stretcher so we could stabilize her even more so we could get her from the hospital bed to the stretcher. She was already on a hoyer sheet which helped. Took us easily an hour and a half to do all of that. At least we had a power loader stretcher. Ended up leaving the traction splints with her at the receiving hospital because no one knew when ortho was going to show up.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I remember one time any moons ago (I was still at PRN my first ambulance job) we had a hospital to hospital (Kaiser), and the patient had a femur fx with a traction splint in place already.
Problem is sending hospital didn't want to send the traction splint (don't remember if it was theirs or it was local FDs and they wanted to keep accountability or what) but they wanted us to switch traction splints to ours....
We called the Supervisor and it was determined that if the higher level of care nurses and doctors said to change the splint, go ahead and change the splint BUT they had to do it themselves (so if something went wrong liability was on them).
I helped hold manual traction of the leg while the nurses changed over, and nothing else really out of the ordinary happened during transport.

That was one of two times I've ever used a traction splint in the real world in however many years of working EMT or Fire lol

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Makes me wonder if there is really such a great need to emphasize them in the curriculum.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Makes me wonder if there is really such a great need to emphasize them in the curriculum.
Newer data out is discussing that. No real improvement over transport and ortho intervention so far. Useful in long transport/Evac situations.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
All I know is we don't even carry a traction splint on any of our Engines. But we do carry a KED and a pedi papoose... and I've used the traction splint more than those two combined lol

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Well when dispatch told us to bring up the traction splint (at that point they didn’t tell us why) my first thought was “thank god there’s no carpet on the floor”

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
All I know is we don't even carry a traction splint on any of our Engines. But we do carry a KED and a pedi papoose... and I've used the traction splint more than those two combined lol

The KED is well past its expiration date as far as I can tell!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I think they finally got rid of them, but the last agency I worked for back in 2017 had to carry mast pants per county requirements.

PotatoMedic

My downstairs neighbors tried to burn the apartment down. Luckily they didn't lock their door so I was able to turn the stove off and fill the pot with water. Smokey smokey smokey.

PotatoMedic

You are SUCH an enabler!
I mostly didn't want MY apartment to burn down. So yes I kept their apartment from burning down since I'm above them. Forgive my selfishness.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Well...leaving in the morning for the annual hunting trip. That back/hip issue I went to the PT for plus getting sick in the week or so leading up pretty much trashed my fitness goals I had for this hunt. Fortunately there won't be a need to pack everything on our backs for miles this year just to get to where we'll be hunting. Here's hoping an interview will be waiting for me on my return.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Well...leaving in the morning for the annual hunting trip. That back/hip issue I went to the PT for plus getting sick in the week or so leading up pretty much trashed my fitness goals I had for this hunt. Fortunately there won't be a need to pack everything on our backs for miles this year just to get to where we'll be hunting. Here's hoping an interview will be waiting for me on my return.

Where you’ll be hunting if you can’t drive to it it’ll only be about a 1/2 mile pack out.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Where you’ll be hunting if you can’t drive to it it’ll only be about a 1/2 mile pack out.
Yea and I am very thankful for the level of accessibility due to that. Although now it looks like we may need to scope out some local dental folks to keep ready for my buddy. We're thriving this year lol.